5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

need info on replacing vaccum hoses

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 11:30 AM

need info on replacing vaccum hoses

Anyone replaced all of their vaccume hoses and have a good list of sizes needed?

How critical is it to have the same size hose? Does the Inside Diameter have to be the same as stock?

Anyone have pics of the install so I don't miss any lines?
Old 11-15-2001, 11:34 AM

Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

Originally posted by theMax
Anyone replaced all of their vaccume hoses and have a good list of sizes needed?

How critical is it to have the same size hose? Does the Inside Diameter have to be the same as stock?

Don't have any specifics, but what I do know is if you don't have the right inner diameter sizes, you won't have a good vacuum and your car won't run correctly until you find that vacuum leak...found out the hard way through experience...
Old 11-15-2001, 12:09 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

Originally posted by theMax

Get the starter kit from http://www.hosetechniques.com

Yes, keep the inner diameter the same.

No install pics, but here the final result (HoseTechnique hoses and looms):

Old 11-15-2001, 12:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Did you see those guys did a model-specific kit for the '02 Altima, but still don't have one for the 5th or 5.5th gen Max? Bastardo!
Old 11-15-2001, 12:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

Originally posted by Michael98033

Did you see those guys did a model-specific kit for the '02 Altima, but still don't have one for the 5th or 5.5th gen Max? Bastardo!
OMG... I can't believe you say bastardo... I thought only Alysia and I used that fine term. I'm afraid we will need to start charging you royalties.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

Originally posted by punkdork
OMG... I can't believe you say bastardo... I thought only Alysia and I used that fine term. I'm afraid we will need to start charging you royalties.
I don't think you'd have a case. I'll take you to court on that. I'm pretty sure I've been using that term ever since seeing Hudson Hawk w/Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello which was back in '91. I'm not quite sure that I actually heard that line in the movie, but it just fits. If you can make a case for having taken ownership before then, you do that...I'll see you in court.

FYI...Hudson Hawk is a grossly underrated movie which everyone should see.

FYI II...I sent an email to Hose Techniques asking about any plans for a 3.0L or 3.5L Maxima-specific kit. I'll post anything I hear back.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:35 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

No, I haven't seen the kit for the Altima. Our cars have A LOT of vacuum hoses compared to 4th gens... I wonder if the 5.5 gens are the same.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

I don't think you'd have a case. I'll take you to court on that. I'm pretty sure I've been using that term ever since seeing Hudson Hawk w/Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello which was back in '91. I'm not quite sure that I actually heard that line in the movie, but it just fits. If you can make a case for having taken ownership before then, you do that...I'll see you in court.

FYI...Hudson Hawk is a grossly underrated movie which everyone should see.
Many many moons ago one Ms. Alysia Smith was forced to work as a telemarketer. One day she called one of her leads and asked for Mr Bastardo (Bastard-oh). He promptly identified himself as Mr. Bastardo (Bus-Tard-oh). Her next customer, "Mrs. Glasscock," never received a call that day.

As you can see we have clear ownership.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:20 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

Many many moons ago one Ms. Alysia Smith was forced to work as a telemarketer. One day she called one of her leads and asked for Mr Bastardo (Bastard-oh). He promptly identified himself as Mr. Bastardo (Bus-Tard-oh). Her next customer, "Mrs. Glasscock," never received a call that day.

Old 11-15-2001, 01:43 PM

Re: Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

Yes, keep the inner diameter the same.

No install pics, but here the final result (HoseTechnique hoses and looms):

Thanks,

Do you know what sizes are in the max? The set has 3.5, 4, 6, and 8mm. Do you use them all? I am going to but the hose by the foot locally.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:51 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hmmmmm...... I don't know what the sizes are, but I only have a couple feet left from the one with the smallest diameter.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:01 PM

Hmmmmm...... I don't know what the sizes are, but I only have a couple feet left from the one with the smallest diameter.
Hey Kev, aren't most of the hoses just slice and wrap? There aren't going to be too many direct replacements huh.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

You may have a better story, but its not clear from your email that Ms. Alysia's career as a telemarketer took place pre-1991 (the release of Hudson Hawk).

However, more critically, our pronunciations are distinctly different. Your Bus-Tard-Oh is very different from my Bah-staaaaaar-Do (pronounced in the traditional Italiano with the emphasis on the "staaaaaar"). Maybe there is no cause for alarm after all.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

You may have a better story, but its not clear from your email that Ms. Alysia's career as a telemarketer took place pre-1991 (the release of Hudson Hawk).

However, more critically, our pronunciations are distinctly different. Your Bus-Tard-Oh is very different from my Bah-staaaaaar-Do (pronounced in the traditional Italiano with the emphasis on the "staaaaaar"). Maybe there is no cause for alarm after all.
Au Contraire... While Mr. Bastardo uses the bus-tard pronunciation method, my fiance and myself have adopted the more entertaining and correct Bastard-oh pronunciation. Oh and Ms. Smith was doing telemarking in the early 1800's so we clearly have ownership.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:22 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity

Hey Kev, aren't most of the hoses just slice and wrap? There aren't going to be too many direct replacements huh.
Nope, slice/wrap is only done on the throttle and cruise control cables.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

Au Contraire... While Mr. Bastardo uses the bus-tard pronunciation method, my fiance and myself have adopted the more entertaining and correct Bastard-oh pronunciation. Oh and Ms. Smith was doing telemarking in the early 1800's so we clearly have ownership.
I criminali non hanno diritti, bastardo.

Ms. Smith is a cradle robber and deserves no such ownership. Plus, the copyright laws governing ownership of phrases such as "bastardo" were not in place in the early 1800's and therefore you have no valid claim.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: need info on replacing vaccum hoses

I criminali non hanno diritti, bastardo.

Ms. Smith is a cradle robber and deserves no such ownership. Plus, the copyright laws governing ownership of phrases such as "bastardo" were not in place in the early 1800's and therefore you have no valid claim.
Curses... foiled again!!!
Old 11-15-2001, 03:37 PM

Actually on topic here...

The Hose Tecniques guy replied that he was planning on releasing both a 3.0L and 3.5L model-specific kit for the 5th gen Maxima "hopefully" in December.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:38 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Actually on topic here...

The Hose Tecniques guy replied that he was planning on releasing both a 3.0L and 3.5L model-specific kit for the 5th gen Maxima "hopefully" in December.
Perfect! You guys should wait until then.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:42 PM

Re: Re: Actually on topic here...

Perfect! You guys should wait until then.
Maybe he'll make one in blue...I like blue.