5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pending P0340, checked the grounds, replaced the sensor, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 04:41 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Pending P0340, checked the grounds, replaced the sensor, now what?

Believe me, I have done a search.

Here is the problem. When I have to get on the gas hard when the engine is cold (pretty rare but the street I pull out on has pretty heavy traffic, either gun it or sit for 5 minutes), or when I have bumped the rev limiter (usually when I have to pull out and get on it hard and don't want the wheel spin to upshift prematurely into 2nd) my car starts to miss or hesitate when I give it gas. It may do it once or twice or several times. Once I turn off the car and restart it, no problems, runs perfectly. This doesn't even happen each time when cold or hitting the rev limiter. I check the code with my code reader since this have NEVER caused the SES light to come on. Each time it is a pending P0340 code which is the bank 1 crank position sensor. According to Nissan, either my car wasn't covered or the work was done under the crank position sensor recall-officially they say I have no recall issues pending.

I have pulled the engine cover, removed the ground wires, cleaned the area it grounds to and regrounded the wires. I also replaced the bank 1 crank position sensor. I even reset the ECU thinking maybe it wasn't seeing the new sensor without a reset. I still have the problem. Maybe once every couple of months it pops up.

Could there maybe be a software update that hasn't been done? Could the main crank position sensor be at fault? Last thing I want to do is have to go to the dealer and get bent over. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 09-19-2008, 04:51 PM

Sounds like you got the ESM. On page EC-335, it states the starter or weak battery could throw this pending code.....?

Possible Causes:

Harness or connectors
[The camshaft position sensor
(PHASE) circuit is open or shorted.]
Camshaft position sensor (PHASE)
Camshaft (Intake)
Starter motor (Refer to SC section.)
Starting system circuit (Refer to SC
section.)
Dead (Weak) battery
Old 09-19-2008, 05:17 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I haven't noticed any typical "weak battery" issues and the car starts quickly. If either of those could cause the pending SES light, it doesn't seem like there would actually be drivability issues associated with it.

At least you've given me a few more options to look at, thanks.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Wish I could help ya more. Those possible causes in my first post are directly from the ESM.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
... I have pulled the engine cover, removed the ground wires, cleaned the area it grounds to and regrounded the wires. I also replaced the bank 1 crank position sensor. I even reset the ECU thinking maybe it wasn't seeing the new sensor without a reset. I still have the problem. Maybe once every couple of months it pops up.

Could there maybe be a software update that hasn't been done? Could the main crank position sensor be at fault? Last thing I want to do is have to go to the dealer and get bent over. Anyone got any ideas?
You replaced CAMSHAFT position sensor on bank 1, not crankshaft as you wrote didn't you? If not, then may be you should as P0340 corresponds to bank 1 camshaft sensor.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
You replaced CAMSHAFT position sensor on bank 1, not crankshaft as you wrote didn't you? If not, then may be you should as P0340 corresponds to bank 1 camshaft sensor.
good catch.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:48 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I did replace the camshaft sensor. Green sensor that goes into the rear bank on the driver's side. Parts guy said it was the correct sensor for the P0340 code.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 PM

I did replace the camshaft sensor. Green sensor that goes into the rear bank on the driver's side. Parts guy said it was the correct sensor for the P0340 code.
... and you still have that P0340 code nonetheless? Did you clear codes after sensor replacement? I'm so persistent because that sensor can easily be a reason for the problem. I wouldn't look anywhere else until I get that code taken care of. FSM is mostly concerned with connector contacts and possible shorts to the ground.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:45 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

... and you still have that P0340 code nonetheless? Did you clear codes after sensor replacement? I'm so persistent because that sensor can easily be a reason for the problem. I wouldn't look anywhere else until I get that code taken care of. FSM is mostly concerned with connector contacts and possible shorts to the ground.
I cleared the code after replacing the sensor with my code reader. A few weeks later, I disconnected the battery, turned on the headlights and stepped on the brake pedal which should completely discharge the system (still left the battery cable off for 30 minutes) thinking maybe the ECU needed to be reset to see the new sensor.

The only time the pending (never has turned on the SES light) P0340 code is stored is if I have accelerated too hard when the engine is cold or if I manage to hit the rev limiter. Then I get the hesitation on acceleration. I turn off the car, then restart it and the car drives normally again. I also clear the code with my code reader.

I can't figure out what the connection is between cold engine acceleration and the rev limiter have to do with a P0340 but on my car there is.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:12 AM

I can't figure out what the connection is between cold engine acceleration and the rev limiter have to do with a P0340 but on my car there is.
I see. While I also have no idea the 2 things I know for sure: ECM sees your new sensor, otherwise engine would be running much worse; code is stored in non- volatile memory of ECM (kind 0f flush) so the only way to clear it is with scanner or some of them get auto- cleared by ECM after certain number of starts. Looks like it wasn't the sensor initially.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Anyone got ideas why cold engine acceleration or hitting the rev limiter would cause a pending P0340 code?

Since the last time it happened, no more pending P0340 but I haven't hit the rev limiter or accelerated hard on a cold engine.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Would water or ethanol in the gas cause the code? Sounds like it's more of a fuel issue to me. Like maybe the EGR valve or something.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Armelius
Would water or ethanol in the gas cause the code? Sounds like it's more of a fuel issue to me. Like maybe the EGR valve or something.
The 2k2 max doesn't have EGR ...
Old 10-07-2008, 07:34 PM

Anyone got ideas why cold engine acceleration or hitting the rev limiter would cause a pending P0340 code?

Since the last time it happened, no more pending P0340 but I haven't hit the rev limiter or accelerated hard on a cold engine.
I have one:
TSB link

That TSB is not for your car but what it basically says is that injector signals coming out of ECU can interfere with sensor inputs making them 'look' wrong from ECU point of view. It might apply to your case: injector pulses change with acceleration. Basically, I think it is electrical and one of the trickiest. I'd check battery voltage (swap with another one for test), grounding and ECU connector especially around pins corresponding to CPS you replaced. I'd also check continuity of every wire of the CPS connector, and especially resistance between its ground and ECU's.

You asked for it .

Last edited by Max_5gen; 10-07-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 PM

The 2k2 max doesn't have EGR ...
Yeah, I know. Evap canister. Just saying what it sounds like.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:21 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I have one:
TSB link

That TSB is not for your car but what it basically says is that injector signals coming out of ECU can interfere with sensor inputs making them 'look' wrong from ECU point of view. It might apply to your case: injector pulses change with acceleration. Basically, I think it is electrical and one of the trickiest. I'd check battery voltage (swap with another one for test), grounding and ECU connector especially around pins corresponding to CPS you replaced. I'd also check continuity of every wire of the CPS connector, and especially resistance between its ground and ECU's.

You asked for it .
I already have a grounding kit and have checked the camshaft position sensor grounds. The problem when cold does tend to point in the direction of the wiring since minute gaps would be gone once the engine heats up and expands enough to cover a minor wiring problem.

The battery seems fine but I have no idea how old it is, might be worth a try swapping in a new one.

Looking at that TBS reminds me of why when routing spark plugs, you keep the wires seperate so they don't cross fire. I wonder if the coloring of the wires is the same from a 4th gen to a 5.5 gen? Looks like a minor PITA fix but if that does it, great.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

P0340 + Hesitation on my 2002 Max - solved!

Hi All,
I finally had some success with my 2002 Max, horse bucking hesitation and P0340 (camshaft sensor) error code. In my car, it's the ECU overheating.
History is that originally had this symptom when the P0340 camshaft sensor developed an intermittent problem due to a bad solder joint. Dealer replaced it (2-3 tries to perform each recall properly, then they went out of business). When they replaced it properly, the problem went away.
One year later, the hesitation problem came back it exactly the same way (triggered by pressing the accelerator hard, or even medium when shifting). Long story short, two new camshaft sensors did not fix it. Disconnecting the sensor made the car hard to start, and less power, but the bad hesitation went away. I think there was still occasionally some light hesitation.
Clearing OBD codes did not help. Disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes helped for a couple weeks. Mass flow sensor change didn't help much (Tre Performance has one that matches the first revision sensor).
In the winter (around 50 F evenings, 60 - 65 daytime), the hesitation became much less common. It almost never happened on the way to work (20 min), except possible within a couple minutes from my destination. This was under some high-tension power lines, so I suspected those for a while too. Almost always happened on my return trip home, sometimes within a minute of starting (also near those power lines).
Anyway, sorry to bore all with details. One day I decided to run the A/C full blast to the floor. This seemed to help reduce the frequency of hesitation after a week of testing. So then I taped a piece of cardboard under the dash on the passenger side to redirect some air into the center console area. After a few trips the hesitation had almost completely disappeared. I say 'almost' because sometimes I feel some mild, brief hesitation when shifting and accelerating, but it's completely different before and may be normal - I just don't remember. The SES light went out a few days after the air conditioner redirection.
I hope this helps some people help isolate the problem. I think the ECM detects maybe feedback control problems as P0340. So the other camshaft sensor code doesn't pop up nearly as much. And P0340 can mean almost anything, so you have to be patient.

Good luck!
Andrew