5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Have you had the Fuel Cut TSB performed?
Yes, and I'd recommend it.
75.00%
No, but I recommend it.
6.25%
Yes, but I don't recommend it.
0%
No, and there's no way I'd do it.
6.25%
I've considered it, and I think....
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Fuel Cut TSB Poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 06:50 PM

Fuel Cut TSB Poll

This is for those who have had it done or are considering it.

If you've already done it, would you recommend it?

If you've considered it, why will you, or why will you not do it?

Just curious about people's opinions.

Jack
Old 11-13-2001, 09:09 PM

This is a very important subject. According to the dealer, the TSB is performed when Service Engine light is on. My car jerkes at low rpm's, but the dealer said it has nothing to do with this particular TSB.

Is there any other way to see if my car qualifies for this TSB besides test-driving it? This is my 1st 5spd Max, and its manual tranny is so different from other cars' gearboxes. I dont want someone to mess with my car when needed to.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man I dont even know what this is for......... I guess then dont need to do it.

Add to the poll another option "Dont know what the hell a Fuel TSB is"

Dixit
Old 11-14-2001, 08:02 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

ONLY for 5-speeds...

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Man I dont even know what this is for......... I guess then dont need to do it.

Add to the poll another option "Dont know what the hell a Fuel TSB is"

Dixit
\

You don't have the problem Dixit, because it only affects the 5-speeds or is at least only noticeable in 5-speeds.

I'll comment on the TSB once my JACK-OFF A$$HOLE MOTHER FU<KING PIECE OF $HIT DEALER pulls his head out of his a$$ and admits he just doesn't know what he's doing. He thinks I'll just forget about it or go somewhere else, but I'm going to harass him every Monday till he doesn't have an excuse anymore.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:12 AM

I have a 2k 5-spd... and no problems here. I haven't had the fuel cut TSB done, and it doesn't seem like I need it either. But this is my first nissan stick. so who knows.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

YES!

I purchased my 2K just over two years ago. Spent a lot of time trying to find out why the damn thing bucked and lurched like it did. Spoke to the lead mechanic at the dealership and was given a good explanation but he couldn't make it any better. I gave the service manager printouts of the postings from the N/G and this forum. He called me as soon as he saw the TSB on his monthly CD.

I had it done back in April. It's not perfect but it IS worth it. I would say it's a 90% improvement.

My only complaint is I had to wait so long! If you have the symptoms, why wouldn't you want to have it done!
Old 11-14-2001, 10:03 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: YES!

Originally posted by Dan00
I purchased my 2K just over two years ago. Spent a lot of time trying to find out why the damn thing bucked and lurched like it did. Spoke to the lead mechanic at the dealership and was given a good explanation but he couldn't make it any better. I gave the service manager printouts of the postings from the N/G and this forum. He called me as soon as he saw the TSB on his monthly CD.

I had it done back in April. It's not perfect but it IS worth it. I would say it's a 90% improvement.

My only complaint is I had to wait so long! If you have the symptoms, why wouldn't you want to have it done!
Final question to the poll, how is the gas mileage? Down, up, or the same? Did anybody that has had it done monitor this part?
Old 11-14-2001, 01:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got mine done and noticed a drastic improvement. No more rodeo ride at low speeds. Haven't noticed a difference in gas mileage at all.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:14 PM

I had the TSB done. It has made the lurching/bucking better in 1st at around 1500-1800 RPM, but the bucking will still happen at around 2000-2500 RPM in 1st when you get on and off the gas.

FYI, I have been very vocal to Nissan since I leased my MY 2000 SE 5 Speed and noticed this symptom during the first week of ownership. I have posted numerous times on the Edmunds "Maxima 5-Speed Problems" message board as well. Nissan customer service in regards to this problem has been terrible. I am an ex ASE certified mechanic, and knew that the car had a serious driveability problem. I knew they could probably reprogram the ECM and alleviate some of the problems. In order to get to Nissan to that point, I had to have the car in for service for this fuel cut problem on 5 separate occasions before the TSB was finally issued and applied. A Nissan District Technical Rep came down two times to look at my car and do the unnecessary TPS adjustment to try to fix it. At one point, Nissan then said they were refusing to try to fix my car for this problem anymore!! I am not saying I caused the TSB to be released, but my persistence as well as many others helped to finally convince Nissan to release the TSB and admit the car was not right.

Needless to say, I have enlisted the help of a third party in order to resolve the BS I have endured with this car and to seek restitutions. I am aware that many manufacturers are ruining their manual transmission cars in order to meet EPA regulations. They hold the throttle artificially open during an unloaded engine condition (i.e. clutch depressed like when upshifting) in order to decrease the escape of hydrocarbons, and this is usually done by a combination of holding open the idle air control valve and by software programming. However, this causes driveability problems like the lurching we experienced and the RPM rise when pressing the clutch to upshift.

I ask anyone who owns a MY 2002 six speed to see if the problem is still there, since Nissan has now switched to a "drive by wire" system. I wonder if this has helped or hurt. Specifically, you can see if the RPM's rise when pressing the clutch and releasing the gas quickly when upshifting. Also, at a standstill in neutral, try to hold the engine at a steady 2000 RPM and also rev it to 3000 RPM and try to bring it back down to 2000 RPM and see if the engine drops to idle before the engine reaches 2000 RPM. This occured in the MY 2000 and 2001 and was due to the fuel cut ECM logic.

In closing, I say if you experience the bucking in 1st gear then have the TSB done. If you don't notice the bucking then leave well enough alone.

Dave Z
Old 11-14-2001, 02:30 PM

davedzny

I have those symptoms, but the bucking/lurching occurs between 2000-3000rpms in ANY gear.

Do you think the TSB helps reduce this?

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2001, 04:09 PM

Re: davedzny

Originally posted by IceY2K1
I have those symptoms, but the bucking/lurching occurs between 2000-3000rpms in ANY gear.

Do you think the TSB helps reduce this?

Thanks.
It might, but I can't say for sure since I have only noticed the symptoms in 1st gear. However, others have noticed it in other gears and during different conditions such as with cruise control on and coasting downhill. There is a loss of natural engine braking as well that I notice also. There is a person who posted often on the Edmunds board and sometimes here with the screen name of "bigk200". He is an engineer, and devised a modification that helps get rid of many of the symptoms. You can try to contact him and see if that helps. I have stopped trying to fix my car now that I am in dealings with Nissan regarding the future of my car.

I suggest everyone interested in the exact cause of the fuel cut go to the following link to read "bigk200" description of the causes of the fuel cut, as he has hit the nail on the head with his explanation. Here is the link (watch for URL wrap): http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/We...22.cq16aM90mhW^1@.ee99968
Also see this thread on the org: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=32600

Dave Z
Old 11-14-2001, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Man I dont even know what this is for......... I guess then dont need to do it.Add to the poll another option "Dont know what the hell a Fuel TSB is"Dixit
Dixit, funny, dude. Do you ever attend DC/MD meets? I never heard anyone mentioning your name in our emails. I'd love to see your ride.
Old 11-15-2001, 06:24 PM

Had it done, and it was very worth while.
Unlike the bumper scratch TSB
Old 11-15-2001, 07:13 PM

Hell YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check my FIRST driving impressions of the NEW/UPDATE TSB that came out in Sept or October along with a NEW Part Number.

The TSB is NTB01-018A and the part number is 23710-4Y914(This is for 2001 California Emission Maximas with V-rated(17") tires and a Manual Transmission).

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=78987
Old 11-15-2001, 09:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Fuel Cut TSB Poll

Originally posted by jsmith24
This is for those who have had it done or are considering it.

If you've already done it, would you recommend it?

If you've considered it, why will you, or why will you not do it?

Just curious about people's opinions.

Jack
This is a must for 5sp owners. Especially if you want to drag. Without the TSB, it is virtually impossible to hold any RPM between 2-4K. If you can't do that, you can't have a consistent launch. The old TSB makes a huge improvement in that category, plus it reduced the bucking in 4th/5th during highway cruising almost completely. That was my biggest concern since I drove a ton of highway miles (18K in six months). The bucking in 1st/2nd has also been reduced by 75%.

In addition, according to ICE there has been another improvement to make things even better.