5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 HIDs don't work after alarm fix!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 01:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2K2 HIDs don't work after alarm fix!

I just wired BigDogJonx's alarm fix for the 2K2 HIDs, now my headlights won't turn on! High beam and low beam don't work, but signals and running lights are ok. Any ideas what I did wrong? I don't want to wire it back the way it was except as a last resort.
Old 11-04-2001, 03:28 PM

Bump. I can't drive at night without my lights! Anyone else use BigDogJonx's alarm fix for the 2K2 HIDs?
Old 11-04-2001, 04:44 PM

damn. . .that sucks. . .i hope u figure it out by next week. . hehehe. . .when we install mine. . .good luck finding the prob Tan, prob will have to rewire the whole thing. . .
Old 11-04-2001, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by myktek
damn. . .that sucks. . .i hope u figure it out by next week. . hehehe. . .when we install mine. . .good luck finding the prob Tan, prob will have to rewire the whole thing. . .
For now, I'm going to wire it back the way it was. Not too difficult, just crappy that I couldn't get it to work. Oh well, I'm no auto mechanic or electrician, so I'm not too upset I couldn't figure it out on my own.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Tanmann9

For now, I'm going to wire it back the way it was. Not too difficult, just crappy that I couldn't get it to work. Oh well, I'm no auto mechanic or electrician, so I'm not too upset I couldn't figure it out on my own.
I need to know more about how you did the wiring, cause my website is down right now.

I know it works fine on my car, if you can give me a more detailed info since I cant visual it without my website.

Dixit
Old 11-04-2001, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

I need to know more about how you did the wiring, cause my website is down right now.

I know it works fine on my car, if you can give me a more detailed info since I cant visual it without my website.

Dixit
Haha! Ten minutes too late. I already put everything back the way it was and the lights work again, but without the alarm fix

Anyhow, I wired everything exactly as you explained it in your write up. I did notice that I have an extra brown-covered relay labeled "remote open" that I didn't see in your pictures. My biggest question is which 12V wire to use from the O2 sensor. My mini-writeup that I did to summarize your instructions showed I should use the red with grey marks. There is another wire there that is red with green stripe and grey marks. Which wire is it?
Old 11-04-2001, 11:44 PM

Haha! Ten minutes too late. I already put everything back the way it was and the lights work again, but without the alarm fix

Anyhow, I wired everything exactly as you explained it in your write up. I did notice that I have an extra brown-covered relay labeled "remote open" that I didn't see in your pictures. My biggest question is which 12V wire to use from the O2 sensor. My mini-writeup that I did to summarize your instructions showed I should use the red with grey marks. There is another wire there that is red with green stripe and grey marks. Which wire is it?
Well I cant tell right now which wire it is because the website is down but I can tell you for sure it is the wire closest to the front of the car. Like the last wire on the plug closest to the battery. If that makes sense.

Now I think the problem is that you aint get the right type of relay, it has to be a SPST type relay. Available at radioshack for like $5. If it is a different type, then that is your problem there.

Dixit
Old 11-05-2001, 07:46 AM

You don't remember whether its a red wire or a red wire with green stripe? I'm not sure that's the only problem, but it's the biggest uncertainty. I think the ground and relay are ok. I'll check the relay type again to make sure. It's a 30Amp 12V relay from Radio Shack for $5.99. Looks just like yours and has all the correct pins numbered.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:17 PM

You don't remember whether its a red wire or a red wire with green stripe? I'm not sure that's the only problem, but it's the biggest uncertainty. I think the ground and relay are ok. I'll check the relay type again to make sure. It's a 30Amp 12V relay from Radio Shack for $5.99. Looks just like yours and has all the correct pins numbered.
Dude, I just wrote up there what wire it was, it is the one closest to the battery. Cause that MAF sensor plug is at an angle, if you look at the plug, the wire closest to the battery. That i know for a fact, I cant look at my car cause it is all taped up.

Dixit
Old 11-05-2001, 04:43 PM

Hey man, didn't mean to be rude or sound ungrateful, I'm just kind of tired from working on this all day. I'm also very concerned that I'm messing up my car by cutting into the electrical system and maybe causing problems with the O2 sensor. I'm not blaming your instructions, just I'm ****ed for not knowing any better before hacking into my $26500 car. I'm very appreciative of the work you did to make this mod possible.

Now back to the issue: the O2 sensor plug is at a 45 degree angle from the top of the battery, but the red wire that would be considered closest to the battery is the red wire with green stripe and gray marks. I'll try to wire the alarm fix again this week using the red\green wire instead.

Again, thanks for the help