5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Should I replace my automatic for the manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2000, 08:47 PM
zzNAMJAzz

Right now I have a 2000 maxima SE with automatic transmission, however people keep telling me that the manual is much faster in acceleration and alot more can be done to it. So should I switch my automatic for a manual?

Old 11-05-2000, 08:51 PM

switch it??? meaning have your auto tranny pulled and replaced with a manual or trading it in for a new Max with a manual? either way it's gonna cost you alot of $$.
Old 11-05-2000, 09:03 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Get the VB recal and a high stall torque converter...

VB can make your car shift fast and the tc can let you launch better. Those two will improve your 1/4 time by quite a bit.
Old 11-06-2000, 05:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Unless you plan on putting on a supercharger, there isn't a lot more that can be done to the 5spd than the auto that will enhance performance. It's just that the changes to a 5spd will have a slightly greater result since there is less drivetrain power loss in the 5spd.

I would say enjoy your auto. It'll cost you a bundle to trade the auto and get a 5spd most likely. AND . . . if you didn't consider performance when you were buying your auto - it is probably not important enough to you to make the change (i.e. you never really considered the 5spd for other reasons).

The autos are great cars - just different.
Old 11-06-2000, 09:11 AM

whatever

depends on you.

manual: less power lost to tranny, more gears to choose from (keep it in the power band easier), better for downshifting and enginebraking, more fun to drive (imo), & provides you with somewhere else to put your right hand.

Auto: easier to drive in traffic, easier to drive when doing $hit like putting on lipstick or yapping away on the phone, shifts smoother than manual - so you wont spill your spritzer or gett your panties wedged up your *** when taking off.

no offence to you auto guys

it's just that if i bought a limo, a minivan, or a bus i'd probably get an automatic. anything else = manual
Old 11-06-2000, 09:39 AM

the 5spd is a little faster then the Hoto. And if U get a S/C U R taking a chance on the 5spd tranny and might cause something to break. Auto doesn't have that problem.. U can kinda drive a Auto hard but not too hard.. there are goods and bads in both Trannyzz. I like 5spd, Just a pain in the *** to talk on the phone and change gears, or eat a burger and change gears if U know what i mean. if I had to pick again, I'ld still get a 5spd. A true Driver Drives a STICK.
Old 11-06-2000, 09:43 AM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by PIONEER
the 5spd is a little faster then the Hoto. And if U get a S/C U R taking a chance on the 5spd tranny and might cause something to break. Auto doesn't have that problem.. U can kinda drive a Auto hard but not too hard.. there are goods and bads in both Trannyzz. I like 5spd, Just a pain in the *** to talk on the phone and change gears, or eat a burger and change gears if U know what i mean. if I had to pick again, I'ld still get a 5spd. A true Driver Drives a STICK.
I think you have that backwards bro...
the AUTO tranny is the one with problems when supercharged..
isnt that why Stillen WILL NOT even sell one to you if your Maxima is auto.

Old 11-06-2000, 09:50 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

4DSC... Just noticed that your car in your sig was WAY off the ground. Better hurry up and lower your car. Not a flame BTW... just got a flashback on how my car looked.
Old 11-06-2000, 11:07 AM

The auto would have less breaking problems then the 5spd. Its easy to break the 5spd when there is too much power, just droping the clutch at Hight RPM would cause clutch/drivetrain damange. its like putting a auto in nutral and rev up and throw it in drive, its only gonna do that so meny times B4 something goes wrong. check out on the forum, don't know who it was but someone has a pic of a maxima with S/C 5spd doing a burnout and striped 1st gear. thats less likely to happin on a auto. don't wanna start any fights but based on what I've seen and what I've heard, the 5spd is faster but U R gonna pay for that speed eventually. Stillen may not sell the S/C to auto Max owners but thats not the point, Just installing a S/C is taking a risk, installing a Y-pipe is taking a risk, installing a Intake is taking a risk, U R forceing more air into the engine and things are likely to break when U pass that limit of not enough to too much. Its proven that after some point in modding the transmission becomes the weak link, why don't U think honda sells the new accord V6 with 5spds? b/c of reliability issues, so they make auto, Why do U think toyota S/C only make a little HP gain, b/c if they did more it would cause something to break, like I said don't wanna start anything just stateing facts.
Old 11-06-2000, 12:02 PM
The missing moderator

Nah, you have it backwards.

Stillen warns to not use a Y-pipe with the SC on an auto.. there's a reason for that... the automagic will break.

-Shing

The auto would have less breaking problems then the 5spd. Its easy to break the 5spd when there is too much power, just droping the clutch at Hight RPM would cause clutch/drivetrain damange. its like putting a auto in nutral and rev up and throw it in drive, its only gonna do that so meny times B4 something goes wrong. check out on the forum, don't know who it was but someone has a pic of a maxima with S/C 5spd doing a burnout and striped 1st gear. thats less likely to happin on a auto. don't wanna start any fights but based on what I've seen and what I've heard, the 5spd is faster but U R gonna pay for that speed eventually. Stillen may not sell the S/C to auto Max owners but thats not the point, Just installing a S/C is taking a risk, installing a Y-pipe is taking a risk, installing a Intake is taking a risk, U R forceing more air into the engine and things are likely to break when U pass that limit of not enough to too much. Its proven that after some point in modding the transmission becomes the weak link, why don't U think honda sells the new accord V6 with 5spds? b/c of reliability issues, so they make auto, Why do U think toyota S/C only make a little HP gain, b/c if they did more it would cause something to break, like I said don't wanna start anything just stateing facts.
Old 11-06-2000, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Shingles

Stillen warns to not use a Y-pipe with the SC on an auto.. there's a reason for that... the automagic will break.

-Shing
True but Stillen also warns not to use JimWolfs ECU with S/C on 95Max, the bottom line is at any high rate of power the Tranny is the weak link

Old 11-06-2000, 12:23 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think you are talking about two very different things here.

1) Reason why the JWT chip is not recommended w/ the SC is not tranny reasons but the way the ecu is recalibrated. ignition/fuel mapping for a sc is alot different than ignition/fuel mapping for the na designed jwt chip option. But Stillen does recommend not adding a Y to the auto sc'd max becuase it overwhelms the friction bands

2) I've see alot more auto problems posted than manual tranny problems.

Originally posted by Shingles

-Shing
True but Stillen also warns not to use JimWolfs ECU with S/C on 95Max, the bottom line is at any high rate of power the Tranny is the weak link

[Edited by Jeff92se on 11-06-2000 at 02:29 PM]
Old 11-06-2000, 12:26 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Jeff92se
2) I've see alot more auto problems posted than auto problems.
Of course you should Jeff.
Old 11-06-2000, 12:30 PM

OOO oooo Looks like the boys are after me now, I know the JWT has nothing to do with the tranny, I'm just saying its a weak link, DON IN TEXAS.. WHERE U R MAN, Come save my butt he'll be the first to tell U about the S/C Max and Juiced Max and the Manual Tranny a weak link. I don't have either on my car. but I can see where It would be a issue, as far as stock max with not to meny mods, the 5spd is better then auto and besides the clutch going bad it'll prolly outlast the auto in the long run. just saying when U are serious about modding the car the Tranny would be a weak link manual or auto.