5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 11:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

i finally dynoed my car today at Premier autoworks in La Habra, Ca.
i pulled 204 max hps and 182 max torque without a fan(s)..

i had a total of 6 runs today, and the results were very different each time..the first time, they dynoed my car with my hood closed, pulled only 188 hp to the wheels..the intake temp was showing around 85F..in my disbelief, the second run only gave me about 2 hp better.

when they finally decided that they were going to run with my hood open(thank god), it gave me 194 hps to the wheels...but wait..i realized that they were not pushing the car all the way up to the redline, but instead they were letting it up at 6500 rpm..i told them to go all the way up to the redline, and then the car hit 198 and finally 204...

compared to my previous runs, i gained about 6 hps and lost about 4 pound feet of torque. but i was hitting almost 90% of my torque starting around 2,200 rpm, which is about 400 rpm early than from my last dyno. the torque curve looked very good...

i wonder what kind of result i would have gotten if they had fans...
i was their first customer since they started the dyno this week. it took them a while to figure out the best run set-up for my car, but they did it..and i walked home happy...

on a side note...i finally got rest of my bodykit put on today. it looks good except the bodykit came out little bit more white than the rest of my car...this really beats me to death..they'd matched the paint to the gas cap, and the color matches with the hood, the upper body but below the belt line, my paint is just cooked with dirt or something...oh wellz...Nissan paint sucks!
Old 10-19-2001, 11:56 PM

Re: Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

So now, you gotta remove your hood every time you race???

ADMAN
Old 10-20-2001, 12:04 AM

Re: Re: Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

Originally posted by adman
So now, you gotta remove your hood every time you race???

ADMAN
uh...no...but we have to make sure to leave the hood open when you're dynoing your car especially if you don't have a fan..

i think it just shows you how much difference air can make in your hp...
Old 10-20-2001, 12:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

Originally posted by irvine78

uh...no...but we have to make sure to leave the hood open when you're dynoing your car especially if you don't have a fan..

i think it just shows you how much difference air can make in your hp...
But, then, how are you supposed to see racing with your hood open???

I'm sooooo confused...

ADMAN
Old 10-20-2001, 12:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

I'm sooooo confused...

ADMAN

noooooooooooo....you don't have to open your hood when you're racing cuz while you're driving, more air flows into your engine...see, when you're on a dyno jet..your car's not moving thus little or no air is flowing directly into your motor..which means, you better leave your hood open so the intake can suck in whatever air is available, or you put a fan in front of your car to blow air in...
Old 10-20-2001, 12:13 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Good going Hoon!

Man... at least Stillen had lunch box fans for you. Someone's going to blow something on that dyno sooner or later.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Good going Hoon!

Man... at least Stillen had lunch box fans for you. Someone's going to blow something on that dyno sooner or later.

well...and we all thought that those lunch box fans were bad..try dynoing with no fans!! plus the hood close??? the people who were running the dyno were just renting out space from Premier and they weren't really 'experts' in dyno runs..but nonetheless, i still broke my goal of 200hp...and for that i'm happy for now...(now if i can only get my hands on the supercharger...hmmm...)
Old 10-20-2001, 12:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

<<while you're driving, more air flows into your engine...>>
Sooooooooo, then, you're saying it's better to race with your hood wide open so your engine will get more air???

Or, is it better to buy a big, industrial fan from Home Depot and zip tie it to your grill???

I guess I just don't understand technical things...

ADMAN
Old 10-20-2001, 12:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

<<while you're driving, more air flows into your engine...>>
Sooooooooo, then, you're saying it's better to race with your hood wide open so your engine will get more air???

Or, is it better to buy a big, industrial fan from Home Depot and zip tie it to your grill???

I guess I just don't understand technical things...

ADMAN
all i am trying to say is....1) when you dyno your car, it's always better to leave your hood open and have a big a$$ fan blowing air into your motor..just trust me, this is much better for your engine and your car will thank you in return by printing out big hp and torque..2)you don't have to leave your hood open when you're racing cuz your motor is already receving healthy dose of air through your grills and vents and what have u...some people actually take out one of their headlights if the intake is sitting right behind it(like ones on Accord or Civic or Eclipse)..now that feeds more air..but taking off your hood just to race is little too extreme..besides, what if something very sharp were to fall into your engine when you're moving?
Old 10-20-2001, 12:27 AM

if it still doesn't make much sense than try this...

imagine a hot summer day..you're hot as hell...you're standing still and there's no air blowing to your face...so, what do you have to do? you get a freaking fan and fan yourself to keep cool, right?
on the other hand, if you were driving and you stick your face out the window..then you don't have to fan yourself, but you get free air..does this make more sense to you?
Old 10-20-2001, 12:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

<<something very sharp were to fall into your engine when you're moving?>>
I see...you mean like a pigeon or something???

ADMAN
Old 10-20-2001, 12:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

<<something very sharp were to fall into your engine when you're moving?>>
I see...you mean like a pigeon or something???

ADMAN
i was thinking more like a rock...but i guess you could suck a pigeon into your intake..
Old 10-20-2001, 12:32 AM

<<no air blowing to your face...so, what do you have to do? >>
Hmmmmm...I would have to remove my hood and mount it on the passanger side to redirect the airflow to my face. Then, I would have the pigeon flap its wings to create even more airflow to the engine in an effort to achieve maximum horsepower.

Or, I guess, I could just turn on the AC. Huh???

ADMAN
Old 10-20-2001, 12:36 AM

<<no air blowing to your face...so, what do you have to do? >>
Hmmmmm...I would have to remove my hood and mount it on the passanger side to redirect the airflow to my face. Then, I would have the pigeon flap its wings to create even more airflow to the engine in an effort to achieve maximum horsepower.

Or, I guess, I could just turn on the AC. Huh???

ADMAN
did i mention i had 204 max hp and 182 max torque?

i started out this thread cuz some people here wanted to know the dyno numbers for the 5th gen with GReddy cat-back and other stuff, but somehow we are just way off...
Old 10-20-2001, 02:24 AM

i started out this thread cuz some people here wanted to know the dyno numbers for the 5th gen with GReddy cat-back and other stuff, but somehow we are just way off...
Nice numbers, how much did it cost you to dyno your car?
Old 10-20-2001, 06:23 AM
Got Bent?

nice numbers
Old 10-20-2001, 07:17 AM

Nice HP number, but don't you think TQ # should be much higher? Maybe I missed something, but my 4th gen stock auto pulls 172.6lbs. Only 9.4lbs of TQ difference compared to your modded 5-speed?
Old 10-20-2001, 07:18 AM

I'm sooooo confused...

ADMAN
Hey adman, when you dyno'd a car, the car dont moove it is the wheel that spin on a roller so the car stay immobile. Do you get it now ? Obviously racing with the hood open = bye bye hood.

cheere

doublea
Old 10-20-2001, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by AndyXXL
Nice HP number, but don't you think TQ # should be much higher? Maybe I missed something, but my 4th gen stock auto pulls 172.6lbs. Only 9.4lbs of TQ difference compared to your modded 5-speed?

well, obviously...i've lost about 3-4 pound feet of torque after my GReddy cat-back and pulley...BUT! like i said earlier, my peak torque is produced about 300-400 rpm earlier than before...and the torque curve looks much stronger than before...

i don't think there's a whole lot of a difference in torque between the 4th gen and the 5th gen...alot of my friend's 4th gen dynoed just about 10 less torque than my car..it's important to have lots and lots of torque, but it's also important when you see it too..
Old 10-20-2001, 09:18 AM

well, obviously...i've lost about 3-4 pound feet of torque after my GReddy cat-back and pulley...BUT! like i said earlier, my peak torque is produced about 300-400 rpm earlier than before...and the torque curve looks much stronger than before...

i don't think there's a whole lot of a difference in torque between the 4th gen and the 5th gen...alot of my friend's 4th gen dynoed just about 10 less torque than my car..it's important to have lots and lots of torque, but it's also important when you see it too..
Got it, thanks
Old 10-20-2001, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Menacer
Nice numbers, how much did it cost you to dyno your car?
well, it's not exactly cheap...it cost me $100 for the dyno..but i got 6 runs out of it..normally it's only 3 runs..Premier will hold group dyno days and the price will be lowered for those days..
Old 10-20-2001, 05:18 PM

Nice--i have almost the same mods as you, i hope to get close to 200.
Old 10-20-2001, 05:26 PM
RussMaxManiac

Nice HP readings, but why is the TQ so low?! I dynoed stock 184 hp and 193TQ!

i had a total of 6 runs today, and the results were very different each time..the first time, they dynoed my car with my hood closed, pulled only 188 hp to the wheels..the intake temp was showing around 85F..in my disbelief, the second run only gave me about 2 hp better.

when they finally decided that they were going to run with my hood open(thank god), it gave me 194 hps to the wheels...but wait..i realized that they were not pushing the car all the way up to the redline, but instead they were letting it up at 6500 rpm..i told them to go all the way up to the redline, and then the car hit 198 and finally 204...

compared to my previous runs, i gained about 6 hps and lost about 4 pound feet of torque. but i was hitting almost 90% of my torque starting around 2,200 rpm, which is about 400 rpm early than from my last dyno. the torque curve looked very good...

i was their first customer since they started the dyno this week. it took them a while to figure out the best run set-up for my car, but they did it..and i walked home happy...

on a side note...i finally got rest of my bodykit put on today. it looks good except the bodykit came out little bit more white than the rest of my car...this really beats me to death..they'd matched the paint to the gas cap, and the color matches with the hood, the upper body but below the belt line, my paint is just cooked with dirt or something...oh wellz...Nissan paint sucks!

Old 10-20-2001, 05:31 PM

good readings irvine! keving, go get your car dynoed ASAP.
Old 10-20-2001, 09:49 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
good readings irvine! keving, go get your car dynoed ASAP.
500 whp and 460 lbs. torque
Old 10-20-2001, 11:32 PM

Torque correction:

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Nice HP readings, but why is the TQ so low?! I dynoed stock 184 hp and 193TQ!

i just went through my dyno sheet today..
when the computer printed out my numbers for the hp and the torque, the computer put down the torque figure when i reached my peak hp..not my actual peak torque..and without looking at the graphs more carefully, i didn't realize that until tonite..so, here's the corrected numbers..

before my car reaches the peak power, my peak torque was reached(around 4,400rpm from the graph)..in fact, after 5,000rpm, the torque curves starts to go downward while the hp curve is climbing up rapidly...from the graph, my max torque was registered as 201ft-lbs@4,400rpm..

also, this dyno was done with no fan and in 85F weather..
even a small fan blowing air into my engine would have produced better results...but for now, i'm sticking with this figure..
Old 11-27-2001, 02:05 PM
maxgsxr1

compared to my previous runs, i gained about 6 hps and lost about 4 pound feet of torque. but i was hitting almost 90% of my torque starting around 2,200 rpm, which is about 400 rpm early than from my last dyno. the torque curve looked very good... what does this car have for mods? year? auto?

Old 11-27-2001, 02:26 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I'm sorta disturbed by the lack of consistency in these runs, and by the fact that this was a "newbie" shop doing a dyno for the first time.

Were these numbers you're quoting SAE CORRECTED?

It kinda sounds like they weren't...
Old 11-27-2001, 05:41 PM

irvine78-
what year max do you have--is it auto or stick?
hood open, big fan in front, 3rd gear, all the way to redline, my 2k2 auto is being dynoed on monday, is there anything else i should take note of before goin'--does humidity make a difference (i'm in houston)?
Old 11-27-2001, 06:05 PM

I know what your saying.You post an interesting thread with some solid numbers and you get well pointless, sarcastic replys.Seems like you see alot of that around here.Anyways about your hood being open.Dont you think you would get a more accurate reading with it closed since thats how you drive normally.Also its not like you have a big fan blowing on your engine daily.So I mean why would you do that when on the dyno.Thats JMO whats yours
Old 11-27-2001, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by mattattax
does humidity make a difference (i'm in houston)?
SAE correction will take care of that too so don't worry. Just make sure that the place you dyno at plots out your runs in SAE corrected numbers and not STD numbers

Originally posted by BadBtsz4u
I know what your saying.You post an interesting thread with some solid numbers and you get well pointless, sarcastic replys.Seems like you see alot of that around here.Anyways about your hood being open.Dont you think you would get a more accurate reading with it closed since thats how you drive normally.Also its not like you have a big fan blowing on your engine daily.So I mean why would you do that when on the dyno.Thats JMO whats yours
Badbtsz4u - that's just the atmosphere around here. Relax, kick back, and open up a cold one and you'll have a good time here

Hood being open is necessary on a dyno becasue there is ZERO airflow and the engine is at full power. Large industrial fans are also recommended to get airflow onto the radiator to maintain engine operating temperatures. Industrial fans help, but still aren't a full replacement so that's why opening the hood is done too.

If you run a car at full power on a dyno with the hood closed and no fan, just do that back to back and see how long before the engine overheats, the tranny melts down, into a pile of rubble, or other related things begin to break. It won't take very long
Old 11-27-2001, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
SAE correction will take care of that too so don't worry. Just make sure that the place you dyno at plots out your runs in SAE corrected numbers and not STD numbers
what if they don't or aren't able to plot in SAE, is there a simple equation or something so i can 'correct' or figure it out and re-plot it myself

does anyone know what the year and trannie of irvine78's max is, the homepage link isn't working
thanks
Old 11-27-2001, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by mattattax
what if they don't or aren't able to plot in SAE, is there a simple equation or something so i can 'correct' or figure it out and re-plot it myself
If it's a DynoJet dyno (what i'd recommned) and they have all of their instruments setup and working properly then they should be able to give you SAE corrected numbers.

If not, you'll need to note the ambient temperature, humidity, and pressure in the garage where you dyno and I'm sure there's some webpage out there that tells you how to do the correction, or has the formula built in for "plug and chug" use
Old 11-27-2001, 07:41 PM
maxgsxr1

Re: Re: Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

Originally posted by maxgsxr1
what year max? mods? tranny?

Old 11-27-2001, 07:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...

Originally posted by maxgsxr1
what year max? mods? tranny?

i'm not irvine but I am almost 99.9% sure he has a 5 speed '00 GXE. He has the pulley, greddy catback, stillen y-pipe, and an intake of some kind (I think ... don't remember for sure ... ) ... you know if we had sig's we wouldn't have to aks those questions.
Old 11-27-2001, 08:14 PM

thanks
Old 11-27-2001, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC

Badbtsz4u - that's just the atmosphere around here. Relax, kick back, and open up a cold one and you'll have a good time here

Hood being open is necessary on a dyno becasue there is ZERO airflow and the engine is at full power. Large industrial fans are also recommended to get airflow onto the radiator to maintain engine operating temperatures. Industrial fans help, but still aren't a full replacement so that's why opening the hood is done too.

If you run a car at full power on a dyno with the hood closed and no fan, just do that back to back and see how long before the engine overheats, the tranny melts down, into a pile of rubble, or other related things begin to break. It won't take very long
Thanks for the info.Ive never dynoed my car.Is that how they always do it ?
Old 11-27-2001, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

500 whp and 460 lbs. torque
Your mom, your dad, you, and Jane all wish that.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by BadBtsz4u
Thanks for the info.Ive never dynoed my car.Is that how they always do it ?
no, but that's how they **should** do it. There seem to be a lot of shops out there that do half-a$$ed jobs and either

a) have no fan
b) have insufficient fans (a leaf blower?? gimme a break)
c) Don't know WTH they're even doing in the first place...

B is true. A fellow Accord V6 owner dynoed his car and they used a damned leaf blower as a fan - no joke. No wonder his car dynoed about 5 HP low

I wouldn't get my car dynoed unless there was at least one, and preferably TWO high-flow industrial fans parked in front of my car. You usually pay for 3 dyno runs for around $60-75 or so. So while the engine's cooling system may be barely able to keep the engine from overheating without fans, your tranny, especially an automatic, is surely going to be overheated in a damned hurry.

An improper and unprofessional dyno setup (like having no fans or having the hood closed) is a very easy (and very stupid) way to break your car, so you gotta be careful
Old 11-28-2001, 04:25 AM
maxgsxr1

Originally posted by ispeed

i'm not irvine but I am almost 99.9% sure he has a 5 speed '00 GXE. He has the pulley, greddy catback, stillen y-pipe, and an intake of some kind (I think ... don't remember for sure ... ) ... you know if we had sig's we wouldn't have to aks those questions.
if this car has 204 hp at the wheels, shouldn't it be quicker and faster than a 2k2 auto with 189 hp at wheels? recent posts said 2k2 had this for power and have run 14.7??????will this car be quicker.......haven't seen a 2k0 with boltons run 14's yet right?

Quick Reply: Ok, Here's the result of my Dyno from today...