5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lessons Learned! :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 03:44 PM

Lessons Learned! :)

Today I accidently started a Camry-Maxima-which-is-better war in another bbs.
It happened when some one wrote a post asking why so many people are buying Camrys... So I answered because Camry is reliable, most Camry owners don't care about performance and handling, all they care are durability and comfort, and that's why majority of Camry owners have V4...blah,blah. I didn't say what is really in my mind that Camry is a slow-*** and old-people-driven car. All the sudden some Camry owners jumped out and saying Camry V6 are better than Maxima, and is even better than Audi A4 and Jaguar, 3.2 TL... So I said OK Camry is the best car in the world, and they criticise me of being un-rational and emotional.

The funniest thing is when I told them that Maxima's VQ engine is rated as one of "10 Best" by J.D power, they claimed that from their experience Camry's V6 is better than Maxima's...
I was like WTF!!!!??????

Damn, I never thought that those Camry owners could be so Dum-A$$...

Lessons learned, I will never argue with them again. It will just lower my level.

Old 11-05-2001, 03:58 PM

Don't you know that Camry's walk on water and poop gold?
Old 11-05-2001, 04:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by punkdork
Don't you know that Camry's walk on water and poop gold?
That may be, but despite all that talent...its about as boring as 4-doors can get.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:56 PM

Heh, I suspect it's just because of "owning the car pride," There's someone that will say that about ANY car, as long as he/she owns it (even like a Kia (no offense to Kia owners) or something universially known as crappy). =)
Old 11-05-2001, 05:01 PM

Re: Lessons Learned! :)

Wait wait wait... are you trying to tell me that the Camry ISN'T better than the Audi a4, Jag, and acura 3.2TL ??

You could buy 2 camry's for the price of a nicely equipeed version of any of those cars... I want some of what those camry owners are smoking!

Anyway, I love picking on camry's, especially the 4 bangers... I love the commercial with the new toyota, where they claim it's redesigned to be "sportier", and "faster". An automagic maxima can still walk one without a problem(i'm talking 2k, and 2k1), so imagine what a 2k2 6spd vlsd can do...

I mean, c'mon, even the new altima can spank it... it can spank it hard, and spank it long.... spank it sideways, and in reverse...

Although I do think Nissan went a tad to far in their brochure with the part where they say something like "0-60 in 6.28 seconds lets you pick on Porsche's Boxster...."

-Tom Z.

Originally posted by xinl2KMaxAutoSE
Today I accidently started a Camry-Maxima-which-is-better war in another bbs.
It happened when some one wrote a post asking why so many people are buying Camrys... So I answered because Camry is reliable, most Camry owners don't care about performance and handling, all they care are durability and comfort, and that's why majority of Camry owners have V4...blah,blah. I didn't say what is really in my mind that Camry is a slow-*** and old-people-driven car. All the sudden some Camry owners jumped out and saying Camry V6 are better than Maxima, and is even better than Audi A4 and Jaguar, 3.2 TL... So I said OK Camry is the best car in the world, and they criticise me of being un-rational and emotional.

The funniest thing is when I told them that Maxima's VQ engine is rated as one of "10 Best" by J.D power, they claimed that from their experience Camry's V6 is better than Maxima's...
I was like WTF!!!!??????

Damn, I never thought that those Camry owners could be so Dum-A$$...

Lessons learned, I will never argue with them again. It will just lower my level.

Old 11-05-2001, 05:47 PM

All the sudden some Camry owners jumped out and saying Camry V6 are better than Maxima, and is even better than Audi A4 and Jaguar, 3.2 TL...
Wow , that's some funny stuff
I think what you said was cool.. and accurate. When I think Camry, i think reliable, like old shoes or Vanilla ice cream. Iplain and none really pays much attention to it. When I think Maxima, I think Damn, slick *** 4 door! Yeah some people dont like the look of, but at least there looking...at me pass the Camry
Old 11-05-2001, 05:48 PM

All the sudden some Camry owners jumped out and saying Camry V6 are better than Maxima, and is even better than Audi A4 and Jaguar, 3.2 TL...
I think what you said was cool.. and accurate. When I think Camry, I think reliable, like old shoes or Vanilla ice cream. P lain and no one really pays much attention to it. When I think Maxima, I think Damn, slick *** 4 door! Yeah some people dont like the look of, but at least there looking...at me pass the Camry
Old 11-05-2001, 05:58 PM

It will just lower my level.
Remember...always go one step lower!

ADMAN
Old 11-05-2001, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by CoolChuck
I think what you said was cool.. and accurate. When I think Camry, I think reliable, like old shoes or Vanilla ice cream. P lain and no one really pays much attention to it. When I think Maxima, I think Damn, slick *** 4 door! Yeah some people dont like the look of, but at least there looking...at me pass the Camry

I will give them 1 thing.... their auto tranny is smoother (at least than my auto 2k maxima). I've also heard that their torque curve is a little flatter too, but i'd take the 222hp peak anyday...

Besides, Nissan commercials are way cooler...
(Anyone remember that camry commercial where they tried to convince people that driving a camry was sexy... (the guy getting all the looks from the ladies!!?!?! what BS... or how about those stupid toyota tv guy commercials... those ****** at toyota marketing are so bad they couldn't sell free food to a starving afghanistan...)

-Tom Z.
(Posting faster than a camry rolling downhill!!!)
Old 11-05-2001, 06:05 PM

does anyone else hate ignorance?

jersey
Old 11-05-2001, 08:31 PM

i do have to admit one thing, the new camry se is kinda..well..a bit...sporty! 3-spoke steering wheel, aluminum bezel sport gauges, perforated leather(i think), spoiler, looks decent, but damn, i still don't understand why the camry(and the accord) V6 doesn't have a manual tranny camry's are nice cars, but performance is not close to the maxima.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:53 PM
JET Speed Lab

camry is a definate old persons car. maxima's go both ways.
Old 11-05-2001, 11:38 PM

Guys thanks for all the support. Now I feel much better.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:33 AM

Almost reminds me of the stupid commercial of the 2 guys doing yardwork talking about their new cars. The idiot with the Camry pays 7K over what the idiot with the Kia. Camry seems like it is a mid-life crisis car. Reliable, decent milage, boring looks, and they make you pay alot for that, which makes someone feel like they really bought a great car.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:00 AM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by Matticus
Almost reminds me of the stupid commercial of the 2 guys doing yardwork talking about their new cars. The idiot with the Camry pays 7K over what the idiot with the Kia. Camry seems like it is a mid-life crisis car. Reliable, decent milage, boring looks, and they make you pay alot for that, which makes someone feel like they really bought a great car.
couldnt agree more. you shouldnt have a camry unless your 50+
Old 11-06-2001, 09:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Matticus
Heaven help me if my mid-life crisis is capped by the purchase of a Toyota Camry.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
If you are 50+ and are driving a camry, you screwed up! You should be driving a 5-series by then.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:26 PM

So I answered because Camry is reliable, most Camry owners don't care about performance and handling, all they care are durability and comfort, and that's why majority of Camry owners have V4...blah,blah.
just a warning to you...i would never say V4 in front of someone you are trying to insult because they will blow it right back in your face and can use that to say something like "you know nothing about cars" or something like that...just a word of warning
Old 11-06-2001, 12:34 PM

I don't blame Toyota for making the Camry such a boring car, it's making what the majority of american people want, and the majority of the american public buy a car as an appliance to go from point A to point B in the maximum amount of comfort. So far I've seen close to 12 new Camry's on the road versus 3 new Altimas. The new Altima and Maxima blows the Camry in every category except ride, yet the average US buyer will buy the Camry just for that reason and the overrated perception of Camry reliability. Why do you think people are buying SUVs like crazy, that's because SUV's are comfortable transportation appliances that let them sit up high, talk on their cell phones, drink their big gulps, and munch on a bag of Doritos, all at the same time. The average US driver doesn't care about handling, road feel, steering feedback, and high revving engines, they care more about cup holders,lumbar support, and a soft ride. That's why people buy more Camrys than Maximas and Altimas combined. I hope Nissan will continue emphasizing sportiness and style in their vehicle, because that's what gives a car character, and after all you are what you drive.

sorry for the long message.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:36 PM
JET Speed Lab

that was long but true. i can only fit those fun size pack of dorito's in my car
Old 11-06-2001, 12:58 PM

camry is a definate old persons car. maxima's go both ways.
My thoughts exactly!!!
Old 11-06-2001, 02:26 PM

Re: Re: Lessons Learned! :)

So it should be I4, right?
Originally posted by MrBurner

just a warning to you...i would never say V4 in front of someone you are trying to insult because they will blow it right back in your face and can use that to say something like "you know nothing about cars" or something like that...just a word of warning
Old 11-06-2001, 03:10 PM

correct
Old 11-06-2001, 06:02 PM
Got Bent?

that was long but true. i can only fit those fun size pack of dorito's in my car
eating not allowed in car

madmax2k1: I agree 100% with your comments... that is another reason why the US doesn't get any cool cars like people in Europe and Japan do....
Old 11-06-2001, 07:21 PM
JET Speed Lab

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
[B]

eating not allowed in car

i know. i spilled soda in the cup holders, lucky it didnt dry and become sticky.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:04 PM

All i can say about the camrys is that they suck

On feburary 2000 i went to the dealer and saw a sticker price of a fully loaded 2000 XLE at 29,500 dollrs...i was like ...yeah right.

At October 2001 i went to see a 2001 maxima...and saw for a fully loaded SE the same price...so which one will you buy...the maxima which takes the camry in almost everything except ride quilty which i don't really care that much.

Everyone has a camry and its boring to see every way you go the same car you have every 2 seconds. they are plain and they are starndard. so whoever wants it be my guest but owning a car like that make the driving any fun!
Old 11-07-2001, 06:28 AM

A few months ago my GRANDMOTHER was considering buying a Maxima!! I then tried to get her to look at the Toyota Avalon because I simply couldn't bear the thought of my grandma driving the same car I do.

But, in the end I knew that she would never buy an import (or import brand). She ended up with a 2001 Buick Lesabre. Even this car was a stretch for her...it is the first front-wheel-drive car she has ever owned! She always had Lincoln TownCars.