5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 Max SE O2 problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:05 AM

2003 Max SE O2 problem...

Hello, I will try and explain this ongoing saga (1.5yrs now) as best I can. Son's 03 Max has had codes P0132, P0152, (both manifold O2 sensor) codes hitting the better part of 2 yrs....! We have changed out both sensors at least 2 times, replaced the Maf, updated the ECU all to no avail! The dealer's top(master) mechanic finally suggested to change out the Engine Control Harness! His ruling to this was as he moved the harness the O2 voltage rate would fluxuate on his screen, therefore a possible broken wire. Last W/E my son was home and we changed out the harness.... PITA to do as the HVAC system case does not allow alot of room to pull the harness through the firewall! Anyway, we succeeded, and I took my time, verifying that no pins were bent in any of the plugs, etc! I reset the ECU, and drove around waiting for the ECU to 're-learn' the sensors! Twenty Kms later, the same 2 codes appeared. Exhasperated, I changed out the front manifold O2 sensor(easiest,LOL) with one of the used ones, erased the codes, and drove again! This time, after 35kms, no codes appeared..... I do not comprehend why( I would have thought one might disappear, not both) anyways..... My son drove the 700kms back to school, calls me yesterday to confirm that the Check Wallet Light is on again!!!! I can only assume the same 2 codes(as it has always been), as my reader did not make the trip!
Has anyone had a continuous O2 headache? (pls, not the early 5th Gen, my wife has an 01, LOL!). I asked my son to talk with this Master mechanic to see if the last ECU update may possibly not have taken properly? I'd like to add, when the check engine light hits, the engine will stumble slightly, sometimes not accelerate, quickly..... yes... myself I feel the Maf would cause the occaasional stumble/acceleration issue, but the 2 codes are always the same...!
All suggestions welcome....
Best,
Sandy
Old 03-26-2008, 03:07 PM

There is an Underlying issue, If the code is what you say it is..
P0132 - Heated Oxygen Sensor 1 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1)
P0152 - Heated Oxygen Sensor 1 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2)

It could be that the pre-cat on both banks are going bad..You said it stumbled too any other codes, for a misfire?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

any mods?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:47 PM

i think 2000 maximas had issues with main harness around rear injector rail.
So you changed the sensor, then the harness. Guess what is next. Computer.
Ask him to look for any software updates on your computer first though
Old 03-26-2008, 04:51 PM

Yes, those are the 2 codes, consistantly! No others... Underlying issue.... ? I agree, but what? I spoke with other service managers in my city to try any other possible thoughts... one(he's trustworthy) came up a possible air/fuel ratio problem, or lack of max fuel pressure, but felt the mechanic would have checked those benchmarks. He suggested my son verify those.... I have emailed him those questions.
No, no mods, original exhaust, car has about 50K miles!
Keep the thoughts/questions coming...
thanks,
Sandy
Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 PM

even if you could get your ecms current part number with a scan tool, you can post it up here and I will see if thats the most updated number for your vehicle.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by NisTech
i think 2000 maximas had issues with main harness around rear injector rail.
So you changed the sensor, then the harness. Guess what is next. Computer.
Ask him to look for any software updates on your computer first though
Yes, you're right about the 2000 and the harness. *my wife has a 2001, so I was interested in that! Son's dealership has changed out both primary O2 sensors(in the last year), twice as well as 1 maf and reflashed the ECU. The car will run well for a couple of weeks/months then the light/2 codes will re-appear! I hear what you're saying about the computer.... my student son doesn't have much to live on these days, so I am helping him!!! This Max is costing plenty... we did the harness replacement as Nissan was going to charge many more for the dealership to do. Not trying to be cheep, just couldn't afford that! We love our Nissans, (06 Murano, 01 Max, 03 Max) just trying to be careful!
thanks,
Sandy
Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by titanbk
even if you could get your ecms current part number with a scan tool, you can post it up here and I will see if thats the most updated number for your vehicle.
OK, thanks, I will send an email to my son. He is suppose to visit the dealership sometime this week. I'll ask that he request that...
best,
Sandy
Old 03-27-2008, 10:52 AM

as long as its still running well, give up, and pull the SES bulb from the back of the dash! (and when your son graduates he can buy himself a new car!)
Old 03-27-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ReauDog
as long as its still running well, give up, and pull the SES bulb from the back of the dash! (and when your son graduates he can buy himself a new car!)
The problem with that is that when you sell it and someone tries to start it and there is no Check Engine Light lighting for 2 seconds he will know you took out the bulb.
So what you do is you wire it out on the same harness as the oil light so they both come on and then go off hahaha