5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Claybar..... What does it really do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 08:02 PM
Molpus

Claybar..... What does it really do?

Can someone tell me what a claybar does? Would it help on new 2K1 MAX with bugs and stuff on front bumper?

Old 11-23-2001, 09:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Claybar..... What does it really do?

Originally posted by Molpus
Can someone tell me what a claybar does? Would it help on new 2K1 MAX with bugs and stuff on front bumper?

no, don't use the claybar for bugs. it's a waste of the claybar. It's for more deep-cleaning of the vehicle's paint surface -- it removes contaminants and little bits of things that get into the paint surface that are hard to remove otherwise. works pretty good, smooths the paint right out
Old 11-23-2001, 09:40 PM

our paint has pores in it just like our skin, the claybar just gets in those pores kinda like a deep clean
Old 11-23-2001, 10:16 PM
Molpus

Originally posted by Dario
our paint has pores in it just like our skin, the claybar just gets in those pores kinda like a deep clean
What major retailer can you pick one up at and what do they usually cost?

Old 11-24-2001, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by Molpus

What major retailer can you pick one up at and what do they usually cost?
Well, I used the claybar on my 2K and I loved the results. I had a problem with my bumper. I guess during shipping it got loaded with rail dust. No matter how much I cleaned it it would not come off. So, After using the claybay, it came right nout, no sweat, and looks like I just painted it. Also, about a year ago I had my car professionally detailed and somebody sprayed something Im sure they shouldnt have on my rear window and it wouldnt come off, not even with citrus stuff. The claybar took it right off.

There are all different kinds. You can find the mothers at PepBoys or even WalMart, but Id suggest going with either the Zaino or what I use, the Polyclay. Its made by Pinnacle and you can get it at www.properautocare.com . Youll love it. It come with 3 bars, a microfiber towel and a big bottle of lube for the clay.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:10 AM

It is great when used in conjunction with a total care cleaning. Wash, Claybar, precleaner, wax, and final detail. I love www.pinnaclewax.com or www.zainobros.com and both offer claybar with many superior cleaners.

Pinnacle = DEPTH OF PAINT
Zaino= FINISH CLARITY
Old 11-25-2001, 09:43 PM

Re: Claybar..... What does it really do?

Be advised though, a Claybar actually "sands" off the contaminants! If you use it enough, it will eventually remove all of the clearcoat down to the basecoast. It is like dermabrasion...only your car can't grow a new layer of skin.

ADMAN
Old 11-25-2001, 11:18 PM

Re: Re: Claybar..... What does it really do?

Originally posted by adman
Be advised though, a Claybar actually "sands" off the contaminants! If you use it enough, it will eventually remove all of the clearcoat down to the basecoast. It is like dermabrasion...only your car can't grow a new layer of skin.

ADMAN
where u hear this?
Old 11-26-2001, 04:09 AM

How do you use clay on the car? I'm having a hard time visualizing dragging a block of clay across the hood without leaving a trail.

Do you use water as a lubricant?

I'd like to give this a try, as I also have that "rail dust" syndrom on my white bumpers.
Old 11-26-2001, 04:39 AM

Is it recommended to Wax your car after u apply claybar?

GC
Originally posted by 2maxgarage
How do you use clay on the car? I'm having a hard time visualizing dragging a block of clay across the hood without leaving a trail.

I'd like to give this a try, as I also have that "rail dust" syndrom on my white bumpers.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:22 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Cisco
Is it recommended to Wax your car after u apply claybar?

GC
yes
Old 11-26-2001, 07:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Meguiar's clay bar comes with a bottle of Quik Detailer spray that you spray, then rub the bar over the wet area. Works pretty well. Smells good too.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Claybar..... What does it really do?

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
where u hear this?
What do you think a Claybar is? It is a bar of clay!
It is made up of tiny pieces of dirt and works like ultrafine sandpaper.
The lubricant allows the bar to float on top of your paint so you only
"sand" off the contaminants sticking to the paint itself.

[------] <- Claybar
^^^ ^^ ^ <- Contaminants
======== <- Paint

ADMAN
Old 11-26-2001, 11:24 AM

I will just add my endorsement of the clay bar technology as well. This stuff WORKS. I used the Mother's clay bar on my '99 Maxima and it made the paint as smooth as a baby's ****. You must remember to wash the car thoroughly first, then use the clay bar + lubricant, then polish, then wax. You can skip the polish step if your paint si already in good condition.

It gave my black car a mirror-like finish.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:34 AM

I will just add my endorsement of the clay bar technology as well. This stuff WORKS. I used the Mother's clay bar on my '99 Maxima and it made the paint as smooth as a baby's ****. You must remember to wash the car thoroughly first, then use the clay bar + lubricant, then polish, then wax. You can skip the polish step if your paint si already in good condition.

It gave my black car a mirror-like finish.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:42 PM

Ive only used the Pinnacle Polyclay, but im sure the process is the same. It wil come with or instruct you to purchase a spray bottle of clay lubricant that you spritz onto the car. Then you "firmly" run the claybay up and down the cars surface. It really works, believe me. Its hard enough keeping a black car clean and this helps.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:17 PM
OG and counting...

Clay bar: Used to remove bonded contaminants in the paint (e.g. rail dust, industrial fallout, overspray).

Use: Some clay bars come with a quick detailer (e.g. Meguiar's, Mothers, Pinnacle), others require using good ole' soap and water as a lubricant (e.g. Zaino). Spray a 2' by 2' area and rub the clay in the area until it becomes slick. After that, wipe the area dry with a clean terrycloth or microfiber towel.

Where to buy:
www.properautocare.com
www.pinnaclewax.com
www.autodetail.com
www.tacscar.com
www.zainobros.com

Retail:
Pep Boys
Autozone
Super Trak (Since they are going out of business, you might get a good deal on one.)

Do you wax/polish afterward?:
Yes. The wax adds a level of protection to your handiwork. But if your car has swirl marks, I would advise using a swirl mark remover (e.g. 3M, Meguiar's Swirl Mark Remover 2.0) or something a little stronger (e.g. 3M Finesse It II) if the swirls are severe. After that step, then apply the polish and wax of your choice.

The vehicle shown here (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1) is my '94 after the following:

a) Washing with Dawn
b) Claying with Mothers Clay Bar
c) Applying 3M Finesse It to remove some hazing from sanding
d) Applying 3M Swirl Mark Remover
e) Applying Klasse All In One twice
f) Applying Klasse Sealant Glaze once
g) 5 hours of labor