5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

For those that have had the Fuel Cut TSB done

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 10:03 AM

For those that have had the Fuel Cut TSB done

I recently got this mod done and I am pretty damn impressed. I can notice a difference at all ranges of the RPM. I think I have read everyones comment about twice on thios forum...but I want to add my comments.

The throttle is a lot less sensitive when barely tapping on the gas at any RPM and any gear. Before I had this done it was either "power on or power off" now you can give it some gas and let off the throttle without the slight bucking that the fuel cut had before. I could go on and on about this...but I won't! If you have not had this done I highly recommend it!

On another note...I have not driven enough miles to make a formal complaint but I am concerned that my mileage has gotten worse since the fix. My first tank I only got 210 miles out of 14.5 gallons! This tank I am eyeballing the gauge all of the time to see approximately what I going to get.

Would lowering the pressure in the tires from 36 to 32 make that much of a difference? I also put in a K&N drop in filter...would that make my mileage worse?

Any suggestions or ideas!?
Old 10-12-2001, 10:24 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: For those that have had the Fuel Cut TSB done

Originally posted by MOBOY
I recently got this mod done and I am pretty damn impressed. I can notice a difference at all ranges of the RPM. I think I have read everyones comment about twice on thios forum...but I want to add my comments.

The throttle is a lot less sensitive when barely tapping on the gas at any RPM and any gear. Before I had this done it was either "power on or power off" now you can give it some gas and let off the throttle without the slight bucking that the fuel cut had before. I could go on and on about this...but I won't! If you have not had this done I highly recommend it!

On another note...I have not driven enough miles to make a formal complaint but I am concerned that my mileage has gotten worse since the fix. My first tank I only got 210 miles out of 14.5 gallons! This tank I am eyeballing the gauge all of the time to see approximately what I going to get.

Would lowering the pressure in the tires from 36 to 32 make that much of a difference? I also put in a K&N drop in filter...would that make my mileage worse?

Any suggestions or ideas!?
Thanks for the update. Let me know how the fuel mileage turns out.

I getting the TSB done ASAP.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:30 AM

Recently done

No changes in gas mileage as far as I can tell, any changes would be negligible. As far as overall drivability...WAY better. Don't have any insight as to tire pressure.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My mileage also went down slightly after the TSB was applied. I do 90% highway driving and consistantly get about 24mpg, driving 65-75. Note: I also have Yakima racks on my roof with the wind deflector. I'm sure that doesn't help me.

I have not seen a difference either way with K&N drop-in.

Lowering tire pressure will probably make things worse, though not much if you are only going from 36 to 32psi.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2001, 11:55 AM

I will!

Originally posted by jnovember
My mileage also went down slightly after the TSB was applied. I do 90% highway driving and consistantly get about 24mpg, driving 65-75. Note: I also have Yakima racks on my roof with the wind deflector. I'm sure that doesn't help me.

I have not seen a difference either way with K&N drop-in.

Lowering tire pressure will probably make things worse, though not much if you are only going from 36 to 32psi.

Good luck!
I will keep you guys updateed on the mileage. It has me concerned but I am just going to watch it for a tank or two. I have been getting about 22 mpg since I bought the car...I know...it sucks! But 22 mpg is a lot better than 210/14.5 gallons = 14.5 mpg

BTW I am running on Nitto Tires (50 max...and I am running 32 psi) I don't think the tire pressure would make that big of a difference.

UPDATE......

It must have just been a fluke or something. My gas mileage is the same as before....22 mpg. I also wanted to add that although I recommend getting this done...I don't see much of a difference in bumper to bumper traffic. Does anyone else feel the same about this?