5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why does people Like to rear end Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 07:00 PM

Why does people Like to rear end Maxima?

Seems that I keep seeing 5th Gens getting rear ended and last night I suffered the same fate... To make matters worse, the guy who hit me ran off and luckily I got his license plate number. Do you guys know any where in Houston I have get a bumper replaced at low cost? The reason is that my deductible is 1000 bucks and to make matters worse, I do not know when will the investigation be over or if the driver have insyurance at all. Personallly I do no think that the damages would fetch such a high price.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:04 PM

Re: Why does people Like to rear end Maxima?

Originally posted by csyeo
Seems that I keep seeing 5th Gens getting rear ended and last night I suffered the same fate... To make matters worse, the guy who hit me ran off and luckily I got his license plate number. Do you guys know any where in Houston I have get a bumper replaced at low cost? The reason is that my deductible is 1000 bucks and to make matters worse, I do not know when will the investigation be over or if the driver have insyurance at all. Personallly I do no think that the damages would fetch such a high price.
Damn that sucks...
Good brakes?
Old 11-25-2001, 07:04 PM

The dealer usually gives the same price as most auto shops so you can always check there. Otherwise you might want to try Cunningham Auto Repair Service. They did a good job when my Altima got rear ended.

Here is a link with a phone number for them.

http://www.gswhcc.org/MapAds/cunningham.jpg

Jeff
Old 11-25-2001, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by jefferdy1
The dealer usually gives the same price as most auto shops so you can always check there. Otherwise you might want to try Cunningham Auto Repair Service. They did a good job when my Altima got rear ended.

Here is a link with a phone number for them.

http://www.gswhcc.org/MapAds/cunningham.jpg

Jeff
Thanks Jeff...
Guess what.... I stay real close to that auto chop... I think I will try for that place.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got rear-ended 3 days after I got my '01 Max But everything is fine now. It cost $515 to fix it at a local body shop. That included the bumper, and sterefoam piece behind the bumper cover, and paint job. Looks like new now..
Old 11-25-2001, 09:19 PM

Seems that I keep seeing 5th Gens getting rear ended and last night I suffered the same fate... :
Sorry to hear that . A week ago some guy in the old Ford truck was coming from behind at the time I stopped at red light. I just heard his tires screaching, looked in the rear mirror and moved 1 meter ahead - I think, I saved my a$$ from the same trouble. It made me wondering too since I'd just read here similar story an evening before .

Mike.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:50 PM

<RANT>People get rear ended because people follow TOO close. I don't know how many times I've heard "I ran into them because they stopped too fast." BS... you were following too close if you couldn't stop in time.</RANT>
Old 11-25-2001, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by punkdork
<RANT>People get rear ended because people follow TOO close. I don't know how many times I've heard "I ran into them because they stopped too fast." BS... you were following too close if you couldn't stop in time.</RANT>
I strongly Agree.... In Europe, if you hit someone from the back, it is always your fault... cos it is the law. How I wish they have this law in US....
Old 11-25-2001, 11:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dude, this didn't happen like 2 or 3 days ago did it? I saw a 5th Gen Maxima on the access road over by 59 and William Trace when I was in Sugarland this past week. The rear center was crushed bad, I didn't see anyone around that might have caused the accident though because I was looking for the other car that might have done that. Was this you? I'm sorry about your car if it was, we had just finished test driving a 2k2 6-speed when we saw it. I was in the lowered black 4th gen with HIDs.
Old 11-25-2001, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Ants97SE
Dude, this didn't happen like 2 or 3 days ago did it? I saw a 5th Gen Maxima on the access road over by 59 and William Trace when I was in Sugarland this past week. The rear center was crushed bad, I didn't see anyone around that might have caused the accident though because I was looking for the other car that might have done that. Was this you? I'm sorry about your car if it was, we had just finished test driving a 2k2 6-speed when we saw it. I was in the lowered black 4th gen with HIDs.
i thought he said last night?
Old 11-25-2001, 11:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The accident I saw was on either Friday or Saturday, can't really remember, whole weekend was a blur. It was at night though.
Old 11-25-2001, 11:27 PM

I strongly Agree.... In Europe, if you hit someone from the back, it is always your fault... cos it is the law. How I wish they have this law in US....
i thought that's how it worked here too...
Old 11-26-2001, 03:50 AM
Got Bent?

sorry to hear it man Just got my car back after being rear ended also. OEM rear bumper is like $300....
Old 11-26-2001, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
sorry to hear it man Just got my car back after being rear ended also. OEM rear bumper is like $300....
Man I sure pray that the A$$ who hit me have an insurance and the police would track him down soon.... otherwise I have to cough it out from my own pocket..... Usually it is not only the bumper that gets damage right? from outward appearance it looks as though my bumper is damaged... But i dun know the inside though
Old 11-26-2001, 10:37 AM
Got Bent?

Man I sure pray that the A$$ who hit me have an insurance and the police would track him down soon.... otherwise I have to cough it out from my own pocket..... Usually it is not only the bumper that gets damage right? from outward appearance it looks as though my bumper is damaged... But i dun know the inside though
your state does not have uninsured motorist coverage? We do here... Until they pull the bumper off and check, no one can really say how much work needs to be done...
Old 11-26-2001, 10:53 AM

Texas does have uninsured motorists protection but you still have a deductible along with asking for that coverage. It is not a given with full coverage.

Jeff
Old 11-26-2001, 01:46 PM

I see two reasons for the Max's reputation of rear-end accidents.

1. A lot of people think the 5th Gen tail is ugly. So why not just plow into it?

2. They're probably tired of watching the Max tail get smaller and smaller as it pulls away, farther and farther.

My money's on #2.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by SVRider
I see two reasons for the Max's reputation of rear-end accidents.

1. A lot of people think the 5th Gen tail is ugly. So why not just plow into it?

2. They're probably tired of watching the Max tail get smaller and smaller as it pulls away, farther and farther.

My money's on #2.
u forgot the #3 - they love to kiss our a*s
Old 11-26-2001, 09:44 PM

There is a shop a few blocks off beltway south of 290 and north of 10 ... I think it is West End or West Side or something like that. They did good work on my 98 GSR rt front after a moron decided that it was OK to turn from the left center lane to go north on 59 from 1960.

Good luck with it man.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:44 PM

A lot of states do have that law. I think in New Orleans, you're at fault if you hit someone from behind no matter what.

In Cali, if you hit someone from behind, you're automatically at fault pretty much 100% unless the person in front of you stopped short for no reason. So if you hit someone who slams on his brakes because he stopped to avoid hitting a pedestrian, you're screwed. But if the guy just slammed on his brakes for no reason, both drivers will likely get assigned partial fault.

But that's screwed that you have to pay the deductible. I thought that's what the uninsured motorists rider was for.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by xydavid

A lot of states do have that law. I think in New Orleans, you're at fault if you hit someone from behind no matter what.

In Cali, if you hit someone from behind, you're automatically at fault pretty much 100% unless the person in front of you stopped short for no reason. So if you hit someone who slams on his brakes because he stopped to avoid hitting a pedestrian, you're screwed. But if the guy just slammed on his brakes for no reason, both drivers will likely get assigned partial fault.

But that's screwed that you have to pay the deductible. I thought that's what the uninsured motorists rider was for.
The biggest problem is that even if I will get my deductible refunded, I still need to come out with the money first while my insurance company "process" my claim... and since my deductible is 1 grand, I am still screwed no matter what