5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BigDogJonX or IceY2K1's setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 10:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

BigDogJonX or IceY2K1's setup?

So far I count 5 guys with the 2K2 HIDs installed. Subtract Alex and Dixit, there's three of you who have done the conversion. Which write-up did you use?

I just read through Dixit's writeup thoroughly and it seems to not have the problems that Alex mentioned (indicator light flickering, high-beam flicker when you cycle through the light settings). I also checked Alex's setup with the relays, and it seems about the same as Dixits, with the addition of the relays. The only big difference is how they wired the Hi beam plug. They seem to have different ideas where these wires should be connected.

Any opinions on which setup is safer\more reliable?

I'll be installing my 2K2 HIDs on my 2K Maxima as soon as I get some feedback.

Thanks,
Old 10-12-2001, 10:43 PM

i went with bigdog's. have had 0 problems so far. very reliable and easy. i did the original writeup so i'll be redoing the ground tomorrow. and i need to add relays as well.
i think kev used ice's writeup. don't know about anyone else. i know dromed did the conversion too, but i can't remember which procedure he used. could pm him if you wanted.
Old 10-12-2001, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by serin
i went with bigdog's. have had 0 problems so far. very reliable and easy. i did the original writeup so i'll be redoing the ground tomorrow. and i need to add relays as well.
i think kev used ice's writeup. don't know about anyone else. i know dromed did the conversion too, but i can't remember which procedure he used. could pm him if you wanted.
What are the relays for? If BigDog's setup works without them, why add them? I'd rather not have to use relays, so I don't have to go look for them somewhere local
Old 10-12-2001, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Tanmann9

What are the relays for? If BigDog's setup works without them, why add them? I'd rather not have to use relays, so I don't have to go look for them somewhere local
both ice's and bigdog's original writeups didn't account for the factory alarm. when the alarm triggers, it honks the horn and flashes the low beams. apparently not good for the HID elements. they've presumably come up with a work around for that with the relays. it'll flash the hi beams instead. the most recent update that i know of is 2 relays per side to work. i'm waiting on the diagrams to do it myself. no rush on this for me cuz my alarm has never gone off.
normal functionality is just fine tho. one modification. if you go with bigdog's writeup, make sure you ground the HID directly to the chassis and not the factory ground wire. this way, the HID's will stay on with the hi beams. that's what i'm doing tomorrow as well as installing the clips. should only take 30 min for both sides tops.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:15 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

?

do the lows remain on with the highs on a 2k2?
Old 10-13-2001, 01:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

both ice's and bigdog's original writeups didn't account for the factory alarm. when the alarm triggers, it honks the horn and flashes the low beams. apparently not good for the HID elements. they've presumably come up with a work around for that with the relays. it'll flash the hi beams instead. the most recent update that i know of is 2 relays per side to work. i'm waiting on the diagrams to do it myself. no rush on this for me cuz my alarm has never gone off.
normal functionality is just fine tho. one modification. if you go with bigdog's writeup, make sure you ground the HID directly to the chassis and not the factory ground wire. this way, the HID's will stay on with the hi beams. that's what i'm doing tomorrow as well as installing the clips. should only take 30 min for both sides tops.
Serin just to clean things up, I only installed the RELAY for the alarm cut off. I used the relay to get rid of the alarm flash problem. I posted a thread like 2days ago on it. All I did was tap into a IGNITION POWERED wire (I took the O2 sensor wire) and ran that to the relay. Cut the PINK wires off the original Headlamp relays (which are alarm trigger and ALSO headlight turn on wires) and ran that into the relay and then also got ground from the body. Basically alarm WILL NOT flash the lights anymore since the car is not on. ALL OTHER FUNCTIONS remain the same.

I will hopefully make a write up on it tommorow by 5pm. PM me if you got any questions or issues.

Dixit
Old 10-13-2001, 01:28 AM

Re: ?

Originally posted by TimW
do the lows remain on with the highs on a 2k2?
TimW, the LOWS (Xenons) do remain on with the HIGHs with my new setup. Only difference is that instead of connecting the ground Xenon wire to the ground LOW wire of the H4 plug, I connected it straight to the body.

And NO there will not be a load issue, the 12V positive wire will at max take a 90watt load, which it CAN handle given there is a safety on the fuse to blow at 160watts.

Dixit
Old 10-13-2001, 06:50 AM

Re: Re: ?

Hey BigDog, I think Tim was wondering how Nissan has it set up on the 2K2 Maxima. Maybe if someone dissected the set up on the 2K2 model, we could get a fool-proof plan for the install on our cars.

Can't wait to see your newest write-up. Still foggy about the relays
Old 10-13-2001, 07:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: ?

Hey BigDog, I think Tim was wondering how Nissan has it set up on the 2K2 Maxima. Maybe if someone dissected the set up on the 2K2 model, we could get a fool-proof plan for the install on our cars.

Can't wait to see your newest write-up. Still foggy about the relays
I checked out at the dealer last night and on the actual 2k2 maxima, the HID's stay on when the high beams are turned on. To me the relay SOUNDS much tougher than it probably is. It's just harder to understand everything without the stuff in front of you and without a schematic.
Old 10-13-2001, 08:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ?

Originally posted by Keh mon

I checked out at the dealer last night and on the actual 2k2 maxima, the HID's stay on when the high beams are turned on. To me the relay SOUNDS much tougher than it probably is. It's just harder to understand everything without the stuff in front of you and without a schematic.
Maybe if we could persuade one of the 2K2 owners on the forum to take apart his headlight connections and diagram how Nissan has everything wired. That'd be helpful
Old 10-13-2001, 11:36 AM

Not to sound retarded or offensive, but having one of the 2K2 people open up their headlamp housing and figure out the wiring wont help us at all. We have the exact same wiring on the housing itself since it it is the exact same part. The only thing different is that got a plug that goes into each connector without BUTT connectors and what not.

But een if we knew where the wiring was going for each wire, that would not help us one bit cause our car's have completely different wiring.

I mean DAMN, the wiring changed from 2K to 2K1 and again from 2K1 to 2K2!!

Dixit
Old 10-13-2001, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

I mean DAMN, the wiring changed from 2K to 2K1 and again from 2K1 to 2K2!!

Dixit
Uh-oh. I haven't been keeping up with other threads about the 2K2 HID conversion, so this question may be redundant. Are the write-ups completely applicable for the 2K Maxima, or are they only completely assured for the 2K1?
Old 10-13-2001, 04:54 PM

Uh-oh. I haven't been keeping up with other threads about the 2K2 HID conversion, so this question may be redundant. Are the write-ups completely applicable for the 2K Maxima, or are they only completely assured for the 2K1?
Applicable to both years.

Dixit
Old 10-13-2001, 07:25 PM

Applicable to both years.

Dixit
I just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys for working on wiring for the lights. Dixit, I used your install today, and when I actually had all the wires and assembly infront of me, it was SO easy! wow. I haven't added the relays yet, but they'll be going on sometime.
Old 10-13-2001, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Keh mon

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys for working on wiring for the lights. Dixit, I used your install today, and when I actually had all the wires and assembly infront of me, it was SO easy! wow. I haven't added the relays yet, but they'll be going on sometime.
Glad that it is easy and makes your life easier. Yeap I had to go through about 4hrs of figuring the crap out, but dont mean everyone else has to.

Dixit
Old 10-13-2001, 09:22 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

those write-ups work on the earliest 2K's out there.. I have a 6/99 and the wire colors match.
Old 10-13-2001, 11:35 PM

Serin just to clean things up, I only installed the RELAY for the alarm cut off. I used the relay to get rid of the alarm flash problem. I posted a thread like 2days ago on it. All I did was tap into a IGNITION POWERED wire (I took the O2 sensor wire) and ran that to the relay. Cut the PINK wires off the original Headlamp relays (which are alarm trigger and ALSO headlight turn on wires) and ran that into the relay and then also got ground from the body. Basically alarm WILL NOT flash the lights anymore since the car is not on. ALL OTHER FUNCTIONS remain the same.

I will hopefully make a write up on it tommorow by 5pm. PM me if you got any questions or issues.

Dixit
okay... well i'm sure all the wiring will make sense once i've seen the diagram and have it in front of me cuz i haven't got a clue where those wires are.
does ice's relay writeup cut the lights out from the alarm too? or does it flash the hi beams?
Old 10-13-2001, 11:38 PM

okay... well i'm sure all the wiring will make sense once i've seen the diagram and have it in front of me cuz i haven't got a clue where those wires are.
does ice's relay writeup cut the lights out from the alarm too? or does it flash the hi beams?
His diagram solves the Highbeam problem I once had. He still has the alarm problem. But my alarm fix solves that. My alarm fix will work on either wiring deal, no matter if you have a 3rd or 4th version to it.

I solved my highbeam problem by simply grounding the xenon plug wire to the body instead of taking it to the low ground wire on the H4 plug.

Dixit
Old 10-15-2001, 08:02 PM

When you mark the original positions of the headlights, how far should you be from the wall?

I read in one of the threads that you should be 19' from the wall?? I like to do work in my garage, and don't have that much space. I'd rather not do this in a parking garage or a parking lot. What did you guys do?
Old 10-15-2001, 09:01 PM

When you mark the original positions of the headlights, how far should you be from the wall?

I read in one of the threads that you should be 19' from the wall?? I like to do work in my garage, and don't have that much space. I'd rather not do this in a parking garage or a parking lot. What did you guys do?
Doesnt matter how far you are, just mark it prior to removal of old headlight and maintain it to the install of the new one.

Dixit