5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anyone ever?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:03 AM

Has anyone ever?

I have no idea where to post this.. so I'm just going to put it here since my Altima relates most to the 5.5th generation.

Has anyone here ever replaced their intake valve timing control solenoid? I've read over the Nissan Manuals and the process looks pretty straight-forward. Remove intake manifold, remove coil-packs, remove valve covers and then remove the solenoids. Now from what I can tell there are just two bolts holding it in, so it's pretty much remove bolts.. swap 'em out for new ones and then reinstall them but is there any sort of reset procedure you have to do with the new ones? I know the solenoids basically read the cam angle via a disc on the end of the camshaft to adjust valve timing accordingly. But will the new sensors basically start from where the old ones stopped and continue to work normally? Or do I have to reset the cam position or something?

Thanks for your help,
GENE
Old 03-01-2008, 09:22 AM
L.M.L.

never heard of anything like that. all such things on this engine are ecu-controlled, so all that can be re-set is the ecu itself. that's all.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks, I guess.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:52 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 2002AltimateV6
Has anyone here ever replaced their intake valve timing control solenoid? I've read over the Nissan Manuals and the process looks pretty straight-forward. Remove intake manifold, remove coil-packs, remove valve covers and then remove the solenoids. Now from what I can tell there are just two bolts holding it in, so it's pretty much remove bolts.. swap 'em out for new ones and then reinstall them but is there any sort of reset procedure you have to do with the new ones? I know the solenoids basically read the cam angle via a disc on the end of the camshaft to adjust valve timing accordingly
The solenoids don't directly read the reluctor wheel on the cams (the CPS' do that), all they do is selectively control oil pressure to to the whole CVTC sweep.

Are you referring to the solenoids that are bolted to the small metal frame that goes between the inner timing cover and the valve cover? If so, no need to remove the valve cover or coilpacks at all...just a few bolts, R&R.

Unless of course you're talking about the actuators themselves, which are bolted to the front of the cams.

Mind you, the last VQ35 I took apart was a revup, so some of how that works may still be in my head vs your regular old FWD VQ35 (CVTC on intake only).

Last edited by pmohr; 03-01-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:44 PM

Well, I'm getting a P0021 code which refers to the "Intake Valve Timing Control Circuit Failure Bank 2." Does this involve just the circuit to which controls them which if I'm understanding correctly is the item you're talking about that's bolted between the inner timing cover and valve cover, or the actuator? I've been getting this code intermittently and I'm getting tired of it. The car runs fine, just every 4-5 weeks it'll pop up with this code at random. Sometimes when cold, sometimes after 1-2 hours of driving and sometimes when turning OFF the car! So I'm just fed up with it so I'll replace then. Dealership will most likely charge me out the *** so I thought.. while I'm in there replacing the spark plugs, coil-packs and valve covers why not change them out.

Would changing out the entire thing (control module/solenoid + actuators, etc.) be all that difficult? I wont have to worry about the valve covers since those are getting replaced, so.. Ill have access. I just don't want to have to take apart the entire engine (timing cover mostly) to replace these.