5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Heavy Steering?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2000, 10:34 AM
Wustylez

Hi, does anyone of you have this problem? My 2k Auto SE seems to me that it has heavy steering wheels compare to other cars I have. This happened after I went back to the dealer last time, they said that they tightened the steering , could this be the reason?

Or the sensitive power steering isn't working rite????
I mean i feel like i am driving a trunk or something..i have to steer hard in order to turn..but on highway speed, it seems okay...

Please Help..

Thanks

Old 11-05-2000, 03:07 PM
Wustylez

Heavy Power Steering!!!!

Unsure what to say, the power steering is speed sensitive, so at lower speeds it shouldn't really feel like its a burden, but on my Maxima and others I've had to test drive after an alignment, when you move the wheel.. the initial movement is fluid but a bit stiff, then you feel what seems to be the pump catching up and it pulls in the opposite direction.
What do you mean by Nissan "tightened" your steering ?
Alignment cause there is no adjustment, just around the Air Bag Clock spring but it has a certain lbs-ft tightening and going over it cracks your clock spring.
BTW Clock Spring = When your wheels locks and doesn't go any further, the clock spring allows the movementtil that point.
Besides that nothing else needs tightening unless they didn't tighten the collar around shaft to the steering rack.

I am not sure about what you meant by clock spring?????
My steering definitely feels heavier now compared when i first bought the car, i dont' know what the dealer did to it..they just told me that my steering is tight, don't know what they meant cuz i had them checked my steering cuz my car pulls to one side.but later they just adjusted the tire pressur.

So i am not sure what the problem is..oh besides sometimes when i turn my car at low speed, i can hear some noise coming under steering column????it sounds like when i turn something is hitting against the CV joints or steering shaft?????

Anyone has this problem??

Thanks
Tim

Old 11-05-2000, 03:10 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Unsure what to say, the power steering is speed sensitive, so at lower speeds it shouldn't really feel like its a burden, but on my Maxima and others I've had to test drive after an alignment, when you move the wheel.. the initial movement is fluid but a bit stiff, then you feel what seems to be the pump catching up and it pulls in the opposite direction.
What do you mean by Nissan "tightened" your steering ?
Alignment cause there is no adjustment, just around the Air Bag Clock spring but it has a certain lbs-ft tightening and going over it cracks your clock spring.
BTW Clock Spring = When your wheels locks and doesn't go any further, the clock spring allows the movementtil that point.
Besides that nothing else needs tightening unless they didn't tighten the collar around shaft to the steering rack.

-Peace

I am not sure about what you meant by clock spring?????
My steering definitely feels heavier now compared when i first bought the car, i dont' know what the dealer did to it..they just told me that my steering is tight, don't know what they meant cuz i had them checked my steering cuz my car pulls to one side.but later they just adjusted the tire pressur.

So i am not sure what the problem is..oh besides sometimes when i turn my car at low speed, i can hear some noise coming under steering column????it sounds like when i turn something is hitting against the CV joints or steering shaft?????

Anyone has this problem??

Thanks
Tim

Old 11-05-2000, 03:21 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Tim,

A clock spring is a device that is used under your airbag on your steering wheel to keep the wiring from wrapping around the shaft.
The symptom you describe of the car pulling could be caused by alignment problems, defective tires and/or wheels, and since the dealer addressed tire pressure, that could also have been the problem.
The steering on my car does provide feel of the road nicely, but your definition of "heavy" could be my definition of "normal."

-Peace
But compared to when i first bought the car, the car didnt' feel as heavy as now..so how about the noise that i hear when i turn my car at low speed under steering column is there something wrong that could cause heavy steering as well???i checked my steering fluid, it is over filled????

Anyway, I will let the dealer check out the noise and the heavy steering that i hear..

thanks
Tim

Old 11-05-2000, 03:38 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

the noise...

is the strut assembly, there is a TSB for that. Depending on the dealers knowledge and availiblity of a new strut assembly, it can be a simple fix.

the reason that the steering feels heavy is that I believe it is variable by RPM, not speed (as you may be used to). The guy with the SCCA nick complained about the same thing.
Old 11-05-2000, 06:23 PM
Wustylez

Re: the noise...

Originally posted by TimW
is the strut assembly, there is a TSB for that. Depending on the dealers knowledge and availiblity of a new strut assembly, it can be a simple fix.

the reason that the steering feels heavy is that I believe it is variable by RPM, not speed (as you may be used to). The guy with the SCCA nick complained about the same thing.

Really, I thought it was the struts assembly too, but when i listened closely, it didn't come from the front right strut, it came from under the steering column?????the funny thing is, it does not happen all the time, it only happen once a while, that makes me annoyed..

Also, there is I believe the transmission noise when i travel in a low speed, it's like driving a manual car and clutch is not engaging it right..the fuel is being cut???what is that noise then?