5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Blacked out tails, HOW TO and INFO

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 12:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Blacked out tails, HOW TO and INFO

Well here is the info some of you requested on how to make the tails black. First off you need to get this paint that ADMAN told me to get from www.SummitRacing.com and then order part # VHT-SP999. The can is $7 and then they hoard with shipping at $7 cause it is "harourdous" to ship.

Then once you get it, I suggest REMOVING your tails, and then masking off the sides and what not which you dont want paint getting on. Then with Rubbing Alcohol, clean off all the grease, grime, and finger print marks. And then DO NOT touch the tails again on the area you just cleaned. Finger prints leave oil marks which dont help with the painting process.

Then apply like 4-5light coats of this special paint. Apply it evenly. Now you can apply as many or as little amount of coats as you like to get the darkness or smoke-ness you want. Remember the more dark it gets, the less light that comes through from the turnsignals, parking and stop lights, and barely anything from the reverse lights. Once you get the color you want, let it dry for 6hrs and then re-install the tails.

You will then see how bad the light output you got now, but I am still trying to figure out how to increase the wattage on the bulbs, i mean get new higher wattage bulbs to compensate for the loss of output.

But here are some more pics to show you what my car looks like now, and yes I know my car is dirty.

Dixit
Old 11-09-2001, 12:32 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

They look nice.

Psssstttt...... remove the pinstripe.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:35 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Dixit,

want to remove the pinstripe this sunday?
Old 11-09-2001, 12:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
They look nice.

Heh, I thought it was the curb paint reflecting in the gloss black. Didn't know Maximas had that pinstripe...
Old 11-09-2001, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

Dixit,

want to remove the pinstripe this sunday?
I guess, I dont know if it will look good or bad. Cause the last time i did it on my GOLD maxima, i thought the front fenders looked "bulkier"

Dont know though

Dixit
Old 11-09-2001, 12:52 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

I guess, I dont know if it will look good or bad. Cause the last time i did it on my GOLD maxima, i thought the front fenders looked "bulkier"

Dont know though

Dixit

personally, I don't like the pinstripe on any car... but hey, it's up to you....
Old 11-09-2001, 12:54 PM

Re: Blacked out tails, HOW TO and INFO

That wheel is bLiNg-bLiNg Y'ALL!! Heh, the wheel came out cool in the picture. The tails look great, and let's see more pics with the drop.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:55 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Check out other black Maxes (w/o the stripe) on CarDomain. http://maxima.cardomain.com Just do a search on 2k or 2k1.
Old 11-09-2001, 01:03 PM

Re: Re: Blacked out tails, HOW TO and INFO

Originally posted by Weasel
That wheel is bLiNg-bLiNg Y'ALL!! Heh, the wheel came out cool in the picture. The tails look great, and let's see more pics with the drop.
HAhaha, glad you like the Bling Blings. "some" people on this board who will remain nameless think they look fugly. But that is their opinions.

Now Here is a pic of it from the side, just lowered it 2days ago with MaxSpeed springs. Dropped it about 1.8" in the front, I imagine it will drop more when it settles.

Looks great and rides almost like stock. $95 off eBay, cant beat that and I installed it myself and with a friend, took 3hrs.

Dixit
Old 11-09-2001, 01:11 PM

My experience with BLACKOUT tails is that it leaves them with a really dull (matte) finish. It's hard to see that on these pix. so I couldn't tell.
...I'd recommend to finish it off with a clear coat of paint too. It'll give it that shiny look and match the gloss of the paint. (IMHO)
Old 11-09-2001, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by HulaMAX
My experience with BLACKOUT tails is that it leaves them with a really dull (matte) finish. It's hard to see that on these pix. so I couldn't tell.
...I'd recommend to finish it off with a clear coat of paint too. It'll give it that shiny look and match the gloss of the paint. (IMHO)
I agree with you there, But what I did is kinda put the last coat slightly heave, which left a glossy finish. But someone told me if I put clear coat on this that it will make the joint cloudy? but I dont know how that is possible, but if it is, I dont want to risk it.

I do however want to clear coat it cause the car washes or just slightly scraping it with the back of your nail leave a small scratch-like line.

Dixit
Old 11-09-2001, 02:18 PM

I agree with you there, But what I did is kinda put the last coat slightly heave, which left a glossy finish. But someone told me if I put clear coat on this that it will make the joint cloudy? but I dont know how that is possible, but if it is, I dont want to risk it.

I do however want to clear coat it cause the car washes or just slightly scraping it with the back of your nail leave a small scratch-like line.

Dixit
Clear coating it will not make it cloudy unless you're impatient and try to do one quick coat. The clouds are from painting a thick coat, paint running, or bubbly "orange peel". Seems like you're patient enuf to lay the black coat, so you should be just fine with the Clear coating.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Removable?

Can you remove the paint easily or is it on for good? Just in case you get pulled over multiple times for the painted taillights, or if you get tired of the look and want to go back to stock.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:43 PM

Re: Removable?

Originally posted by Tanmann9
Can you remove the paint easily or is it on for good? Just in case you get pulled over multiple times for the painted taillights, or if you get tired of the look and want to go back to stock.
Think of it as nail polish...nail polish remover (aka paint thinner)should do the trick.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:43 PM

well if anyone tries this mod and screws up ... I have a set of GXE tails from the 00 max that you can use. Or if you are just looking for a new set of tails to use so you can go back to stock, I will sell my old ones. If you are interested let me know ...

email: ispeed2000@hotmail.com
Old 11-09-2001, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by ispeed
well if anyone tries this mod and screws up ... I have a set of GXE tails from the 00 max that you can use. Or if you are just looking for a new set of tails to use so you can go back to stock, I will sell my old ones. If you are interested let me know ...

email: ispeed2000@hotmail.com
Same offer here, but with SE tails.
Old 11-09-2001, 03:23 PM

Re: Re: Removable?

Originally posted by HulaMAX

Think of it as nail polish...nail polish remover (aka paint thinner)should do the trick.
Heres the thing though, how can you use nail polish remover? Cause sometimes I have seen nail polish remover eat away the plastic. I dont want to ruin the plastic underneath also.

Dixit
Old 11-09-2001, 04:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Removable?

Heres the thing though, how can you use nail polish remover? Cause sometimes I have seen nail polish remover eat away the plastic. I dont want to ruin the plastic underneath also.

Dixit
Unfortunately, it will not remove the "black out" without also removing part of the finish of the plastic.
It won't "damage" it, it just won't have the same new "shine".
Old 11-09-2001, 07:51 PM

Is this brand of paint good for any kind of plastic?
Old 11-10-2001, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by 2maxguy
Is this brand of paint good for any kind of plastic?
I believe so, it was made specailly for tailights. So I would assume it would stick on any type of plastic as long as it was cleaned thouroughly.