5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sorry if this isn't the right place, but $21996 for 2k2 Maxima?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 11:35 PM

Sorry if this isn't the right place, but $21996 for 2k2 Maxima?!

I saw an ad in today's paper for a 2k2 Max for $21996 (2 at this price type dealy). Even the cheapest, absolute bare Max *should* cost more right? Is that a good deal or too good to be true?
Old 10-12-2001, 11:38 PM

Re: Sorry if this isn't the right place, but $21996 for 2k2 Maxima?!

Originally posted by hawk
I saw an ad in today's paper for a 2k2 Max for $21996 (2 at this price type dealy). Even the cheapest, absolute bare Max *should* cost more right? Is that a good deal or too good to be true?
lemon? jacked up and fixed again max? defective car? find out about it and do a backround check on the vehicle.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:40 PM

It's probably the dealer putting up a BS ad to lure buyers in. When you go in they'll say they just sold it but you wanna look at this one?...Happened many times with my parents..
Old 10-12-2001, 11:44 PM

Yeah, but the cool thing is, two different dealers both are advertising "will match or beat any advertised prices this weekend" or something...so that is as good a price as I think? =)
Old 10-12-2001, 11:44 PM

Re: Sorry if this isn't the right place, but $21996 for 2k2 Maxima?!

Man it was the same deal when I bought my 2k Max...in every paper, some dealership is gonna pull this.

It's the BASEST (yeah I'm makin up my own words) model you can get your hands on. No options, no rims, no power seats, NOTHING. Then you get there, they show you the car, they try to sell you a higher priced one, you'll take the higher priced one cuz he'll say "well for just this much $$, you can have THIS!". You'll be like "oooh, ahhhh" and whip out the check book. Once you get home, "D'oh!"

The lowest price I saw for my 2K (I bought at the end of model year 2K) was 17K, but after I got my crappy rims, power seat, premium stereo, blah blah blah, I was up to ~21K. With the financing, tax, title, etc., it totalled to a little over 24K.

From what I understand, that's where the dealer makes money:
1) The options
2) The financing

So hell no, they're not gonna let you walk out of that show room with a 2K2 Max for 22K.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:46 PM

Re: Re: Sorry if this isn't the right place, but $21996 for 2k2 Maxima?!

From what I understand, even the "crappiest" Maxima has power options, HIDs, etc. That's why I was so surprised, I mean they can't take stuff off right? 16" rims are std. on the cheapest one, so I don't think this car can be like just the engine or something...

Originally posted by NJ_MAX2000

Man it was the same deal when I bought my 2k Max...in every paper, some dealership is gonna pull this.

It's the BASEST (yeah I'm makin up my own words) model you can get your hands on. No options, no rims, no power seats, NOTHING. Then you get there, they show you the car, they try to sell you a higher priced one, you'll take the higher priced one cuz he'll say "well for just this much $$, you can have THIS!". You'll be like "oooh, ahhhh" and whip out the check book. Once you get home, "D'oh!"

The lowest price I saw for my 2K (I bought at the end of model year 2K) was 17K, but after I got my crappy rims, power seat, premium stereo, blah blah blah, I was up to ~21K. With the financing, tax, title, etc., it totalled to a little over 24K.

From what I understand, that's where the dealer makes money:
1) The options
2) The financing

So hell no, they're not gonna let you walk out of that show room with a 2K2 Max for 22K.
Old 10-13-2001, 01:01 AM

I haven't done the research on the 2K2 pricing (cuz I'm not looking to buy), but if it's too good to be true, then it's probably not true.

It's a rule of thumb man.

It wouldn't be too bad if you were planning on installing an aftermarket stereo, fogs, rims anyways and didn't mind NOT having leather, spoiler, nav, climate, sun/moon-roof, etc.

Seriously, if all you care about is the HID's then yes, it's possible.

But being a member of the male population, you will NOT walk out of there with a bare Max

In addition, don't forget tax, title, destination, and interest if you finance. All that will probably put you over 24K all said and done for a BASE BASE 2K2 Max.

But I guess that's still better than a fully loaded Camry (PUKE!).

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/niss...6m/prices.html

Check the dealer invoice on the base/optionless Max and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 10-13-2001, 10:06 AM

be careful 'cause it bought me too-deceiving advertising. Read the fine print, it should say "dealer-instaleld options are not included). Go to carpoint.com, the invoice on bare-bones 2k2 (GXE that is) 22.8K. When you come to a dealer and ask to see the same car featured in the add, they may tell you that car comes with pinstriping and charge you $600 bucks for it, and some other **** like paint protection.
My 2K GXE was advertised in Baltimore Sun for 18,560 (whereas the invoice is 19,270) Once I got there, had to negotiate to bring the price down. Now we were talking off the invoice...$150 over invoice...they just lure people in.
Old 10-13-2001, 10:35 AM

If there is a stock # in the paper. That is the only one!

QUOTE]Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
be careful 'cause it bought me too-deceiving advertising. Read the fine print, it should say "dealer-instaleld options are not included). Go to carpoint.com, the invoice on bare-bones 2k2 (GXE that is) 22.8K. When you come to a dealer and ask to see the same car featured in the add, they may tell you that car comes with pinstriping and charge you $600 bucks for it, and some other **** like paint protection.
My 2K GXE was advertised in Baltimore Sun for 18,560 (whereas the invoice is 19,270) Once I got there, had to negotiate to bring the price down. Now we were talking off the invoice...$150 over invoice...they just lure people in.
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-13-2001, 10:59 AM

Yeah, they have the stock numbers, but there are 2 of them.

I wouldn't mind having the 255 engine and the HIDs and that's it, modding it later. But I probably won't/can't get this. Ah well, it's probably "gone" if I go and check it out. Stupid dealers.
Old 10-13-2001, 11:45 AM

Try a 2K1 if you can find it

I know you don't get the 255hp and HIDs but I just picked up a green 2K1 GLE with everything but the sunroof (I'm too tall to have a sunroof) for a meager 23K

LOVING IT! Mui bueno compared to the Integra GS-R I turned in.

--Chris
Old 10-13-2001, 11:52 AM

holy, that's cheap. I was actually looking for a deal on a bare 2k1 GXE manual, but no one seems to have one anymore.
Old 10-13-2001, 01:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rocketshipon19"
[B]If there is a stock # in the paper. That is the only one!

Yep, my car's ad had a stock# so I know its my car. And yes, it is as bare-bone as they come, 2K GXE manual..
Old 10-13-2001, 01:34 PM

Re: Try a 2K1 if you can find it

Originally posted by vandi
I know you don't get the 255hp and HIDs but I just picked up a green 2K1 GLE with everything but the sunroof (I'm too tall to have a sunroof) for a meager 23K

LOVING IT! Mui bueno compared to the Integra GS-R I turned in.

--Chris

thats likely not a GLE...GLE's already come w/sunroof from the factory...thats why you bought it for 23K...seems you got a loaded SE, still hell of a deal.
Old 10-13-2001, 01:56 PM

Re: Re: Try a 2K1 if you can find it

actually that is not true!

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

thats likely not a GLE...GLE's already come w/sunroof from the factory...thats why you bought it for 23K...seems you got a loaded SE, still hell of a deal.
Old 10-13-2001, 02:05 PM
maxgsxr1

22,999 for 2k2 auto se max. quirk nissan braintree mass. in the boston globe.

Old 10-13-2001, 02:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Try a 2K1 if you can find it

Originally posted by rocketshipon19"
actually that is not true!
since when you have to pay extra for a sunroof on GLE? Dunnow about 2k2 model year, but for 2K all GLEs came w/sunroof as a standard feature. Sunroof, climate ctrl, 17" alloys, leather interior, BOSE, power seat(s). Look it up on carpoint.com & edmunds.com if they still have this info.
Old 10-13-2001, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2k1 GLE

Maybe its not same with Older or Newer GLE's but 2K1 featured Sunroof as an "OPTION" not "STANDARD" equipment.

Anyways I bought mine for $22,680 in July (incl. nose mask)
w/o Sunroof.
Old 10-13-2001, 09:49 PM

Nope, sunroof is standard on the SE, not GLE (I wanted a GLE with no Sunroof but they usually add it in for you anyway).
Old 10-14-2001, 07:25 AM

Nope, sunroof is standard on the SE, not GLE (I wanted a GLE with no Sunroof but they usually add it in for you anyway).
yo it is a bull**** I guess you paid what they told you for your car and didn't bother reading the stickers. I'm saying check carpoint.com, edmunds.com, and refer to your original window sticker for list of ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT.

Sunroof is optional on GXE and SE, standard on GLE, at least for up to 2k1 model year, check my sources if you dont bewieve me. If you have a sunroof on SE, it means it came with an option package (like leather seating) which is extra $. On GLE, everything is standard at no-charge, 'cause the only option is heated seats.
Old 10-14-2001, 08:49 AM

kinda long but...

Yeah, but the cool thing is, two different dealers both are advertising "will match or beat any advertised prices this weekend" or something...so that is as good a price as I think? =)
Be better check carefully, cuz some times they advertise at a very agressive low price or say they beat any better price and it's thrue, but many options and services are not includes, so the extra charge could be a real joke at the end. Ask the salesman before what are the extras charges, like transport, warranty and services. Depending if you want to buy or lease, the options may change, so dont hesitate to ask questions to the rep, take notes and back at home you will have all the time to figure what's best for you.

Dont forget some people want your " good " and they'll do anything to get it. I have a few tips for new buyers, first, when ever a salesman give you some numbers, wheter for buy or lease, never tell him that he's throwing you a good deal, dont show you're excitment and dont smile, cuz then he know you're emotional, once they know that it is fairly easy to cornered an anthusiast and have him signed on the spot. Never sign a contract on the first visit, take some times back at home to evaluate your options, always compare with 2 dealers propositions, use one dealer against the other for price and conditions ( specially if you know that there is a competition between the 2 ), sometimes a dealer seing that he's loosing you as a customer, might throw you is best deal in a desparate move to sell you the car, less money is better then no money some would said. Check to see which dealer outpace the other one in term of the interest they give you. I prefer to give my money to someone who show me is interest and is willing to treath me right.

cheers and good shopping.

doublea
Old 10-14-2001, 07:06 PM

Re: Re: Try a 2K1 if you can find it

Nope .... definitely a GLE .... checked the VIN, but you did have me sweating there for a minute .

I posted a request for advice on mods as a new thread ... any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

--Chris

Old 10-14-2001, 07:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Try a 2K1 if you can find it

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vandi
[B]Nope .... definitely a GLE .... checked the VIN, but you did have me sweating there for a minute .

my bad I apologize, got confused with a list of standard equipment. I saw many Maximas but have never seen a GLE w/o a sunroof. Guess they are very hard to find, like bare-bones SE's. Salesperson said to me that Nissan makes more money by making vehicles with "options" pushing the product.
Old 10-14-2001, 11:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Try a 2K1 if you can find it

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
[B]
Nope .... definitely a GLE .... checked the VIN, but you did have me sweating there for a minute .

my bad I apologize, got confused with a list of standard equipment. I saw many Maximas but have never seen a GLE w/o a sunroof. Guess they are very hard to find, like bare-bones SE's. Salesperson said to me that Nissan makes more money by making vehicles with "options" pushing the product.
Hehe, you are lucky I didn't check the forum BEFORE you posted this, I would've gotten nasty!

I am sad to say, I am considering giving my parents back my car and buy (with my own money) a much cheaper car (manual since I finally "learned" this weekend). Doh...or I could keep my auto GLE...
Old 10-15-2001, 12:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Try a 2K1 if you can find it

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
[B]

No roof is probably the reason this one was still on the lot. I can't see anyone under 6'2" WANTING a GLE w/o a sunroof. My good fortune I guess.

You should have seen me trying to fold myself up into the Integra GS-R
Old 10-15-2001, 12:07 AM

Sunroof is optional on GXE and SE, standard on GLE, at least for up to 2k1 model year, check my sources if you dont bewieve me. If you have a sunroof on SE, it means it came with an option package (like leather seating) which is extra $. On GLE, everything is standard at no-charge, 'cause the only option is heated seats.
Sunroof comes with C&C on SEs, and is optional on GLEs. I have a GLE with no sunroof. Check the sig pic if you must. And GLEs also have the option of TCS. Not many of the GLEs in Hawaii come with sunroofs in 2K. Kinda ironic huh. Nice year around weather and no sunroof to enjoy it. Actually it's give and take though, cause the salt in the air will cause the tracks of the sunroof to rust in 5 years.
Old 10-15-2001, 02:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

unlikely

Good luck gettin one of those for 21,whatever thousand. One of the oldest tricks in the book is to advertise a killer price in the paper to attract lots of people..once you show up, no matter how fast you get there the salesman usually responds w/ "uh yea those are already gone, but how about...." . Of course it would be worth lookin into, I'll go through almost anything to save a dollar$$$$$in this case about 2 or 3 thousand.Hey who knows, there might be an honest car dealership out there somewhere.
Old 10-15-2001, 06:12 AM

Honest Dealer

Streater Smith Nissan in Conroe TX shot me straight on my 2K1. May be worth a phone call to see what they say, I worked with Chris Neyimer.
Old 10-15-2001, 03:42 PM

Against the Law...

It is against the law in most states to advertise a car for a really low price and not actually have the car. That is why most ads you see will have a stock number included. To get around this, many dealers will have "loss leaders" where they actually have a car with a stock number for a very low price to attract people to the dealership. If you are lucky enough to be the first there and don't have to buy a bunch of extra junk, then great! Very difficult to do, however. If you press the issue, you can force them to show you paperwork proving that they had a car for sale at that price and did in fact sell it... if you want to put forth the effort. I can't stand crooked sales people, and if I smell ANYTHING fishy, I get angry, make a scene, and tell anybody else in the dealer to run away while they still can!!
Old 10-16-2001, 09:59 AM

GLE Sunroof Option

Sunroof is optional on GXE and SE, standard on GLE, at least for up to 2k1 model year, check my sources if you dont bewieve me.
I will have to disagree,

Sunroof was an option on 2k1 GLE

Here is a list of major options for a 2001 GLE

Meridian Edition
6-Disc CD Autochanger
Rear Spoiler
Z-Edition Traction control

along with small stuff like

Body-Colored Splash Guards
Floor Mats
In-Cabin Microfilter
Sunroof Wind Deflector