5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hey Kev 300zx brake howto

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 09:59 PM

Hey Kev 300zx brake howto

Hey Kev,

I can't afford big brake kit or brembo. Would you mind approximating what the 300zx brake conversion would cost?

Could you add the write up to the howtos?

thnx
Old 10-03-2001, 10:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Hey Kev 300zx brake howto

Originally posted by woosh
Hey Kev,

I can't afford big brake kit or brembo. Would you mind approximating what the 300zx brake conversion would cost?

Could you add the write up to the howtos?

thnx
Well I can answer for kev since I asked this question to him a month back. He told me the 300ZX kit would cost about $600-700. I believe he said that would be buying it from a dealer with it being remanufactured.

The HOW TO for this is here on MaximaDriver.com.

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/zbrakes.html

Hope this helps, and kev if I am off on the numbers, my bad.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:58 PM

here's what i paid prolly not the best price you'll ever find.. but anyways

powerslot rotors from godfather racing $175 a pair, shipped
300zx calipers $230 shipped (aluminum calipers for 91' 300zx)
porterfield front brake pads $99 for the front (pair) $49 for rear (pair for 2k maxima)
spring retaining clip for calipers 5.92
caliper rebuild kit $20
metal shims for brake pads $25
goodridge brake stainless steel brake lines (from matthel) $80
motul 600 brake fluid (from matthel) $9/bottle X3

so the grand total comes to a whopping
$710.. definately not the cheapest deal out there.. but i want to make sure i can stop.. you can also subtract the rear brake pads since it's not part of the front brake conversion so.. new total comes to $661 give or take a few dollars. this is all including tax and shipping.. labor all depends on who you take it to.. i plan to do the install with the assistance of a good friend(s)
Old 10-03-2001, 11:04 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Nice! People are answering all questions addressed towards me today.

Daniel's prices are pretty close to what I paid... except I didn't forget to mention the Maxima.org price for the Porterfields.

Thanks for answering guys!
Old 10-03-2001, 11:04 PM

I think I read somewhere on the forum that the stock 17 will NOT clear these, Is that correct?
Old 10-03-2001, 11:06 PM

Hey so I was fairly right.

Question Mingo.............

I read in the MaximaDriver.com website how you need to make sure if the brakes calipers clear the rims.

Well I got new Rims, the same in my Sig. But how am I supposed to know if the wheels clear the 300ZX calipers or not? I mean I dont want to buy and install them and then to realize I cant use my Chrome Rims cause there is not enough clearance. Is there an easier way to do this?

Or do I just make sure my wheel will fit a 300ZX, if they fit a 300ZX, then am I safe to assume they will fit when I do the 300ZX Conversion?
Old 10-03-2001, 11:08 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by woosh
I think I read somewhere on the forum that the stock 17 will NOT clear these, Is that correct?
Correct.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:08 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

If they don't clear, you can always get spacers.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Hey so I was fairly right.

Question Mingo.............

I read in the MaximaDriver.com website how you need to make sure if the brakes calipers clear the rims.

Well I got new Rims, the same in my Sig. But how am I supposed to know if the wheels clear the 300ZX calipers or not? I mean I dont want to buy and install them and then to realize I cant use my Chrome Rims cause there is not enough clearance. Is there an easier way to do this?

Or do I just make sure my wheel will fit a 300ZX, if they fit a 300ZX, then am I safe to assume they will fit when I do the 300ZX Conversion?
worse case scenario, i say wheel spacers would do the fix, it's not really the diameter that will conflict with the brake system, it's the off set.. so if your wheels dont' clear, go get a set of wheel spacers.. my rims should clear the brakes, but i'm not 100% sure.. if not then.. i guess i'll be in the market to buy two new wheels and just use the ones i have now as coffe table stands.. (j/k i'm not rich. i'll prolly get wheel spacers)

i may be wrong with the wheel spacer theory, but it is definately worth a try for it is a great deal cheaper than purchasing new rims..

oh yea and kevin.. i did get the maxima.org discount.. but only on the "maxima" applications.. oh well
Old 10-03-2001, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
If they don't clear, you can always get spacers.
i'm too slow.....
Old 10-03-2001, 11:16 PM

I hear wheel spacers throw off the whole alignment and also do not ensure a balanced ride. I am not going to lie to you, I need my joint balanced like a mug. I mean like a mug. I drive in the DC area and I can say for a fact I take my car easily in the 3 digit speed EVERYDAY.

Cant have shaking wheels.

With wheel spacers, wont that also cause LESS of the bolt to catch on the threads? Or are you talking about the wheel spacers that give you a new set of bolts. But I know with that you are talking about a good 3/4" space, damn, my wheels are going to stick out and alignment.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:20 PM

most of the spacers kit come with new studs, there are a variety of thicknesses you can choose from, i'm dont' know exact specs, but there are a few different ones out there, i've heard good and bad things about them.. i personally would try to stay away from them, but jsut to save a couple hundred if not thousand dollars, i wouldn't mind using them..
Old 10-04-2001, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by mingo
most of the spacers kit come with new studs, there are a variety of thicknesses you can choose from, i'm dont' know exact specs, but there are a few different ones out there, i've heard good and bad things about them.. i personally would try to stay away from them, but jsut to save a couple hundred if not thousand dollars, i wouldn't mind using them..

Can anyone confirm or disprove the worries about the spacers. Does it mess with the ride in anyway?
Old 10-04-2001, 12:20 PM

Lastly can anyone confirm that the Alignment has to be re done? Cause with the wheels pushed out farther, alignment has to be off now.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:27 PM

ok.. correction on the brake set up... kev had his rotors "custom" trimmed down.. i got mine trimmed down at a machine shop and balanced for 85 bux.. i think that's expensive but i want to make sure the rotors are "true" man i still didn't like that cant that the people put holes in my rotors.. you cant see them if you look dead on to them, but you can see them if you look on the side.. they're real shallow holes but still i dont' like them.. but at least they're real balanced.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:27 AM

when you order the 300zx calipers. make sure that they send you the bolts. also make sure that both calipers are off of a twin turbo.. i got jacked on that.. going to call them up tomrrow.. otherwise i'm all good to go