5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Loud pinging and knocking coming from the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 11:19 AM

Loud pinging and knocking coming from the engine?

Has anyone had a problem with the engine pinging on their max. I have a 2k se auto with 26000 miles. The car will knock and ping under 1/2 throttle or above sometimes. I only use 93 octane fuel and I do use mobil 1 oil. The car does have a version of the oscai installed. If anyone has any suggestions please repond.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

Your car should NOT be acting that way. It's way too new. Sounds like a detontation sensor problem or an ECU program problem. It could also be one of the sensors signaling the ecu the wrong timing information(ie... crank angle sensor). I assume your car is under warranty to please take it back asap. If the knocking is as loud as you describe, you stand a good chance at ruining your engine. Please drive it very easy for now and get it fixed asap!
Old 11-13-2001, 11:31 AM
Got Bent?

a fwe people have had bad ignition coils that caused the problem. I suggest you take it to the dealer and have it looked at.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
a fwe people have had bad ignition coils that caused the problem. I suggest you take it to the dealer and have it looked at.
Hey Nauman, this reminds, me, my Knocking that I was talking to you about in Reverse, I kinda hear it now in forward. So last night I got out the car while it was knocking to find out where the hell it is coming from. Guess what, at idle rpms, the UDP seems to be shaking. I dont know if the bolt is loose on it or what. But at high rpms, the UDP seems to be balanced, like it does not shake.

I am going to have to figure this one out, might have to go to my friends shop and possibly tighten the bastard back up with a Impact wrench.

Dixit

PS, by the way, I just bought a Electrical Impact wrench, we can do the spring install on your car in a snap now. Lets be indy style and try to get it done in say............. 1.5hrs. HAHAHA
Old 11-13-2001, 12:29 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Hey Nauman, this reminds, me, my Knocking that I was talking to you about in Reverse, I kinda hear it now in forward. So last night I got out the car while it was knocking to find out where the hell it is coming from. Guess what, at idle rpms, the UDP seems to be shaking. I dont know if the bolt is loose on it or what. But at high rpms, the UDP seems to be balanced, like it does not shake.

I am going to have to figure this one out, might have to go to my friends shop and possibly tighten the bastard back up with a Impact wrench.

Dixit

PS, by the way, I just bought a Electrical Impact wrench, we can do the spring install on your car in a snap now. Lets be indy style and try to get it done in say............. 1.5hrs. HAHAHA

hmmmm.... you may also want to check the idler pulley... that may also be the culprit.

So you go the impact wrench huh... cool... once I get the car back and get the struts, we'll do it
Old 11-13-2001, 12:34 PM

Oooh tools! I'm jealous
Old 11-13-2001, 01:30 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Loud pinging and knocking coming from the engine?

Originally posted by edadams
Has anyone had a problem with the engine pinging on their max. I have a 2k se auto with 26000 miles. The car will knock and ping under 1/2 throttle or above sometimes. I only use 93 octane fuel and I do use mobil 1 oil. The car does have a version of the oscai installed. If anyone has any suggestions please repond.
Don't forget to put in the stock air assembly because you know the dealer is going to have a fit seeing it there and IMMEDIATELY state that is your problem.