5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Metallic knocking in front right wheel over cracks in the road?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Metallic knocking in front right wheel over cracks in the road?

I've been having this issue for quite a few months now, but it has now progresed to the point where it is constant on all roads...

Originally, it was only when i went over small cracks in the road and I would hear a metallic knock/click sound coming from what I believe is the front passenger side wheel. I have to assume something isn't tight or maybe my shock is bad? Maybe a tie rod issue? (i'm just throwing out ideas with no justification here...) I really have no idea, so I'm looking for some input without bringing it into a garage!

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

::

just looking for a few ideas (maybe something to check for?) I'd rather not bring it into the shop if it's something I can diagnose/repair myself.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:25 AM

There are a lot of threads on this theme since the car has appeared on the market. Nobody knows, however, what is causing a noise for sure. Did you try searching? For myself, I found the noise disappears after any getting in to the wheel /brake area (i.e. tire or brake job). It's usually back in 3-4 month, though.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:20 AM

I have the same problem too. I have changed my outer tie rod with MOOG, MOOG ball joints, Tokico Illuminas sturts, Eibach springs, ES bushing sway bar, and strut mounts. basically almost everything except inner tie rod, but before i wanna change inner tie rod, i checked if they were good. the problem is still there even getting worse. I dunno what the hell is going on.

Last edited by SoulEater; 09-09-2008 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:44 AM

I had a similar problem on my 98 Maxima a couple of years ago. Turned out that the isolating plastic sleeve over the first couple of inches of the top spring end, in the strut assembly, was ripped. That exposed the tip of the spring which in turn ruptured the rubber pad that sits between the end of the spring and the metal mounting plate. The vibration of these two metals in contact was making that noise. At the time, I repaired the plastic sleeve over the spring end with a lot of electric tape and rotated the rubber pad so the tip of the spring sits on an unaffected area and the noise was gone. Even if you are just checking for that kind of damage, this job involves the disassembly of the strut. If you are going to tackle it, I strongly suggest to borrow a spring compressor at your local autopart store.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:10 PM

I've been ignoring that problem and noticed that my coilover is loose. going to tighten today and will let u guys know if it fixed the metal clink in the right front. Looks like suspension issue for sure, check the strut and spring.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:10 PM

just throwing a few thoughts out there:
- can it be the bushings on the sub frame on high mileage cars?
- what about the power steering rack? i know its connected via bolts to the frame... could those be loose causing the clunk?
- I would start with torquing the front end to factory spec and then probably look at parts if mileage is high.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 AM

bump!!!

So the ordering of JiC's is not going to make the noise go away? i just figured my strut was blown, now I have the coilovers comming in the mail. great....
Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 AM

Check the spring isolator (rubber sleeve around the bottom of spring) to make sure your spring isn't knocking off the bottom seat of the strut. Make sure the 3 nuts holding your strut are torqued properly...one could be loose. Check your front sway bar end links...I had a metallic clunking noise in the front end of my car for a long time until I finally replaced my end links and they solved the problem.