5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Problem with Heated Seat Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 PM

Problem with Heated Seat Switch

I have a 2001 Maxima SE with heated leather seats. Towards the end of last winter my driver's side heated seat switch stopped lighting up and my butt started getting cold. I removed the switch, made sure all the wires were connected (yes they were), and came to the conclusion that the switch must be dead. Now it is getting cold again, and I was looking to see if anyone knew the Nissan part number for the heated seat switches? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:53 PM
It's business time.

Just call Dave B and he'll hook you up: 1.888.254.6060.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:20 PM
No more Maximas...

25500-50Y10, $53.37 from Courtesy.

Damn, that's expensive. I'd just as soon grab a junkyard switch, or just look through the classifieds.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:20 PM

My switch for driver side does not light up, but works. It does warm the seat when I put it on high heat. I'm not sure about the low heat.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by calllka
My switch for driver side does not light up, but works. It does warm the seat when I put it on high heat. I'm not sure about the low heat.
My seat does not get hot in either position. I'm hoping that my problems is related to the switch and not the seat's heating element. I guess I should probably swap the passenger switch with the driver switch before ordering one of these $53 switches!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by krazyd
My seat does not get hot in either position. I'm hoping that my problems is related to the switch and not the seat's heating element. I guess I should probably swap the passenger switch with the driver switch before ordering one of these $53 switches!
I'm not sure if you can swap them. I seem to remember that when I tried to do it with my I30 that the connectors where different. (unfortunately in my case the problem was the heating element in the seat had gone bad. My seat is still cold for two years now since I have no idea on how to go about fixing the element.)
Old 10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by sascuderi
I'm not sure if you can swap them. I seem to remember that when I tried to do it with my I30 that the connectors where different. (unfortunately in my case the problem was the heating element in the seat had gone bad. My seat is still cold for two years now since I have no idea on how to go about fixing the element.)
The switches do have two different part numbers, and I know on the A32 the connectors seemed different.

According to the FSM, however, both connectors and pinouts are identical, so
Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 PM

my drivers side switch quit lighting up as well but the seat still get hot and works just fine
Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by calllka
I have the same exact symptom.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:17 AM

I took the switch apart, completely apart, and there's not much to break there. There's some contacts, that I cleaned, and the little bulb. I'm assuming my bulb burnt out, as it doesn't work. Otherwise, nothing to break in that switch, so doubt getting a new one will do anything. I'll take apart the one with working bulb and swap the bulbs to see if it'll get the low heat working too.

Last edited by calllka; 11-14-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:18 PM

These driver's side heated seat switches seem to be defective...mine hasn't lit up since I got my car, but the passenger side switch lights up. It kind of bothers me, but at least the heated seat works.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:12 PM

It's very common for the light on the heated seat switches to burn out but it shouldn't effect the seat from heating up. I know on mine it didn't.

Originally Posted by pmohr
The switches do have two different part numbers, and I know on the A32 the connectors seemed different.

Believe it or not the only reason the part numbers are different is because there is an arrow on each switch that points to the seat it controls. So if you put the passenger side switch on the driver side it will still work but the arrow will point toward the passenger seat. Below is a picture of what I'm describing.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Cletus

mine works but doesnt light up...on the 02-03, the connection is different between the right and left
Old 11-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
Believe it or not the only reason the part numbers are different is because there is an arrow on each switch that points to the seat it controls. So if you put the passenger side switch on the driver side it will still work but the arrow will point toward the passenger seat. Below is a picture of what I'm describing.
those switches are upside down

Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 AM

I have a 2001 Maxima SE with heated leather seats. Towards the end of last winter my driver's side heated seat switch stopped lighting up and my butt started getting cold. I removed the switch, made sure all the wires were connected (yes they were), and came to the conclusion that the switch must be dead. Now it is getting cold again, and I was looking to see if anyone knew the Nissan part number for the heated seat switches? Thanks in advance.
Hey did you fix your seat problem ?

Today morning it was 24 and after switching on the heated switch to high the bulb went off(did not lit) and no the seat didn't got warmer at all. Also this is happening if I select the switch to low setting.
But if I turn both of them to off (Switch in middle position) both bulbs would lit.
The passenger side seems to be working fine.

Anyone could help me out here
Old 11-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How do you get to the switch?

I have an infiniti I30 '99 and have the same problem with the driver side seat not heating anymore. The light in the switch is working though.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:34 AM

Common Problem

I have a 2001 SE and the light on the driver side went out, the passenger side stills lights up and works. The driver side only works now and then. I have not tore it apart to see what is up but it seems like a common problem??
Old 11-28-2008, 05:02 AM

I had this problem a while ago, But my problem was a little different. Only the lower back panel would heat up on the passenger side. Only one of the lights worked, but 3 of the four heating elements worked.

I took it apart, there are four contacts when you take the switch apart, (a lot like taking a remot apart, plastic clips that may easily break if do it wrong) If memory serves me, there are flat copper pieces bent so that they spring downward onto the contacts. I was able to clean these with a sharp flat-head screwdriver and an eraser. then I bent down the prongs (opening the angle) and all was fixed! light and pads. years later it has turned into an issue again, so I will take it apart and try this process once more
Old 11-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Is it possible to remove these switches without removint the console ?
Old 11-28-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by StillenMax80x20
I had this problem a while ago, But my problem was a little different. Only the lower back panel would heat up on the passenger side. Only one of the lights worked, but 3 of the four heating elements worked.

I took it apart, there are four contacts when you take the switch apart, (a lot like taking a remot apart, plastic clips that may easily break if do it wrong) If memory serves me, there are flat copper pieces bent so that they spring downward onto the contacts. I was able to clean these with a sharp flat-head screwdriver and an eraser. then I bent down the prongs (opening the angle) and all was fixed! light and pads. years later it has turned into an issue again, so I will take it apart and try this process once more

Could you please take some snaps if you happen to clean it again. Thanks
Old 11-29-2008, 03:14 PM

I had the same problem few years ago and it also seemed that heating element doesn't work. Well, it was working just fine according to the current going through it so it was pure psycological thing: if my wife didn't see the light she couldn't feel the heat . I went ahead and replaced the bulb with small resistor (SMD type, 100 Ohm) and small orange LED. It's been working fine ever since.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:14 AM

My lights in the switch work but the drivers side seat is cold. I suspect the wire element in the seat is bad.

Has anyone replaced their seat element? Is it DYI???
Old 11-30-2008, 01:11 PM

I just installed the heater elements yesterday in a 97 and it wasn't too bad. I had to cut a bunch of little clips that secure the seat cover the to seat cushion (on the top of the seat where you sit down, but it wasn't too bad and I figure that I don't really need them anyways, so I didn't replace them, only the ones on the underside of the seat).

Unfortunately, my seats don't appear to be working and I don't know what's the matter. It's all detailed in my post in this thread (http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...t-install.html) if anyone is feeling nice and wants to help me out.

Thanks and good luck!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:03 PM

I sometimes have to turn my switch off and on, really quick, to get it to light up. But so far it still heats up. Hope it is not going bad!!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:03 PM

So my light comes on when i hit the switch but my *** isn't gettin hot lol. Dose that mean I have bad heating elements?
Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by KiNgJaMEs
my drivers side switch quit lighting up as well but the seat still get hot and works just fine
+1 Same no light but.. heat (hi/lo) works just fine
Originally Posted by StillenMax80x20

Sounds pretty straight foward... What kind of eraser? pencil?

Do you have to take off the entire... armrest console to get to the switches?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM

they pop out real easy, just pry up either the front or back with a standard screw driver.
Mine went out some time ago, and i just went to a junkyard and picked up about 4 of them for like $2.

P.S. the passenger side and driver side switches are actually different (other than the picture/arrow on the top). One switch is actually longer (i guess you can say "deeper") than the other and has a blue connection. Once you pull them out you will see what i'm talking about.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:12 PM

I have the same problem, my light is out but the seat heats up just fine. Not going to worry about it unless my seat starts to get cold.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 PM

i just bought my car last week and i have the same issue. my lower back seems to get hot should the seat be to? the driver side switch dosent light up but the passenger side does. my wife said hers was hot but she is retarted and couldnt tell me if it was her back or seat and back. can anyone help me out. i also have a intake question if anyone can help ne please shoot me a pm.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 AM

i ahve an 00se and the lights dont work either the seats still do i really wana fix it tho and make them blue! its a really simple switch so im assuming its just a faulty light from nissan
Old 04-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I posted a while back. You can fix the light in the switch for about 50 cents!. Radio Shack has a 12 volt mini lamp that fits perfectly. The switch pops apart and the bulb is held in by its wires, no soldering, nothing. Just open the switch, un-twist the old bulb wires and twist on the new one. It took me about 5 minutes to replace the bulb.

The light has nothing to do with the actual heating. The seats should get warm even with a light out.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr

of course they have 2 diff numbers. Look at the picture inked on them. One indicates right one left. If u use same part number then you will have both switches pointing to one side
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 AM

my driver side didnt light when purchased but did get nice and toasty...some brake cleaner on a rag and an eraser did the job. Both light and get nice 'n warm.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 AM

No, I am pretty sure that my switch is totally dead, it is not just the bulb.

The seat does not get warm even if the switch is in one of the heat position.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Just replaced the burnt bulb. I purchased the new bulb at a electronic part store for 49 cents.

Next, I will need to fix the illumination of the heater controls.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 PM

fix switch

hey, this might sound funny but when I had the same problem a I was so annoyed cause it was the summer I had invested much time in "hookin up" my ride so one could only imagine the look on my face when the switch light was'nt illuminated and the seat wouldn't heat. I bang the livin light out of the switch & guess wut my rage work for the beast after all the damn thing started working once again!!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 PM

I don't know about 01 SE, but on my 00SE, these two switches are asymmetric, passenger side plug is smaller.