5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Plug fell apart while sound deadening passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 PM

Plug fell apart while sound deadening passenger door

Could have sworn I was delicate enough taking them out and such that they were fine, but when I went to plug this switch back in, it kind of crumbled in my hand and pieces started falling off. I think that only 2 small metal *****, and 2 copper plates fell out, along with a spring. So i think I have all the pieces to this, and I don''t know if it necessarily broke, anyone recommend me what to do?

Btw, the passenger window doesn't go up from the driver's control either so I need to fix asap.

Here are some pictures...one of the little metal ***** isn't included in the picture of stuff that fell off, but I still have it.

Picture of the cap that fell off the exposed top, along with the parts that fell off inside:
Old 03-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Cletus

yeah, those are delicate. i had one fall apart when i installed blue LEDs. if you lost any of the pieces or dont put it together right, it wont work. just go get a new one.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:41 PM

where would I get one from, and I'd have no idea how to install the new one
Old 03-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by daesonn
where would I get one from, and I'd have no idea how to install the new one
dealership

you just plug the entire switch assembly in to the harness
Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
大陆弟弟

I'm going to sound deaden my doors too, so what is that plug for? Power windows?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have one for $10 plus shipping
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by n3985
I'm going to sound deaden my doors too, so what is that plug for? Power windows?
cant tell from those pics...could be window or lock but im going with windows...
Old 03-05-2008, 06:09 PM

its the power windows switch

its the most deilcate switch i've come across, the driver's door switches are pretty sturdy, almost sprayed one with some spray adhesive though haha.

nsnrider, how did you come across a switch like that? i might have to consider your offer, but first I think I should visit the dealer tomorrow. ill send you a pm
Old 03-05-2008, 06:32 PM
You embarrass me.

+1 to those things sucking. After my LED conversion, I lost the bearings/metal ***** from one of the switches. I had to order a new one, and take them out of that, so I didn't have to redo the LED.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 PM

if I have all the parts I could put it back together? I wonder how the hell I would make that thing work...im afraid to even start trying it...id get too frusterated.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:53 AM

I had no problem putting mine back together. But by your picture you're missing 1 spring and 1 ball bearing. How the hell did you do that anyway?? You'd have to have taken off the black switch housing to get to that part. And the housing doesn't come off easily. Any who, if you do have all the parts its kind of frustrating. I just recently changed all my LEDs so I'm used to putting them back together. It just takes a little finese. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 AM

well I stated that one ball bearing is in my door pocket of which my fingertips can't grasp, gonna use a magnet...and I witnessed the spring fall out when I kind of dropped that little white plastic cap...so I think only 1 spring came out. I can kind of see how the ***** and copper plates go on, but no idea where the spring came from...

Btw, there was no black housing? unless your talking about the actual switch that sits in the door trim...which I wasn't working with, I was working with the door panel off...
Old 03-06-2008, 12:58 PM

right. I understand you were working with the door panel out. But I'm sure you'd find it MUCH easier to actually take the switch out instead of taking that piece out of the switch. or better yet. Just disconnecting the wiring. That aside.

You'll find that the springs actually fit inside the "white plastic cap". When you place the cap onto the main piece. The springs should be pushing down on the ball bearings. Which should be placed in the middle on top of the copper pieces. If I'm not doing a good enough job explaining I might be persuaded to go out and disassemble mine to take pics for you.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM

Don't worry about it, although i'm glad your willing to do it, might be useful for future owners who it happens to as well....but I went to the dealer today, gave me a new one for 35$ altogether, not gonna worry about a few extra dollars because I got it working again within 10 minutes, made my day. Thanks for the help everyone.

Future reference to people who get in the same situation:
Ask darktide how to put it together,
Buy 1 from nsnrider,
Buy one from dealership.