5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Front end clunk when going over bumps/dips....gets worse :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Front end clunk when going over bumps/dips....gets worse :(

Car is 2003 Maxima AT, with 106k miles.

- New Illumina shocks were installed 6 months ago. Still have the stock springs. I did alignment at this time.

- New NON-OEM front sway bar links were installed 1 yr ago due to some DIFFERENT kind of front end noises coming when going over uneven roads. This time, the "clunk" sounds different...so i am trying not to blame the links.

- New sway bar bushing were installed 1 year ago.

- I went under the car and visually inspected everything. Nothing is broken, nothing seem loose, no leaks, no bent parts. Car drives straight, does not vibrate, does not pull to the side and does not make any noises...except front and rear squeak when turning into a steep driveway. (sounds like shocks/springs are "rusty", which is absurd). Why do i hear this squeak when my shocks are only 6 months old?

Main problem is.....when i go over a speed bump or a major dip on the road...the car makes a single "clunk" when i am over the bump and hitting the leveled ground. It feels and sounds like it's bottoming down on something that is lose. Like....a metal plate is hitting another metal piece under the weight of the car that shift toward the front end from going over the bump. Feels like there is a "gap" somewhere and when the weight of the car shift...two parts collide. I hope this makes some sense. I hear it EVERY time i go over a bump or dip. I don't hear it, only IF i go over the bump veeery slowly.

I am sure that a good mechanic will diagnose it easier than me, - the problem is that i don't have a mechanic i trust. I live in San Jose, CA ...my car never had any problems so i never got an opportunity to find a good, trusted mechanic who will understand suspension problems.
I don't mind fixing the problem myself....but i need to know what is the exact issue and which part needs replacement.
Where do i start?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:23 PM
大陆弟弟

I have the same problem, and finally noticed it was my FSTB. I don't know about your car, but I had to add spacers for the bar to clear my engine IM. Thus, I noticed that my hood wasn't completely closed, it was "open" for 2-3mm and thus the clunking going over bumps.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 PM
STFU n00b!

my first guess is the struts and strut mounts.

make sure the nut at the top of the strut is tight inside the mount.
make sure the mount is in good condition.
if you hear any "bonging" type of noises from the springs popping when you turn the front wheels, that's usually the strut bearing gone bad. wouldn't hear the clunking noise like you're talking about, but is often a problem at the same time....

hope that helps.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
my first guess is the struts and strut mounts.

make sure the nut at the top of the strut is tight inside the mount.
make sure the mount is in good condition.
if you hear any "bonging" type of noises from the springs popping when you turn the front wheels, that's usually the strut bearing gone bad. wouldn't hear the clunking noise like you're talking about, but is often a problem at the same time....

hope that helps.
The strut mounts are brand NEW. I got 2 front Nissan OEM strut mount assemblies when i installed the Illumina shocks, 6 months ago.

I'll check the nut on the top. I though it was tight....but who knows. I'll check again.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by n3985
I have the same problem, and finally noticed it was my FSTB. I don't know about your car, but I had to add spacers for the bar to clear my engine IM. Thus, I noticed that my hood wasn't completely closed, it was "open" for 2-3mm and thus the clunking going over bumps.
I'll check on this. My FSTB has been installed for 3+ years - never had a problem.

However, i did have to remove and re-install the FSTB when i did the strut replacement.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM
the org...not what it was

Funny....i've had thise happen a few times, and wasn't really sure what it was. It only happens during the situations you described although not as much with speed bumps but more when the front suspension is climbing over a specific type of incline, or one side is fully compressed and the other is not. Sometimes when there's full compression when slowing going over drastically uneven road...
Old 01-28-2008, 02:14 PM

if you listen closely...in anyway could you interpret the noise as a squeaky bed spring?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
if you listen closely...in anyway could you interpret the noise as a squeaky bed spring?
The "clunk" does not sound related to the springs in any way. It's more of a metal hitting metal sound....feels like the car bottoms down on something.

The squeak that i hear when i turn in to my driveway - yes...this may be related to springs. I just don't see a reason behind it....since i made sure that the OEM springs, insulators and other hardware are all installed properly.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by dansmax2003
The "clunk" does not sound related to the springs in any way. It's more of a metal hitting metal sound....feels like the car bottoms down on something.

The squeak that i hear when i turn in to my driveway - yes...this may be related to springs. I just don't see a reason behind it....since i made sure that the OEM springs, insulators and other hardware are all installed properly.
yeah, i'm in agreement with dansmax on this one...there's no sound coming from that area of the car that sounds like what you described Proph...
Old 01-28-2008, 02:51 PM

I am getting similar sounds on my 6th gen and have been recommended to get the strut mount "bearings" replaced.

I also get a metal on metal whining sound from my steering column...anyone get that?

dan
Old 01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

I had a similar sound. the metal on metal sound, something loose. etc. etc. this is what i did to find out. with the hood up i pushed the car up and down on each side in the front, simulating a speed bump. and looked around....found out the nut on top of the strut was loose. i did not seem loose until i rocked the car up and down and so i tightened it while pushing it up and down. 100% no more sound. and i thought it was the links as well. so we have a VERY similar sound
Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 PM

My car makes this same "clunk" sound. I'll have to check the strut nut and make sure it's tight.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 PM

i have a clunk noise also but i think it's tire rods, however my sqeeks sound like coilover is sqeeking
Old 02-08-2008, 12:14 AM

I checked the nut on the top of the strut tower and it was tight, so I must move to the next step.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by erikgeis
I checked the nut on the top of the strut tower and it was tight, so I must move to the next step.
Yap. Same here. I wish it was a loose nut on the strut.
I tried to tighten it with a ratchet - it does not move at all. I am afraid that if i force it more, i will break the rubber part of the strut mount.

What else should i try now??

Bad Tie rod end? Can they make a "metal-to-metal" clunk over bumps?

Sway bar end links? Mine are only 1yr old. They are not OEM, but when the originals went bad a year ago, i had to deal with very different sounds/clunks from the front end.

Strut bearing? I am 98% sure that i put a new one when i put the new struts few months ago. I know for sure that i installed brand new strut mounts.
Would a bad strut bearing cause these clunks?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM

When i turn the wheel it sound like the spring is moving in the strut or sraping the strut bed.What do i do.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:16 AM

Yap. Same here. I wish it was a loose nut on the strut.
I tried to tighten it with a ratchet - it does not move at all. I am afraid that if i force it more, i will break the rubber part of the strut mount.

What else should i try now??

Bad Tie rod end? Can they make a "metal-to-metal" clunk over bumps?

Sway bar end links? Mine are only 1yr old. They are not OEM, but when the originals went bad a year ago, i had to deal with very different sounds/clunks from the front end.

Strut bearing? I am 98% sure that i put a new one when i put the new struts few months ago. I know for sure that i installed brand new strut mounts.
Would a bad strut bearing cause these clunks?
Originally Posted by playboi21617
When i turn the wheel it sound like the spring is moving in the strut or sraping the strut bed.What do i do.
I'm going to take mine to my mechanic in a week or so to see if he can't help and figure out what this issue is. The quality of my ride is decreasing and the noise is more prevalent when it's cold outside, it's getting to the point where it's beyond annoying.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM

check your motor mounts.... on the side that you are hearing your clunk.

GL.
-Anthony
Old 02-15-2008, 02:10 PM

I had this same exact issue about 10,000 miles ago with my 02 Max SE. The clunking sound is exactly how I described the problem to the Nissan dealership when I brought it in. Fortunately, I was still under factory warranty by 1,000 Miles. It ended up being the wheel bearing. When they took the wheel off, they noticed that the hub was also shot. They ended up replacing both front wheel bearings and hubs. The clunking was then gone. Now, 1 year and 7,000 miles later, the same exact sound is back! I bought this car brand spanking new in 02 and it has been one mechanical nightmare after another. I've made no mods to the car at all and I have an easy 5 mile drive to work. I do not drive "hard" at all. I only have 60,000 miles on this car. I'm at the site today because I just went to the car wash. When I rolled down the window to enter the wash code, it wouldn't go back up. Seems that the window motor is shot.
I've had it with this car and Nissan in general. The absolute worst customer service I've ever seen from an auto company. Let me put this into perspective for you. This car has had the following work done: 2 MAF sensors, 3 oxygen sensors, front bearings and hubs replaced, new tires after 18,000 miles, new brakes after 25,000 miles, new tranny solenoid, ECU upgrade for the o2 sensor problem, window motor (today), new drive belts, and a front ball joint replaced. What happened to Nissan? They used to put out a nice product and stand behind it. This car is going in the paper tomorrow. I'll never own another Nissan again.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:50 AM

I surprised its not the sway bar bushing. My 02 and 03 both had that problem....
Old 02-16-2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
I am getting similar sounds on my 6th gen and have been recommended to get the strut mount "bearings" replaced.

I also get a metal on metal whining sound from my steering column...anyone get that?

dan
yea i get that sound all the time when i turn into the drive or just parking in most places
Old 02-16-2008, 11:28 AM

i have this problem on the road no matter what the surface condition is and when i turn my car on and off. my suspension is fine i had it checked out...i am thinking that it may be a bad motor mount. how can you tell if the insert is bad?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 PM

I would vote for a bad motor mount as well.

When you start the car - do you feel any vibration in the steering wheel (it will be there for a split second as the engine lynches forward).

There are ways to check the mount by reving the car with the other foot firmly on the break and looking at the engine bay to determine the amount of movement - too much movement signals a bad mount.....this is all relative is not it?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:20 PM

Best way is a basic visual inspection, gotta get under there to check the rear one, I've seen sme horribly torn rear ones, seems to be quite common.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by q45Owner
I would vote for a bad motor mount as well.

When you start the car - do you feel any vibration in the steering wheel (it will be there for a split second as the engine lynches forward).

There are ways to check the mount by reving the car with the other foot firmly on the break and looking at the engine bay to determine the amount of movement - too much movement signals a bad mount.....this is all relative is not it?
i do feel vibration when starting my car. i have also reved the engine and saw a little movement from front to back.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:17 AM
i1k

Car is 2003 Maxima AT, with 106k miles.

- I went under the car and visually inspected everything. Nothing is broken, nothing seem loose, no leaks, no bent parts. Car drives straight, does not vibrate, does not pull to the side and does not make any noises...except front and rear squeak when turning into a steep driveway. (sounds like shocks/springs are "rusty", which is absurd). Why do i hear this squeak when my shocks are only 6 months old?

basic visual inspection. Did you have the car up to unload the suspension when you did your inspection?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 AM

Try this.
Raise the car
Take of wheel
Have someone turn the steering while you look at the spring and strut. Also take a very close look at were the spring sits.
If you want switch the springs around in the front that might help
Old 02-23-2008, 06:01 AM

Dansmax, did you ever figure out what the problem was? I'm having the same problem, though its not bad at all. I just got the car and am trying to slowly work my way through the issues.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like your wheel bearings are going out. Depending on how long you've been driving like this your hub may be out of tolerance as well. Symptons other than the clunk include slight to moderate shimming of your steering wheel at low speeds. For the person that replied saying his wheel bearings went out shortly after they were replaced, most likely who ever installed them pressed the outer race into the hub using an inner race.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:18 PM

Sorry but I need to bump this thread even though it's 5 months old. I am having this same clunking issue when slowly going over bumps and pulling into driveways, etc. I just got under the car and checked to see if any of the bushings look torn or battered, and didn't really see anything obvious. I am 99% sure it has nothing to do with my struts (put new strut bearings, Illuminas, and H&R springs on about 2 months ago) and it's been happening since long before that. I basically want to know if anyone who originally posted in this thread got the clunking sound to go away. Dansmax2003, if you happen to read this, I would really like to know what you found out, because the way you described your problem is exactly the way I would describe mine.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:27 PM

It could be the rubber gasket that the top of the spring sits in, also try replacing the little bushing in the strut mount
Old 07-05-2008, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by SuperStasiu
It could be the rubber gasket that the top of the spring sits in, also try replacing the little bushing in the strut mount
It has nothing to do with the struts or strut mounts, I can tell the noise isn't coming from those areas.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:54 AM

Every time after the intervention into the wheel/tire/brakes area (i.e. rotation, balance, brakes job, etc.) the clunk mysteriously disappears. It's usually back in 2-3 month, though.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM

I'm gonna order some OEM sway bar end links and see if they help...
Old 07-11-2008, 01:44 PM

I had the SAME exact symptons and my mechanic said it was my front shock asorbers. Hope that helps
Old 07-12-2008, 06:21 PM

For those who asked ... no, i still have not found the cause of the problem.
I still have the clunk feel/sound when i go over road bumps or dips. It got slightly worse, but as you can tell - am still driving the car - after almost 8k miles since i originally posted. I have no idea what is causing this. I never took the car to a mechanic simply because i do not know any good, trusted mechanics in my area.

This weekend, i am planning to raise the car in the air and test the wheels for "play" to see if it may be a bad wheel bearing(s). I will also "test" the engine mount. Never really paid attention if i get any vibration when i first start the car or rev the engine. Always felt very smooth.

I really don't know what else to check.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:53 AM

dansmax,

I have a '97 that had a similar sound as yours (and on several different occasions). I replaced the front struts (OE's were shot, as were the strut mounts), along with new strut mounts and bearings. The isolators were in good shape, and re-used. My car made that "clunk" sound everytime I hit a bump, and it felt as if it was bottoming out. I originally blamed the strut that was leaking, but finally concluded it was the one strut mount. With the hood open, I watched the strut nut (the top center one) while someone turned the steering wheel. You could see it move (it shouldn't). While replacing the struts, mounts, and strut bearings, I noticed the bad mount's center hole had kinda wallowed out. It has a "flat" on it to fit the flat side of the strut rod, and this was rounded off, allowing the strut rod to rotate within the hole. The rubber part that is cemented inside the metal part had also somehow come "un-cemented" from the metal mount part. That would explain the play I had.
While putting on the new mounts, one was bad out of the box. The hole was too big for my new strut rod, allowing it to just rotate when trying to torque the center nut to ~50 ft/lbs. So back to Autozone it went, and a new one was put on successfully. This all was in May 2006. In Nov 2006, same sound happened, and I checked my mounts. Same problem with a passenger strut mount that was only 6 months old. So it was changed (thankfully it had a lifetime warranty). Fast forward to this week, and once again, I am having the same issue (but not nearly as bad yet). But this time it is my driver's side, which is one that was replaced in May of 2006. So a little over 2 years, and less than 20,000 miles. I also have a "clinking" coming from the same driver's side area that only occurs over very small bumps (ones you almost can't feel), or if I tap and release my brakes really quick (getting the front end to gently dive). I only get it when going slow, as in residential areas. I have checked all of the obvious, including brakes, wheel bearings, ball joints, sway bar bushings, tie-rods, and double checked all fasteners. I got a new strut mount and the spring compresser from Advance Auto yesterday, and will be tackling it in a few hours when the sun comes up. I'll also take the opportunity to triple check everything else in the area. Glad you mentioned engine mounts, because my rear one is something I haven't checked yet.

Anyways, I had noticed that you kinda ruled out strut mounts because yours had recently been replaced. I wanted to let you know what happened to mine, because it's possible one of yours is worn out or it was bad out of the box. Definitely worth checking, and inspecting it is free.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 07-13-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
dansmax,

I have a '97 that had a similar sound as yours (and on several different occasions). I replaced the front struts (OE's were shot, as were the strut mounts), along with new strut mounts and bearings. The isolators were in good shape, and re-used. My car made that "clunk" sound everytime I hit a bump, and it felt as if it was bottoming out. I originally blamed the strut that was leaking, but finally concluded it was the one strut mount. With the hood open, I watched the strut nut (the top center one) while someone turned the steering wheel. You could see it move (it shouldn't). While replacing the struts, mounts, and strut bearings, I noticed the bad mount's center hole had kinda wallowed out. It has a "flat" on it to fit the flat side of the strut rod, and this was rounded off, allowing the strut rod to rotate within the hole. The rubber part that is cemented inside the metal part had also somehow come "un-cemented" from the metal mount part. That would explain the play I had.
While putting on the new mounts, one was bad out of the box. The hole was too big for my new strut rod, allowing it to just rotate when trying to torque the center nut to ~50 ft/lbs. So back to Autozone it went, and a new one was put on successfully. This all was in May 2006. In Nov 2006, same sound happened, and I checked my mounts. Same problem with a passenger strut mount that was only 6 months old. So it was changed (thankfully it had a lifetime warranty). Fast forward to this week, and once again, I am having the same issue (but not nearly as bad yet). But this time it is my driver's side, which is one that was replaced in May of 2006. So a little over 2 years, and less than 20,000 miles. I also have a "clinking" coming from the same driver's side area that only occurs over very small bumps (ones you almost can't feel), or if I tap and release my brakes really quick (getting the front end to gently dive). I only get it when going slow, as in residential areas. I have checked all of the obvious, including brakes, wheel bearings, ball joints, sway bar bushings, tie-rods, and double checked all fasteners. I got a new strut mount and the spring compresser from Advance Auto yesterday, and will be tackling it in a few hours when the sun comes up. I'll also take the opportunity to triple check everything else in the area. Glad you mentioned engine mounts, because my rear one is something I haven't checked yet.

Anyways, I had noticed that you kinda ruled out strut mounts because yours had recently been replaced. I wanted to let you know what happened to mine, because it's possible one of yours is worn out or it was bad out of the box. Definitely worth checking, and inspecting it is free.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Dave,

It does. Thanks for posting up the information. I as well haven't been able to isolate this problem either, hopefully you are able to break some ground with this seeing how you've already done so much so far.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:23 PM

Hi can you please explain this FSTB in more detail. just want to have this in my notes for future reference.. thanks
Old 07-13-2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by baberabbas
Hi can you please explain this FSTB in more detail. just want to have this in my notes for future reference.. thanks
Are you asking what a FSTB is??? If so, you should really try searching. On another note, I ordered new front sway bar end links from Dave B on Friday, hopefully will be getting them this week...

Quick Reply: Front end clunk when going over bumps/dips....gets worse :(