5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I want a new grille.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 07:42 PM

I want a new grille.....

Where can I find a really good looking grille for my 2000 SE? Any ideas??
Old 10-09-2001, 09:23 PM

Custom

Try the gutter guard from home depot. I used it for the bottom of my grill and am working on cutting it to fit the top. See my cardomain page for a better pic.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thread to Street Scenes grill

The grill on the top is like $120. You can buy it here at Stylin Compacts

The manufactures website is Street Scene Equipment But they dont show the application for a MAX, but obviously they do make it.

Hope this helps.

Dixit,
Old 10-09-2001, 10:31 PM

To those who installed the Home Depot custom grille, I have a few questions.
1) What is the mesh made of? My concern that it can rust and stain the bumper finish.
2) How does that affect engine operating temp./air intake?
3) where can I get it chrome dipped?

It'd be nice to have smthg to protect the radiator from leaves, bugs, road stones, etc + aesthetically. Someone posted here a pic of an upper grill mesh insert, but unless its too damn ooglie (unless chromed or painted) Just dont feel like paying 100 bucks for a custom insert. Hook a brotha up!
Old 10-10-2001, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
To those who installed the Home Depot custom grille, I have a few questions.
1) What is the mesh made of? My concern that it can rust and stain the bumper finish.
2) How does that affect engine operating temp./air intake?
3) where can I get it chrome dipped?

It'd be nice to have smthg to protect the radiator from leaves, bugs, road stones, etc + aesthetically. Someone posted here a pic of an upper grill mesh insert, but unless its too damn ooglie (unless chromed or painted) Just dont feel like paying 100 bucks for a custom insert. Hook a brotha up!
I believe the grill is made of aluminum. I know this for a fact cause if it was made of steel, it would've rusted by now. So no worries on rust stains. It will not affect engine temp or air intake. Fine mesh would affect is VERY little, but this aint a ine mesh grill.

Not recommeded to get it chrome dipped. It is too delicate of a grill, the minute you bend it while installing, it will break the chrome finish and start to peel.

Dixit
Old 10-10-2001, 05:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey guys, this past weekend I installed the ooglie lower section grille and it was pretty easy and came out very nice.
I had some mesh left over (enough to try and do the large front section), but I could not figure out how to take it off. I wanted to place the mesh behind the grille, but close enough for it to be noticeable, and the best way I saw to fit and cut the pieces was by taking the grille off.
I got to a point where I had removed all conceivable screws and fasteners, and it still wouldn't budge, I pulled on it a little harder and noticed that it was attached (formed) with the whole front bumper section. Are these two things (front grille and front bumper) actually one piece??
Old 10-10-2001, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by Hotnicks
Hey guys, this past weekend I installed the ooglie lower section grille and it was pretty easy and came out very nice.
I had some mesh left over (enough to try and do the large front section), but I could not figure out how to take it off. I wanted to place the mesh behind the grille, but close enough for it to be noticeable, and the best way I saw to fit and cut the pieces was by taking the grille off.
I got to a point where I had removed all conceivable screws and fasteners, and it still wouldn't budge, I pulled on it a little harder and noticed that it was attached (formed) with the whole front bumper section. Are these two things (front grille and front bumper) actually one piece??
HAHAHA, I did the same thing, And YES the front grill is attached to the bumper so it aint moving. Now I wanted to get the mesh on the back, but there is one guy on the org that did the mesh but actually put it on from the front. It looked very nice, but I dont think I have the time and patience to cut and make templates and squeeze it in there without scratching anytwhere.

I actually might drop the whole bumper if I get myself into it.

Dixit
Old 10-10-2001, 06:23 AM

Man, that's too much work!! The stuff I used was pretty thick, so cutting and bending individual pieces will not be easy for me to try something like that.
I *might* give it another go this weekend, and try to remove the whole front bumper (weather permitting). If I try it, I'll let you know how I did.....
Old 10-10-2001, 06:25 AM

Man, that's too much work!! The stuff I used was pretty thick, so cutting and bending individual pieces will not be easy for me to try something like that.
I *might* give it another go this weekend, and try to remove the whole front bumper (weather permitting). If I try it, I'll let you know how I did.....
Cool, I will attempt to do it from the front......
Old 10-10-2001, 07:06 AM

Guys, Don't use the mesh from Home Depot, the wiring is too thin, and IT DOES RUST. I had customed the front with the Home Depot Mesh (HDM for short, I'll probably use it later) and I had to take it off because the wiring was see through, and I also noticed the back was rusting. If you want to install a "mesh grill", I can get a thicker, no-rust type of mesh for you, about 24in. by 8' which looks a whole lot better for 50 dollars. I'm in NYC, so if you live around here, I can show you my custom work. For those that don't live around here, I'll try to get a pic up, I just need someone with a digital cam, or even just a camera. Hope this helps.

RPNY
Old 10-10-2001, 07:17 AM

That was one of my concerns when I bought the mesh at Home Depot. I asked one of the salesmen if they had anything that was rust proof. He actually pointed me out to some kind of debris-shield for gutters (sounds crazy huh?). But it turns out that the package came in fairly small sections, and most importantly was rust-proof. The only thing was that it made it difficult to cut because of its thickness.
Old 10-10-2001, 07:19 AM
PhatGuy

Well the offical "Gutter Guard" mesh from Home Depot will not rust.
$3.00US

Originally posted by ReprEsenTin NY
Guys, Don't use the mesh from Home Depot, the wiring is too thin, and IT DOES RUST. I had customed the front with the Home Depot Mesh (HDM for short, I'll probably use it later) and I had to take it off because the wiring was see through, and I also noticed the back was rusting. If you want to install a "mesh grill", I can get a thicker, no-rust type of mesh for you, about 24in. by 8' which looks a whole lot better for 50 dollars. I'm in NYC, so if you live around here, I can show you my custom work. For those that don't live around here, I'll try to get a pic up, I just need someone with a digital cam, or even just a camera. Hope this helps.

RPNY

Old 10-10-2001, 07:26 AM

Hey, that's exactly what I used

PhatGuy, is there a reason why you installed the mesh in from the back?
I put mine in the front so you wont see the vertical "sticks" of the bumper.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:15 AM
PhatGuy

I did it that way since it only took 2mins and no cutting involved. Do you have pics of your grille installed? I assume you did some custom cutting? What color is your car? What color ties did you use?

My main concern with the front install was the ends not being able to attach them to anything. I thought they might rattle or flap around?

Hey, that's exactly what I used

PhatGuy, is there a reason why you installed the mesh in from the back?
I put mine in the front so you wont see the vertical "sticks" of the bumper.

Old 10-10-2001, 09:01 AM

I should be borrowing a digital camera this weekend, I'll take some pics and post them. (where can I put the pics?)
My car is black, and I used white tie wraps on the top section of the mesh (not really notice-able).
You are right about the ends, but I cut them a little smaller so that if they do move around with the wind, they wouldn't hit anything. I have no rattles or anything, and the stuff is pretty sturdy, so it hasn't moved yet with alot of 80+mph driving.