5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help!!! surface scratches on trunk.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 10:52 AM

Help!!! surface scratches on trunk.

here's the story. my lovely wife went shopping and of course bought something for me and put it in the trunk. ok so far so good. when she got home she got the box out of the trunk and you guessed it ,set it on top of the trunk lid. well instead of picking up the box ,she kinda of slid it off. in turn producing several nice surface scratches. keep in mind the car is only 1 week old. so ya know i wasn't too happy. she's not an idiot neither, she is an xray tech. but somehow she has these blonde moments.anyway, the scratches are not deep. so what should i do? take it in to the dealer or to a friend who has a buffer and rub them out? i am going to install a spoiler which will hide the scratches.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:16 AM

Re: Help!!! surface scratches on trunk.

Originally posted by kjpierce
here's the story. my lovely wife went shopping and of course bought something for me and put it in the trunk. ok so far so good. when she got home she got the box out of the trunk and you guessed it ,set it on top of the trunk lid. well instead of picking up the box ,she kinda of slid it off. in turn producing several nice surface scratches. keep in mind the car is only 1 week old. so ya know i wasn't too happy. she's not an idiot neither, she is an xray tech. but somehow she has these blonde moments.anyway, the scratches are not deep. so what should i do? take it in to the dealer or to a friend who has a buffer and rub them out? i am going to install a spoiler which will hide the scratches.
The scratches don't sound too deep so you should be able to buff out the scratches with a little bit of good wax, sweat and effort. Otherwise, your friend's buffer should do the trick.
Besides, the spoiler will eventually hide them anyway...
Old 10-29-2001, 11:26 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

head to walmart or pepboys..

and get the 3M Finish Restorer. its a no brainer and even has some wax in it to protect the finish after you've polished with. I managed to get cat (or some animal) scratches off my fender. I thought they were permanent, looked horrible.. they are gone/invisible now (and that was last year).

I'm sure there are better 'pro' products out there... but this 3m stuff works really well for what it is..