5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

wrecked =(

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 06:11 AM
Got Bent?

wrecked =(

My car is wrecked. I was in bumper-to-bumper traffic this moring on I-95 just before the 495 split. This guy in an old Toyota Camry in front slams his brakes and I do too. I barely stop from hitting him. But the guy behind me in a 2000 Altima can't stop and slams into my back making me hit the guy up front. His radiator gets busted and he his car is done. The guy in front suffers no damage and doesn't want to claim anyhting. My front bumper is scuffed and scratched. The hood is crumpled up, but still closes. The back bumper is scratched up and the trunk seems off center. No lights are broken. It drives ok from what I can tell, but the damage is going to be expensive to fix...
Old 10-30-2001, 06:19 AM
Moe

Damnit, sorry to hear that was you. I saw it on the news this morning on Fox.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:34 AM

Be very careful

I have been in two of these on 66 in the last 2 years. Call me at 703-641-3145 if you need advice, and believe me you do.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:35 AM

That really sucks! Who got the ticket?? Good thing is that none of you were hurt.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That's terrible

Sorry to hear about that.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:23 AM

Re: wrecked =(

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

My car is wrecked. I was in bumper-to-bumper traffic this moring on I-95 just before the 495 split. This guy in an old Toyota Camry in front slams his brakes and I do too. I barely stop from hitting him. But the guy behind me in a 2000 Altima can't stop and slams into my back making me hit the guy up front. His radiator gets busted and he his car is done. The guy in front suffers no damage and doesn't want to claim anyhting. My front bumper is scuffed and scratched. The hood is crumpled up, but still closes. The back bumper is scratched up and the trunk seems off center. No lights are broken. It drives ok from what I can tell, but the damage is going to be expensive to fix...
Wouldn't the insurance cover this ?
Old 10-30-2001, 07:27 AM

Re: Wouldn't the insurance cover this ?

Of course insurance covers, but you still have a wrecked front and rear car, obviuosly it has never happened to you, you take such good care of your ride just to have a fool smash it.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My car is wrecked...
I'm sorry to hear that. I hate it when things like that happened. Ironically, the last time it happened to me, I was living in Northern Virginia not too far away. The front driver not wanting to claim anything is fine and dandy, but be sure you can use that person as a witness so that guy behind you doesn't try to screw you over. Hopefully the Altima-driver was ticketed!!!

Well, once you have gotten over the initial disappointment...start thinking about what you will do during the repair process. Did you say the lights weren't damaged...I think you meant the lights WERE damaged and that will be at least $1200 for a new pair of the HIDs which, of course, were on your car.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:42 AM

sorry to hear it bro, good luck with everything
Old 10-30-2001, 07:51 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you're alright and didn't get hurt. Don't worry, you car can be fixed. Good luck with everything!
Old 10-30-2001, 07:54 AM
Got Bent?

Thanks guys... there were no tickets or anything. The police wrote up a report, but no charges or anything. Since the guy I ended up hitting doesn't want to claim anything, there isn't any way that I could be at fault. The guy behind me drove me into him anyways. I filed a claim with my insurance (Geico) and will go to the adjuster tomorrow. The guy who hit me has allstate insurance, so it looks like things will be covered from the repairs aspect. In terms of damages, it's my hood, front and rear bumper, and the trunk looks like it's off.... if the frame is bent, I am going to get rid of the car. Anyhow, lets see what happens....
Old 10-30-2001, 08:03 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Ninja kit and carbon fiber hood?
Old 10-30-2001, 08:09 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Ninja kit and carbon fiber hood?
hehehe... some guys on the local DC mailing list already mentioned that to me... I am not too fond of the ninja kit.... Stillen Aero kit, maybe But lets see what the insurance adjuster says tomorrow..
Old 10-30-2001, 08:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad to hear that nobody was hurt. Good luck with the repairs and claims.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:29 AM
JET Speed Lab

Old 10-30-2001, 08:51 AM

No tickets

BS, the guy who hit you should have been ticketed, be careful man, been there, done that. The guy you hit could have a change of mind, ie: damages to his car, neck pain, etc... not trying to scare you, but you have to watch yourself.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:54 AM

so sorry man , someone backed into the side of my car and it was $800 of damage... I cried for two days . Keep telling your self it will be OK but it is not the same as it was brand new... I need therapy
Originally posted by ToYLeT902
Old 10-30-2001, 08:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, I kind of have to agree with Blackgums100 on this. Without the police giving the Altima driver a ticket, Allstate can jerk you around on liability forever. Keep any witness phone numbers you have in your pocket just in case that day comes when you need them.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:02 AM

As far as I know, in Jersey and Penn, the last car in the accident is, under most circumstances, responsible for all the cars in front of him. My mom has been in that situation once, though less severe, but she was the last car and she was responsible for 3 cars in front of her. I was the first car in a 3 car accident and my girlfriend was the second car...the third guy ended up paying for the whole thing. Took about a month and a half to process the claim, get the car fixed, and get the car back. Meanwhile, you should be entitled to a fully paid rental vehicle...look into that. If you have another car and don't want to use the rental, then you can get like $15-$20 per day that you don't use the rental option.

I'm sure that there must have been a police report written up. You will need the document number when you call up the insurance company. This helps identify where they can obtain official information on the accident.

In my own experience, the insurance agents of the guy who hit me (Allstate) were very easy to deal with and tried to help us as much as humanly possible considering that they must be dealing with tens to hundreds of claims each day. My own insurance company was very helpful too.

To start with, you basically have two options:
1) handle the entire thing yourself, in which case you don't pay your insurance company a cent (which is what I did).
2) or let your insurance company try to settle the claim with the other guys insurance company, in which case your insurance company will probably charge your deductible....well at least that's how it worked in my case.

I guess that's a start....yeah a month and a half seems like a damn long time, but when you get your Max back, you'll be that much happier. I swear, the first day I got back in my Max, I thought it was SOOO much faster than it was before and SOOO much more powerful.... But that's after a month and a half of driving around a 98 POS Sentra!

Well, good luck with your claim, I hope you did all the right things after the accident (take down the guys policy number, address, phone number, liscense number, the police/trooper document number, etc), which I believe will significantly improve the turnaround time.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:24 AM

Oh yeah

In my case, once in court the guy who hit me said I hit the car in front first, which was BS, but the person I hit really didn't know what had happened, this is why it is important the guy who hit you should have got a ticket, hopefully your accident will not turn into a fiasco like mine. So my insurance declared me at fault, my car(Infiniti) totalled, which luckily it was, however my rates went sky high, Geico is the most unrealiable insurer. To top it off when I went to get my Max, my Infiniti was still listed on thye books, it takes like 2 months to show up paid on your credit report, with it on my books I didn't qualify for the offered 3.9 rate, got 7.9 instead which also cost me about $50 a month extra.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident! Glad you're alright! In the end, things will fall in your favor...
My brother-in-law got into one of these "chain reaction" accidents exactly as you described (he stopped fine, but car behind him caused the reaction) and everything was all taken care of by the reactor's insurance company. He did have to do some leg work to make sure everything was fixed but everything worked out in the end...and he didn't have to spend a dime for anything.

Good luck!!!
Old 10-30-2001, 09:49 AM
Got Bent?

The other guys insurance (Allstate) called me up and told me that I can either go through them or go through my insurance to take care of things. It seems like the guy who rear ended me did assume responsibility for it and Allstate is willing to cover my claim. I need to ask them about a rental car though still. Looks like I will need to go get some estimates soon....
Old 10-30-2001, 09:53 AM
JET Speed Lab

The other guys insurance (Allstate) called me up and told me that I can either go through them or go through my insurance to take care of things. It seems like the guy who rear ended me did assume responsibility for it and Allstate is willing to cover my claim. I need to ask them about a rental car though still. Looks like I will need to go get some estimates soon....
Old 10-30-2001, 09:56 AM

GOOD ESTIMATES...
Old 10-30-2001, 10:02 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by HulaMAX

GOOD ESTIMATES...

yup.... my manager at work has some hook-ups with a body shop.... I'll get it into them soon...
Old 10-30-2001, 10:40 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Do I hear...........

supercharger?

\
Old 10-30-2001, 11:01 AM
Got Bent?

hahaha.... I doubt it... I am not going to try and squeeze something like that out of this... I'd be lucky to get just a little extra dough to cover a few things I had in mind
Old 10-30-2001, 11:22 AM

hahaha.... I doubt it... I am not going to try and squeeze something like that out of this... I'd be lucky to get just a little extra dough to cover a few things I had in mind
As long as you get something out of it on top of the fixes...then it's all good! ...SC would be nice though!
Old 10-30-2001, 01:15 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

dude i go away and pop in to visit and this is what happens? sorry to hear nauman
Old 10-30-2001, 03:53 PM

Nauman... I feel your pain. My new max was hit a few days ago. My damage is minor. More of a scuff on my bumper. Good luck. Let's go drown our sorrows.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:46 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Paul6speed
Nauman... I feel your pain. My new max was hit a few days ago. My damage is minor. More of a scuff on my bumper. Good luck. Let's go drown our sorrows.
hehe... I will be at Zamora's Auto Body Shop on Thursday during lunch and at the insurance adjuster on Friday morning. I checked the car thoroughly just now. The front bumper, grill, hood, and maybe even a quarter panel may need to be replaced. The cross member in front of the radiator is bent. The rear bumper needs to go, the trunk lid is off-center, and the spoiler now creaks a lot. The airbag light stays on longer than before once I start up the car and I may need to get the engine checked out. That's just the visual damage. Who knows what else is busted behind the bumpers? Anyhow, lets just hope the other guy's insurance adjuster doesn't give me any trouble.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:51 PM

hehe... I will be at Zamora's Auto Body Shop on Thursday during lunch and at the insurance adjuster on Friday morning. I checked the car thoroughly just now. The front bumper, grill, hood, and maybe even a quarter panel may need to be replaced. The cross member in front of the radiator is bent. The rear bumper needs to go, the trunk lid is off-center, and the spoiler now creaks a lot. The airbag light stays on longer than before once I start up the car and I may need to get the engine checked out. That's just the visual damage. Who knows what else is busted behind the bumpers? Anyhow, lets just hope the other guy's insurance adjuster doesn't give me any trouble.
anyway for you to just sell the car and get a 2k2?
Old 10-30-2001, 05:08 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
anyway for you to just sell the car and get a 2k2?
I doubt the damages would amount to that much. Blue book trade in value for the thing before the wreck was probably around $18k. So I doubt that the damages would even come close to that mark. But, if there is any frame damage, the car won't ever be the same. In that case, I would try and get them to give me fair value for the thing...
Old 10-30-2001, 05:11 PM
Banned

hehehe... some guys on the local DC mailing list already mentioned that to me... I am not too fond of the ninja kit.... Stillen Aero kit, maybe But lets see what the insurance adjuster says tomorrow..
hey nauman, that sucks about your car, if you get rid of it, then get a 5sp... Hopefully the frame is not bent, but if you want to get the stillen bodykit at cost...just PM me when the time comes around. Glad that you are ok...
Old 10-30-2001, 05:14 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by matt calder

hey nauman, that sucks about your car, if you get rid of it, then get a 5sp... Hopefully the frame is not bent, but if you want to get the stillen bodykit at cost...just PM me when the time comes around. Glad that you are ok...

hehehe... once the adjuster cuts me a check and I know how much it is going to cost to fix the thing, I'll let you know... thanks man!
Old 10-30-2001, 05:18 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

hehehe... once the adjuster cuts me a check and I know how much it is going to cost to fix the thing, I'll let you know... thanks man!
Boost first.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:19 PM
Banned

good to hear...
Old 10-30-2001, 05:23 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Boost first.

check from adjuster first
Old 10-30-2001, 05:50 PM

Don't forget that you need to get an adjustment for depreciated value due to the wreck. Best way is to take it to a dealership and ask the trade in before the wreck and the vale becasue of the major work performed. The other guys insurance needs to give you a check for the difference.

Helps to have a friend at the dealership.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:39 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by vandi
Don't forget that you need to get an adjustment for depreciated value due to the wreck. Best way is to take it to a dealership and ask the trade in before the wreck and the vale becasue of the major work performed. The other guys insurance needs to give you a check for the difference.

Helps to have a friend at the dealership.
yeah... I thought of that.... the car is just over a year old.... I checked blue book value and it gave me $18k for a trade in.... I can take it to a dealer to get it looked at also...

Quick Reply: wrecked =(