5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My car got hit last night...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:39 AM

My car got hit last night...

I was parked on Passyunk ave. right off of 5th and South St. in Philly. I was walking up to the car coming back from a performance and I see this idiot in an imprezza cut a u-turn and start to park behind me. He comes in the spot wrong, goes to come out, cuts the wheel WAY too sharply and scrapes his door against my back bumper on the drivers side. Made some deep scratches on my bumper and breaks my rear side marker. I was so pissed. I yelled and ran up to his car to make sure he didn't try to peel off. Luckily the guy was cool and we exchanged insurance information. A bicycle cop just happened to be riding by and took a police report while we were out there. He said the dude was JUST under the legal limit of DUI. This really sucks, but thankfully, it's not as bad as it could have been.

Anyway... my point for starting this thread is from what I understand, I have a few options as far as getting my car fixed. I can pay to have my car fixed, go through my insurance company (geico) and have them go after his isurace company (allstate) to get re-imbursed for the charges... I can drive up to his insurance company's office, show them the damage, give them the info of their client who hit me, and they would give me the money to get it fixed (that's what the cop last night did one time, and advised me to do it)... or I can go to a shop, get an estimate and then go to his insurance company to have them pay for it? I've never been through this process before, and I was hoping you guys could advise me as to which is the best way to go about it to make sure I get the money that I need to fix the car quickly and without the classic insurance company BS. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Chris

Last edited by wyche89; 01-19-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:46 AM

I would get atleast 2 estimates from body shops with a good reputations, AAA auto club is a good source. I am a AAA member if you want to get recommendations for your area. Make sure you get a rental car at their expense, no reason that you should be troubled because you were NOT at fault. If your car is a pearl finish make sure the estimate includes 3 stage finish.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 AM

Sorry to hear that man I would get some estimates definatley to make sure the price you get is legit.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Cletus

insurance companies dont care what estimate you get from somewhere else due to insurance fraud. the companies will do it and cut you a check for that amount.

do it the correct way
1. call your insurance and file a claim. provide them his info and a copy of the police report to prove fault.
2. your company contacts his
3. you get a check.

NEVER talk to the other insurance if the other person is at fault. it is their job to represent their client. talk to the people that represent you.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:24 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

The advice my insurance agent gave me when I was rearended in my 626 was to contact only his insurance company since the accident wasn't my fault.

Since he has Allstate, expect them to be a bit slow in taking care of you. This was the 3rd time I've been hit by someone with Allstate insurance and they take their sweet time passing out money. You do not have to use the body shop they recommend. Look for a good independent body shop that has cars they have finished that you can look at in the full sun. What you want to look for is uniform panel gaps, no overspray on the glass or adjacent body panels near the repainted areas, no overspray in the door jambs, no rotary swirls, no sanding marks visible under the paint, no runs, fisheyes, etc and that the color match is good.

Absolutely do not take a check for the damages and then try to price shop so you can pocket the difference. If someone is cheaper than the estimate by more than 5-10% there is a reason, that reason being they are taking shortcuts or do low quality work. My brother price shopped after getting $6000 for hail damage to his then 3 month old truck. Found a shop that would do the work for $3400. That turned into an 18 month ordeal that ended up with my brother having to sue the bodyshop for their shoddy work.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Banned

Old 01-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn sorry to hear about the accident. Good luck with everything.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:44 PM

well.. this was the first time that something like this has happened to me, so i called the police and my insurance company on the spot.. so my insurance already knows about it.. you think my rates will go up?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maximized2000
Damn sorry to hear about the accident. Good luck with everything.
thanx man

Originally Posted by Torgus
workin on it
Old 01-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Cletus

your rates may go up a little
Old 01-20-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by RLW001
I would get atleast 2 estimates from body shops with a good reputations, AAA auto club is a good source. I am a AAA member if you want to get recommendations for your area. Make sure you get a rental car at their expense, no reason that you should be troubled because you were NOT at fault. If your car is a pearl finish make sure the estimate includes 3 stage finish.
i don't know if my car is pearl finish or not.. its a 2003 TE with pretty much all options except navigation
Old 01-20-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
your rates may go up a little
gotdamnit... it wasn't even my fault, so i should have to pay more? that sucks
Old 01-20-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
The advice my insurance agent gave me when I was rearended in my 626 was to contact only his insurance company since the accident wasn't my fault.

Since he has Allstate, expect them to be a bit slow in taking care of you. This was the 3rd time I've been hit by someone with Allstate insurance and they take their sweet time passing out money. You do not have to use the body shop they recommend. Look for a good independent body shop that has cars they have finished that you can look at in the full sun. What you want to look for is uniform panel gaps, no overspray on the glass or adjacent body panels near the repainted areas, no overspray in the door jambs, no rotary swirls, no sanding marks visible under the paint, no runs, fisheyes, etc and that the color match is good.

Absolutely do not take a check for the damages and then try to price shop so you can pocket the difference. If someone is cheaper than the estimate by more than 5-10% there is a reason, that reason being they are taking shortcuts or do low quality work. My brother price shopped after getting $6000 for hail damage to his then 3 month old truck. Found a shop that would do the work for $3400. That turned into an 18 month ordeal that ended up with my brother having to sue the bodyshop for their shoddy work.
so i should look for a good independent shop, get an estimate, then take the estimate to his insurance company? or will they not take it due to insurance fraud
Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by wyche89
so i should look for a good independent shop, get an estimate, then take the estimate to his insurance company? or will they not take it due to insurance fraud
an insurance company will not pay you just because of what a body shop said
Old 01-20-2008, 02:14 PM

You certainly can call your insuracne company and see how they suggest you handle it.

But if it was me in this situation I would call the other persons insurace company first and file a claim. They should them send out an adjuster to evaluate the damage. Them you can see if you can go to the repair shop of your choice.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
an insurance company will not pay you just because of what a body shop said
i just feel that having my insurance company contact his insurance company, then waiting on a check from his isurance would take REALLY long, and has the potential for too much BS.. how can i do it by skipping the middle man and going directly to his insurance company?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by sascuderi
You certainly can call your insuracne company and see how they suggest you handle it.

But if it was me in this situation I would call the other persons insurace company first and file a claim. They should them send out an adjuster to evaluate the damage. Them you can see if you can go to the repair shop of your choice.
i'm thinking about just driving up to an allstate office and doing it.. that way the car is right there and i don't have to wait for anybody to come to my house at their leisure.. i'm just trying to avoid as much insurance BS and get the car fixed as quickly as possible
Old 01-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Cletus

i just feel that having my insurance company contact his insurance company, then waiting on a check from his isurance would take REALLY long, and has the potential for too much BS.. how can i do it by skipping the middle man and going directly to his insurance company?
you just have to deal with it. at least the car is drivable. when i totaled my car, it took them a month to give me the check. i had to fight to make them keep paying for a rental. the delay will be with his...not yours.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:30 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

His insurance will send someone to look at the car to do an estimate, and usually if the body shop estimate is close, they will pay it. You can either get a check and then pay the body shop yourself, or you can have his insurance company pay them directly when the repairs are finished.

No idea if your rates will go up. If this is your first accident and it wasn't your fault, they probably won't raise your rates.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:34 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

i'm thinking about just driving up to an allstate office and doing it.. that way the car is right there and i don't have to wait for anybody to come to my house at their leisure.. i'm just trying to avoid as much insurance BS and get the car fixed as quickly as possible
I got hit on a Tuesday, his insurance accepted responsibility the next day, but it was the following Monday before they put me in a rental and a full week after the accident before their adjuster went by the body shop to do and estimate and tell me what I already knew-totaled. Even worse, they only paid one week of rental but took two weeks to get me a check for my car.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:41 PM

Damn Chris,sorry to hear about this,atleast you caught the guy before he took off.About 2 months ago just after i got my 03 Maxi,I got hit from behind by some woman on rt.30.Being that it was her fault,we exchanged information with a police officer present and actually the very next day her insurance contacted me for the accident info.She had nationwide coverage which handled everything professionaly.I then took my car to her insurance estimator who in return cut me a check for the damages,which were very minor,and then made an appt at my body shop to do the work.If it costs more than her insurance estimated,they will have to pay the difference.Mine goes in the first week of Feb.and it also covers rental car.Your rates shouldn't go up Chris cuz mine didn't since it was not my fault.Get in touch with his insurance co.if you don't hear anything within 2 days anyway.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

cars can be fixed as long as you are ok
Old 01-21-2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 95 Maxnout
Damn Chris,sorry to hear about this,atleast you caught the guy before he took off.About 2 months ago just after i got my 03 Maxi,I got hit from behind by some woman on rt.30.Being that it was her fault,we exchanged information with a police officer present and actually the very next day her insurance contacted me for the accident info.She had nationwide coverage which handled everything professionaly.I then took my car to her insurance estimator who in return cut me a check for the damages,which were very minor,and then made an appt at my body shop to do the work.If it costs more than her insurance estimated,they will have to pay the difference.Mine goes in the first week of Feb.and it also covers rental car.Your rates shouldn't go up Chris cuz mine didn't since it was not my fault.Get in touch with his insurance co.if you don't hear anything within 2 days anyway.
damn, that sucks man.. right after you got your new car too? yeah i havent even had my car a month and this crap happens.. well i'm glad yours is being taken care of.. hopefully i have the same luck
Old 01-21-2008, 04:06 PM

Yes Allstate sucks. It took them 2 months to cut me a check for attempted HID theft. They claim that because I am in Boston now, they are not familar with the insurance laws here, plus the claims agent didn't have a clue what he was doing
Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 PM

well.. it's going good so far.. i went up to an allstate office today, and he gave me the number to their claims office.. i called and scheduled an appt. for tomorrow to take it to a claims center and get it looked at.. a little bit later, a person from allstate called me back and told me that when i go to get it looked at tomorrow, they'll give me a check right there to get it fixed.. my dad says he knows of a very good repair shop, so i THINK i'm good to go
Old 01-21-2008, 06:17 PM

heres some pics of the damage:

you think that will buff out? the bumper doesnt seem like it was pushed in at all, and it doesnt look like anything was knocked out of line.. and the side marker is an easy replacement

now that theres damage to the bumper, i notice little paint swirls around where the damage was.. whats that about?

Last edited by wyche89; 01-21-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM

You might be able to buff out some to make it look a little better. You gotta paint the whole bumper if you want it perfect. All in all....it could have been worst. Good luck man.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Bumper has to be REPLACED to be perfect. Usually cheaper to replace those plastic bumpers than to try and repair them anyway.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:29 PM

Bumper has to be REPLACED to be perfect. Usually cheaper to replace those plastic bumpers than to try and repair them anyway.
really? whats a reasonable price for a bumper replacement?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maximized2000
You might be able to buff out some to make it look a little better. You gotta paint the whole bumper if you want it perfect. All in all....it could have been worst. Good luck man.
thanx.. i hope to be flawless once again for our next meet!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:00 PM

Man,that looks worse than what mine looks like after being rear ended.Their prolly gonna replace my rear bumper and reposition my muffler area.Most likely looking at atleast $800 to repair.Good luck on it.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:04 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

really? whats a reasonable price for a bumper replacement?
Cost $500 or so for my 1990 Accord I used to have but that was 6-7 years ago.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:20 AM
Don't you know who I am?

FYI~
All State is the sleeziest insurance company to have to deal with. Do a google search into their practices and you'll end up reading a number of articles about a controversial book written by an ex-exec at Allstate that details their questionable business practices, and you'll also find an whole bunch of court cases concerning their business practices.

And yes, my 99 max got rearended and nearly totalled by an Allstate driver, $5500 and 33 days in the shop later, it drove crooked and I had to trade it in. My insurance rates went up $350 a year and here I am, going on two years since the accident, and I'm still trying to get a check. *Sigh*
Old 01-22-2008, 07:08 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

If you have to get hit by someone, hope like heck they have State Farm insurance!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:57 AM

dam, sorry to hear
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM

damn i had that same problem, but it was hit and run and I had to pay my deductible. you got it good to catch that fool driving.

your points should not go up as long as its not your fault. i have AMICA insurance.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:46 PM

ok... i went ot the claims agent today, and he gave me a check for $471 for the bumper to be sanded down and re-painted.. allstate apparently has a list of their "pro shops," meaning that if the work comes out to be more than what the check is for, then they're going to cover the difference.. they will also pay for a rental while the car is in the shop, and if the work isn't done right, allstate can go to the shop and make them do it right at no cost to me, as long as i use one of their recommended shops, which i have no problem doing.. sounds like a good deal.. all i gotta do is find a shop close to me and get it done
Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 PM

Chris,you can go to any repair shop of your choice and have them do their own estimate and allstate will still have to pay the difference.Dont let them do a cheap repair job just so they can save extra money on it by not doing it correctly.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:33 AM

same problem here....thats why i dont take pics of the rear of my maxima....but yeah its a lot cheap in buyin a new bumper then repairing the one you have IMO
Old 01-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 95 Maxnout
Chris,you can go to any repair shop of your choice and have them do their own estimate and allstate will still have to pay the difference.Dont let them do a cheap repair job just so they can save extra money on it by not doing it correctly.
wrong
an insurance company pays what they determine the repair will cost...not what some random repair shop says.

Quick Reply: My car got hit last night...