5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

worst luck with wheels/tires/life

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:36 AM

worst luck with wheels/tires/life

So i buy these great looking motegi 18's with toyo proxes on them for my 2k GLE. I put em in and they look awesome w/ the Sherwood Green paint and window tints i install the following day. Alongside that, i install HID heads and fogs. SO my car looks like a stealth jet fighter for 2 days. Last friday, i head upstate w/ some friends to relax at a cabin one of them has and i noticed that my front right tire is getting dangerously low on air. Immeadetly i think, oh no, i have a nail in my tire! take it to the nearest shop and the dude tells me, you dont have a flat tire, u have a cracked rim. YES! cracked rim, what i always wanted! Since im in the middle of nowhere, the dude dont do aluminum welding and tell me that the best he can do for me is throw on my donut, so off the bat im pissed, and to make matters worse, he puts on the donut and lowers the car and a loud hissing sound emits from the donut, which has a leak as well -_-. he cranks it up and fixes it and i drive like that until i get back to civilization.

I searched all week to find a dude who can weld the invisible crack inside my rim and finally, friday I find one. I have him weld it and off i go again, lookin real nice for a day. Saturday morning, on my way to drop off my sister to work, a pothole the size of a crater that has its own shadow is hiding under a piece of newspaper. My right front tire, which was the same one that was welded the morning before makes contact with the massive asteroid crater and POP goes the toyo proxes along with a MASSIVE bend in my motegi. GREAT! ANOTHER FLAT! I pop the s.o.b. onto the flimsy jack that nissan courteously supplies free of charge when you purchase your maxima. I prop on the donut and lower her down. I drive like that for a while until sunday night. After dinner with my staff from my job, im the only one with a sedan so i am gratefully assigned w/ the duty to take the non-driving employees home! and guess what happens when I get to my car!? I HAVE A FLAT REAR RIGHT TIRE!!! YES!!!!!! I drive to the closest gas station to fill er up until morning and take it to a mechanic. As i fill her up, i hear a wierd bubbling sound then BOOOOOM right in my face as the proxes exploded in my face and chest sendning me 3 feet back. I was shellshocked for a few minutes and my friend picks me up from the floor.

I call one of my buddys for assistance on bringing my old stock 5-spoke nissan rims from home back to the gas station to put on. I succeed and run home to put on the other old stock rims back on. Now a bigger headache, my front right still has the donut on, and I am trying to pry it off but apperently one of the studs has been worn down and I guess the thread has been stripped and I can't take it off. So by now i am so angry, i just want to stop driving in general. 3 of the stock rims are on, and my front right has a donut because i gave up on trying to take it off.

It's 4:17 this morning, on my way to work for another glorious day at Planet Fitness. I see theres a checkpoint ahead, i slow down AND BANG! a massive pothole that i could not see because of the wet tarmac and reflection of police sirens up ahead bangs my donuts tire off center and flattens it. I am only about half a mile away from work so i rode on it until i got here and now I'm here working waiting to get off to figure out my next move.

One thing is for certain, I am never ever again in my entire lifetime buying rims for a car again. Stock all the way. o and as for donuts? I'll just buy an extra stock rim from the dealer so next time this won't happen.

Sorry about the long story, but I had to vent somehow!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

THAT is some bad luck.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:22 AM
It's business time.

That absolutely sucks. Sorry, man.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn and I thought I had bad luck...I had 3 flat tires at once about a month ago but they were all attributed to nails so I repaired them all. Now I have 3 flat tires in my BMW for the same reason...I don't know where I find these groves of nails, but it needs to stop!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:07 AM

Wow.....that sucks. Hopefully you get a little better luck with whatever route you take from here on out.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:58 AM

wow, amazing sequence of horrible luck!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:03 AM

Lol wow yeah here in Bmore pothole dodging is a local pastime the road are terrible!! On my old car I had to replace 3 tires and bent a rim, my girl is in the shop once of month for running over nails! Haven't had any problems with the max though for now
Old 04-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Yah that stuff always happens to me iv had tire problems with my stocks, I got my seasonal summers on now and have my fingers crossed, my everyday problem is I sware im a rock magnet on the highway I get hit with so many I sware I get hit with all of them, Everytime I wash my car I find a new half inch paint chip.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM

wow that really sucks, sorry about your luck
Old 04-21-2009, 12:27 PM

i feel ya man...aftermarket wheels look great and induce smiles but what a HUGE PITA!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Wow that sucks.. Well it made me laugh how you wrote it all out, but this is no laughing matter!

Got pics of the rims?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM

holy crap i feel your pain man!...on the bright side this series of unfortunate events made for a really funny story
If the donut is still inflatable you can use fix-a-flat to get you to the nearest workshop..
good luck!
Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
THAT is some bad luck.

ive been running aftermarket rims and wheels for 15+ years on numerous cars and never had a problem. the lowest profile i ran was a 40 series tire. sorry bout your bad luck, that does suck
Old 04-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Get some runflats... and put a racing jack in your car now to make it easier for you. lol
Old 04-21-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigOgre
Wow that sucks.. Well it made me laugh how you wrote it all out, but this is no laughing matter!

Got pics of the rims?
i was actually going to take picures today. i was able to take off that damn donut w/ my friends breaker bar but broke the stud in the process :-\. any suggestions on how to fix the broken stud?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 PM

You keep hitting those potholes...who knows if all your rims have damage.

I used to have bad luck with getting flats every month or so and on different wheels. And I never had a spare, couldn't find a donut and a regular-sized wheel couldn't fit in the recession in the trunk. So when I used to get a flat, I'd buy a used tire for like $30. That was when I had money to blow. I then caught onto those fix-a-flat products; they work damn good as long as you don't have a major hole. I stocked up on those and they really got me out of a lot of bad situations. I could run on them for up to a whole week, maybe even longer.

But man I'm glad I don't have that car anymore! It was something every week with that car! Blown head gaskets, bad water pump, alternator, struts, battery, etc.........
Old 04-25-2009, 03:16 PM

dude that sux.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow what an eventful week you had. That sucks man. My aftermarkt rims are coming in a few day with new tires and i hope i dont have that bad of luck but i live in Arizona so theres not to many potholes thankfully.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 AM

If the maxima gods were trying to screw you as hard as they could, they succeeded. lol sorry to hear about that man
Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35

ive been running aftermarket rims and wheels for 15+ years on numerous cars and never had a problem. the lowest profile i ran was a 40 series tire. sorry bout your bad luck, that does suck
ditto....had aftermarket rims on 2/4 of my cars......no problem....seems like you hit a streak of some shi##y luck....did you ever get the doughnut off yet?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35

Largest rims i had on a car was 22's with a 35 series tire and never had a flat or cracked rim. Gotta pay close attention to the roads for potholes. I still dodge poteholes even with the stock rims.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by nystateofmind308
i was actually going to take picures today. i was able to take off that damn donut w/ my friends breaker bar but broke the stud in the process :-\. any suggestions on how to fix the broken stud?
You don't mention it, but I'm assuming those rims you've got were not brand new, but used. If that's the case, unless you have some kind of warranty, when you buy used items you take a risk and you might end up with a long lasting product or not; you just got the unwanted end of the deal. Thank your lucky stars that the wheel did not completely come apart while at highway speeds and flew off the axle.
In case you haven't done so, the broken stud just has to be replaced. In order to do that you wil have to take the brake caliper assembly and rotor off. Knock the damaged stud out of the hub plate and pull a new one in. Once in, thread a regular wheel nut (not the acorn type) with the flat surface facing in. Tighten the nut until the head of the stud has completely come in contact with the back side of the hub plate. Remove the nut and replace the rotor and brake caliper assembly (following the torque specs) and you're done.

Last edited by Nelsito65; 04-25-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:39 PM

You sir, need a drink or 12.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:13 PM

damnnnnn i guess motegis werent meant to be bro....
Old 04-25-2010, 05:15 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I feel your pain. I hit a driveshaft that was laying across I-30 in Arkansas at 1 am and blew a hole in the wheel itself. Didn't get into Little Rock (after changing the tire at a rest stop) until 3 am and the only hotel in the area wanted $120 for the night. I was only going to be there until when the dealer opened at 7 am. Ended up sleeping (sort of) in my car on the road next to the dealer. Took them 4 hours to find a used wheel (they claimed a new one was $1100-yeah, like I'm paying that for one wheel) and get me back on the road.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjMUfIKktWU

I'm sorry, I had to
Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 PM

I am lucky enough to have not had a tire blow up in my face, but i just recently put some new tires on the max(only to find out that the rims are bent out of shape, although not obvious when just looking at them). The shop I went to put them on a road force machine, and proceeded to show me how the wheels kind of wobble a tiny bit at high speeds. I can't afford new rims, since I had just bought the damn tires, so I just told them to do what they can with wheel weights, and have been driving ever since. Funny thing is I never noticed it before with my old tires. It makes my car a little more challenging to drive but not dangerously so.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Banned

wow that sucks @$$, i actually had a few encounters myself, especially w/ my new wheel setup 19's w/ stretched tire i hit a few potholes & after i hit them i scream to myself "f^&* well theres a flat" but fortunately i havnt had a flat yet w/ my 19's so im fortunate but now that i talk about it watch me get one tomorrow
Old 04-26-2010, 10:09 AM

sorry to hear about your nightmare.
on a side note imagine getting pulled over for doging a pot hole.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Unfortunate, sure. Well written, too.

Weird to have 12 people reply to a one year old thread as if it happened yesterday. Well, 13 if you include me, but then again, I actually saw the date. I should get a prize!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Unfortunate, sure. Well written, too.

Weird to have 12 people reply to a one year old thread as if it happened yesterday. Well, 13 if you include me, but then again, I actually saw the date. I should get a prize!
... I'm guilty as charged!!! I didn't even realize a noob was getting his 15 posts.....I guess having a somewhat current month and day on those posts tricked me; didn't even pay attention to the year.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 AM

I dont know if you guys noticed but the newb resurrected an old thread... this back luck story is a year old
Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
I dont know if you guys noticed but the newb resurrected an old thread... this back luck story is a year old
I don't know if you noticed, but that's exactly Rochester's point above....
Old 04-26-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
... I'm guilty as charged!!! I didn't even realize a noob was getting his 15 posts.....I guess having a somewhat current month and day on those posts tricked me; didn't even pay attention to the year.
I am also guilty of just looking at the month and day, not the year. I also focused more on the many recent reply's which threw me off.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:30 AM

I should get a prize!
You are a prize.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:39 AM

I don't know if you noticed, but that's exactly Rochester's point above....
Nope I didnt notice that. But the way you italicized his name helped me to understand
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
Nope I didnt notice that. But the way you italicized his name helped me to understand
That's funny, because in real life I lean to the left.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:13 PM

That's funny, because in real life I lean to the left.
... I should've known better ....most artists tend to do that.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 PM

... I should've known better ....most artists tend to do that.
That's kind of an interesting comment, since I'm a Software Consultant. If there's any artistry involved in my career, it's more of a problem solving nature than anything traditionally artsy. (And maybe why I noticed the thread date. Hmmm.)

But you know... I'm going to take that as a compliment. Thanks, Nelsito65!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:38 PM

That's kind of an interesting comment, since I'm a Software Consultant. If there's any artistry involved in my career, it's more of a problem solving nature than anything traditionally artsy. (And maybe why I noticed the thread date. Hmmm.)

But you know... I'm going to take that as a compliment. Thanks, Nelsito65!
Glad you took it the intended way; It is a compliment (here I go italicing again....). I'm an architect myself but I get involved with graphic arts along that line and I've seen some of your work. (isn't the org's banner your work too?).
I laughed at myself for not noticing the date this time around; I usuaslly do before posting a comment.

Last edited by Nelsito65; 04-26-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: worst luck with wheels/tires/life