5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SSIM'd my Car today

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:58 PM

SSIM'd my Car today

So I was laid off my job a few weeks ago (Worked in the Finance Industry Go figure) so I have lots of free time and figured it was about time to do somthing with my new found free time. Since I'm living on a budget at the moment I figured I'd try out the SSIM. It's free if you already have the tools.

I did the following,

Gutted and smoothed out the intake
Installed the NWP Block Plate
Re-installed all the Intake spacers

The Power is great! My car will let me redline at 7100 rpms and it pulls all the way to it. I did notice a little bit of a drop in power from 3 to about 4 to 4.2 rpms. I am a 6MT so if your a automatic you may notice a bit more of a drop. The power difference is crazy though. I think I picked up a few extra HP from installing the spacers correctly this time also. I had a lot of RTV blocking the lower IM heads. I had about a hand full of extra sealant that I had cut out from the holes in the spacers from the Lower IM.

The results are pretty much what everyone else claims but I just wanted people to know this is somthing you could probably do your self in less than a day if you know what you are doing and have the right tools. Hopefully when I get another job I can go and get it dyno'd and tuned.

This was definitly well worth the few hours of time it took to do this.

I'm and certainly no Master mechanic but I did read plenty about this before I attemted it but I really didnt find this hard to do. You just have to make sure that you take your time when cutting the inside of you Upper IM, you dont wanna go cutting in the runners or anything crazy like that (a finger). My idea is when it comes to doing stuff to the car is "slow and steady wins the race".

The tools I used was...

Recipricating saw with Metal cutting blades (the Sand paperish looking ones)
A Dremel - Used about 20-30 cut off disks, and 2 and a half grinding bits
A Hammer - Used to bang out some of the half cut aluminum to save time (Kinda risky so beware)

Well I hope this wasnt a pointless post but like I said, for you people who have been debating on doing this it really isnt that hard and is certainly worth it!

If anyone has any questions let me know, I dont mind helping out.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 PM
nycnissans

free mods are always a +
Old 10-14-2008, 07:04 PM

thanks for the post good to know,.. ive been thinking about it for a while but i think im going to pick up a junkyard 3.5 mani off carparts.com or something and try on that,.. but i need some other mods first, like headers ,.... what are your mods? BTW... do u have anything for tuning / a/f ?

time to find more free fun mods to do lol... try this,..http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...kstayaway.html

or get some tape and a razor and black out your window trim,....unless you like it of course

Last edited by mist max2000; 10-14-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 PM

Headers are a good choice if your looking for power. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to get them. I am pretty quick and I"m not sure if the $700 is worth it I may just invest the $700 in like a 150 shot Progresive N2O Setup. My current power mods are ... Unorthadox UDP, Intake Spacers, VIAS removal, SSIM, Berk Intake (Sometimes I run the Place racing CAI.. depends on my mood), Grounding kit (Ehh Not really performance but kinda helps), Cattman Y-Pipe, High flow cat, Greddy CatBack exhaust, and the Cattman STS. Unfourtunitly I sold my Greddy Emanage a while back when i sold all the mods of my old car so now i have no way of tuning. I'm looking to get a VAFC or a NEO but when I get a new job a it'll be the 1st thing I get. I'll probably just get my timing bumped up to 17* for now if I can find someone to do it cheap other wise I'll just wait.

The car dynod at 228.7 Before the intake spacers, VIAS removal, and SSIM so I am interested to see where it is at now.

I have been thinking about the window trim. I like it sometimes and sometimes I dont. I was thinking about doing somthing with the engine cover since I have an extra.

Last edited by 99Silvermist SE; 10-14-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've yet to see the peak numbers go up, so don't be disapointed if they are down. And a big about other mods, it is a very good mod if you have other supporting mods. And you should get the headers, it will make 150hp on juice that much easier to obtain/better results, aka a smaller n2o jet will give more gains with a freer flowing exhaust, and the manifolds are the limiting factor on that.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 99Silvermist SE
A Dremel - Used about 20-30 cut off disks, and 2 and a half grinding bits
lol, hahaha, I have every right to laugh at you for this..............

............because I've been there done that with those stupid cheasy 20-pack cutoff discs for dremels, you MUST get the reinforced ones that come in a 5-pack, they are the ****, you would have only broken two! Even better yet is if you spring for the quick-release bit than you can get the slightly larger cut-off wheels that also come in a 5-pack, they are larger AND they break even less because the flex/looseness in the quick-release mechanism works as an anti break feature also.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 AM

Lol yea it was definitly annoying. I had 4 sets of those cut off disk. Well I have like 2 left now. They are definitly worthless. A good bit would have knocked a good amount of time off.