5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Remove Head Lamps

Old 10-05-2001, 10:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Remove Head Lamps Update

Update: I was able to remove the headlamps and clean them with soap and water using the bulb holes. I was able to remove the haze from the inner lens except now I have dried water marks. It is almost impossible to dry the water inside the lens using the bulb holes. Any suggestions or ideas on how to remove water marks without taking the lens apart?

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-05-2001, 11:11 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

they are sealed

all practical purposes. they should be covered under warranty. there is something wrong if you are getting moisture in there. it should be covered under warranty.
Old 10-05-2001, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, like TimW said, should be covered under warranty.

YOU DONT want to open the assembly up, what i mean by that is break the seal and be able to clean the inside of it. Once you break that seal, not only do you void the warranty but also it is always a pain in a A$$ to get it to seal back up properly.
Old 10-05-2001, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Yeah, like TimW said, should be covered under warranty.

YOU DONT want to open the assembly up, what i mean by that is break the seal and be able to clean the inside of it. Once you break that seal, not only do you void the warranty but also it is always a pain in a A$$ to get it to seal back up properly.

Mine has some hazy light yellow marks on the inside. One day I was trying to scrub it out like a madman thinking it was on the outside. If i'm hearing you right, the dealer shouldn't have a problem replacing the lights because of these spots, right?
Old 10-05-2001, 05:14 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

oh.. that.. it *IS* on the outside

most likely. I had the same haze.. look in the 'Cleaning your max' sticky above. its near page 5 or 6.. there are several mentions of good products.

to quote "killrwheels"
"go down to pepboys and pickup Waxshops SAFECUT. It is a plexiglass cleaner and polish with a very light abrasive. It will pull bugs, wax, and film with ease and makes them look new again. Try it on the rears also, and the red will look brand spanking new !!! "

I did this and it worked well on the headlights. but I will add this.. clean them very well first with soap and water then dry. Use a VERY soft cotton cloth or microfiber. While this product did great, I used a rough cotton towel and IT scratched the lights.. I went and got a softer towel and got those scratches out too. thing is, it will show very very fine scratches, but they will be clear and I doubt you will see the scratches they are soooo tiny. seriously, very small. test a spot first and take your time.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:08 AM

Re: they are sealed

Originally posted by TimW
all practical purposes. they should be covered under warranty. there is something wrong if you are getting moisture in there. it should be covered under warranty.
Guys, I dont want to break the seal on the headlamps. I just want to remove the entire lens from the car and try cleaning it from the bulb holes.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:10 AM

Yea how do u remove it????

i want to make my own ae look headlights.. but i don't know how to take the headlamp off?? i'm not sure but i think i remember a post b4 that u need to take the bumper off.. is that right??
Old 10-07-2001, 11:22 AM

Re: Remove Head Lamps

Originally posted by titot4u
Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the head lamps from a 2001? I noticed a film build-up from the inside of the lamp and it's driving me crazy. I would like to remove them to clean them.

Thanks in advance...
i have the same problem. i took it to the dealer but they said that's just normal 'aging' process...wtf....
Old 10-09-2001, 05:10 AM

Re: Remove Head Lamps Update

Originally posted by titot4u
Update: I was able to remove the headlamps and clean them with soap and water using the bulb holes. I was able to remove the haze from the inner lens except now I have dried water marks. It is almost impossible to dry the water inside the lens using the bulb holes. Any suggestions or ideas on how to remove water marks without taking the lens apart.

Updated thread 10/9/2001
Thanks in advance...