5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Repeat Threads/Topics that have been discussed. Suggestion.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:30 AM

Repeat Threads/Topics that have been discussed. Suggestion.

you know what i think we should ALL do. if we see a thread with a topic that has been beaten to death, then dont respond to it all. if you turn a cold shoulder to it, then the thread will fall off the main page of the 5th gen section and the person who posted it is forced to search. the only thing that were doing by responding to these threads is bumping it the thread to the top. so from now on, how about we dont respond to these threads unless its something that cannot be searched and found. just a suggestion.

im not mod of this forum nor would i like to be one but for those of you who do the repeat "search this" or "read stickies", this might work out well for you.

also i do realize that this should be in the suggestion section of the .org but hardly anyone goes there.

-Najib
Old 01-14-2008, 11:51 AM

Great! The forum will die soon because of 8 years there are almost no topics to be not "beat to death"!

Last edited by boris; 01-14-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 AM

all im saying is if it is a legitimate tech question that has NOT been discussed, then fine post away but if its something that be searched, then a new thread is not nessasary.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:55 AM

Also ill be the first to say that i have said "search and you will find the answer" but things like spark plug, headers, bose, and etc threads appear almost daily due to someone not taking the time to search.

To mods: i am in not way trying to do your jobs but i thought this little insight might help.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:56 AM

I agree with Boris, the 2000-2003 car discussions are almost all repeats now, if we dont respond this section would die out fairly soon. My .02
Old 01-14-2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Reket
I agree with Boris, the 2000-2003 car discussions are almost all repeats now, if we dont respond this section would die out fairly soon. My .02
then what i dont get is why people complain that there are repeat threads and such. it seems like there is no "win-win" in this forum. i mean i understand what you and boris are saying, but i highly doubt that the 5th gen section will die out.

also side note, i dont know if people have those redundant responses just to bring up their post count. it almost seems like the post count determains ones seniority over others.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:44 PM

The lack of a good search to the non supporting member I would suspect has an effect on the repeat threads.

I have been on a few boards where the mods would jump on the throat of any repeat thread. It would get merged with the existing thread. Very clean.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ScottS
The lack of a good search to the non supporting member I would suspect has an effect on the repeat threads.

I have been on a few boards where the mods would jump on the throat of any repeat thread. It would get merged with the existing thread. Very clean.
i think that would be an awesome idea to combine the threads together.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Play with my balls

In for the post count.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was here.

In general, old, reposted threads are locked if they are bumped for no good reason. If the discussion can be continued constructively, we'll let them live. The merging concept only works if the information in the two threads is complimentary, if not, the posts will be sort of redundant. Needless to say, all these are taken on a case by case basis.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:10 PM

to mods: is there a way you guys can place a filter so that when a new thread is trying to be created that it doesnt allow a person to due to similar words? im not sure if that makes sense but

example: i want to make a header thread. my title is "cattman header", if i try to make a new one and the system finds that those similar words are used in a archieved thread or a current one then it doesnt allow that new thread to be created.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
In for the post count.
LOL!! Jooz gettin bandz!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by nk2k2
LOL!! Jooz gettin bandz!
lol, i've been here long enough these guys know me, and know why i posted that in this thread. i just don't foresee an improvement via this route cause it's hard to babysit every little thread as it is. there is more time involved as well.

your suggestion in your example wouldn't work too well if it could be done in the first place. i can title a thread, "cattman headers" but what if it something like, "my cattman headers just fell off my car" or something like that? that has nothing to do with install, quality, or inquiry of said headers. it's just in the title, so you're going to stop me from creating that thread because of common words? that's what makes it hard to do that, who's to say what's relative and what's not prior to the creation of a thread.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 PM

i actually laughed at the idea of the headers falling out and i guess your right about the filter thing but its just a thought.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by nk2k2
i actually laughed at the idea of the headers falling out and i guess your right about the filter thing but its just a thought.
with my luck anything's possible.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Cletus

how cute
a thread of new people crying because they dont get spoonfed and their hand held...typical
Old 01-14-2008, 01:48 PM

why not just post the link and say nothing else in the thread? thats what i do in other forums instead of bashing..unless its someone asking about the pros and cons of a CAI or SRI
Old 01-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by soonerfan
how cute
a thread of new people crying because they dont get spoonfed and their hand held...typical
It's my birfday and i'll cry if i want to.......cry if i want to.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by phatboislim
why not just post the link and say nothing else in the thread? thats what i do in other forums instead of bashing..unless its someone asking about the pros and cons of a CAI or SRI
so it sets a precedence of spoonfeeding? some members wont let that happen
Old 01-14-2008, 02:05 PM

how cute
acutally im taking your side on this one. all im saying is that people should search but also that newbies as well as regular members should have to search as well.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wouldn't working on the FAQ's/Howto's so they contain more/better information to take care of those repeat question be better?

I would be willing to help on that, if anyone is interested.

Also, searching if you haven't donated is sometimes troublesome, it looks like the forums aren't indexed correctly by Google anymore. They were when I first started reading here, last April.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:26 PM

I think combining threads might actually help things out...
Old 01-14-2008, 02:40 PM

ik im a newb here, but if the FAQ's and How-to's were updated, there would be much less repost threads. i somewhat had some difficulty using that and some of those external links are dead
Old 01-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I R The Law

meh
Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by PeteCool
Also, searching if you haven't donated is sometimes troublesome, it looks like the forums aren't indexed correctly by Google anymore. They were when I first started reading here, last April.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the search function now working and open to everyone regardless of donations?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MikeyC1027
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the search function now working and open to everyone regardless of donations?
Hmm, you're right... wasn't like that last time I checked!

Why would people have trouble searching then.... they're too lazy to search?!?

I can see why some of you are annoyed now!
Old 01-14-2008, 03:28 PM
I R The Law

Its cause of the new owners that ruined it for the actual donating members.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:33 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by PeteCool
Hmm, you're right... wasn't like that last time I checked!

Why would people have trouble searching then.... they're too lazy to search?!?

I can see why some of you are annoyed now!
It's been like that for the past few days. See the threads in forum 3 for more info.

Originally Posted by The Law
Its cause of the new owners that ruined it for the actual donating members.
Here we go again

Two threads *****ing about it already, no reason to do so here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=550763
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=550530
Old 01-14-2008, 03:42 PM
You embarrass me.

People love to increase their post count with statements telling noobs to search. Nothing will change because not everyone will know if it is a repeat thread, etc...

Personally, I think the Newbie Question thread should be enforced, with maybe a small outline of what has been covered in it, in the first post.

Second, the FAQs/How-Tos do need to be updated, as there are a bunch of dead links, etc. Telling someone to search for a thread that should be there, makes that sticky worthless.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:46 AM

People love to stress that you should search, makes them feel smart; no specific names! So then they can get their post count up, they feeel smarter and they haven't helped anyone out.

The search wasnt working very good for awhile recently.. but instead of one of these "smart guys" posting a link and being done with it, they just say search and throw a couple other pointless comments out there. And in the end you have another repeat thread that is pages long of nothing but little school girls bickering about everyone else's pointless comments. Grow up and learn some common sense.

As for the dumb threads that are started for a stoopid question as a part number, or where to find something, blah blah blah, just let it die out. Google search still works!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:44 AM

Opening up the vBulletin search should help a LOT in terms of repeat threads. I've been reading on here for a while.. the google search is horrible. I tried something like ""5th gen" +"angel eyes"" and got no result. Now, I can pick the subforum and a topic and I actually get relevant information.. hence, not having to try to start a thread of my own cause I can't find the info I'm looking for.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:41 PM

Calm down people. Search works for everyone now, so please try using that for now. I'm still working on fixing the FAQs and How-Tos. I just have a lot going on these days.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Calm down people. Search works for everyone now, so please try using that for now. I'm still working on fixing the FAQs and How-Tos. I just have a lot going on these days.
No excuses bevis.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 PM

I'm brand new to the site and am doing my best to keep up with all the jargon that goes on with forums, but at the same time most ppl new to forums need the experienced guys to give them a hand and get them going.

if nobody helped me out, i'd say forget it to the site. But i've gained a bunch of knowledge in just 2 days, and hell, maybe after a year or 2 with my maxima and the forum, i'll be albe to start helping the future newbies. I'm 25 years old, so i have some time left....
Old 01-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by baylormax02
I'm brand new to the site and am doing my best to keep up with all the jargon that goes on with forums, but at the same time most ppl new to forums need the experienced guys to give them a hand and get them going.

if nobody helped me out, i'd say forget it to the site. But i've gained a bunch of knowledge in just 2 days, and hell, maybe after a year or 2 with my maxima and the forum, i'll be albe to start helping the future newbies. I'm 25 years old, so i have some time left....
new people need to realize that they gain the experience and knowledge from reading...not starting a new thread for every little question they have.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:27 PM

new people need to realize that they gain the experience and knowledge from reading...not starting a new thread for every little question they have.
Ive been here for a while, and look at my post count. This is a very useful place.... if used correctly.
I think if you really want to fix a problem, you should understand it first. Being "spoonfed" doesn't really help in the long run.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:33 PM

not to be a nay-sayer here, but i dont think this idea will work...

there are so many people on this board, it's insane.. the people that respond to the repeat threads aren't just the more seasoned members who are tired of the same topic being posted over and over again... you also have the people who have a little bit of knowledge, and have the mindset where they want to share that knowledge and help people.. these people have been here long enough to learn some things, but not long enough where they're tired of seeing the same topic posted 10 billion times... and these will be the ones who respond to the threads and keep them alive
Old 01-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Cletus

if we all follow the same mindset (which was also the rules for years before they were changed to be more polite and let everyone do what they want) this wouldnt be an issue.
veterans will say to search, but all we need is one person to spoon feed the person and its all over. that person now knows he can get away with it.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:16 PM

5th gen maximas have been out for ~7 years. Realistically, how many new, interesting threads can possibly be made? Ive been reading pretty much everything on this forum since i got my car about five months ago, and all the information (which was brand new to me) here was pretty exciting. Now that I've finished, every new thread seems to be about some small problem someones had with their car, or poor gas mileage, etc.
I guess the point i'm trying to make is that I think its time for people to accept that pretty much every "new" thread will be on a topic that has already been discussed. Instead of bashing a person who asks a question thats already been answered, why not just answer it, especially if its a simple one that doesn't require any research on the part of the person answering it?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Cletus

so if everything has been discussed...we dont need any new threads

Quick Reply: Repeat Threads/Topics that have been discussed. Suggestion.