5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TRADE IN VALUE

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 AM
keep it metal

TRADE IN VALUE

All right guys, figured I'd post up to get your thoughts and feedback. There's a dealership close by that has had some pretty bad *** rides sitting out on their lot the past few weeks, some of the sweeter being a silver on black 2005 G35. Anyway, I decided to stop on in and crunch some numbers for the hell of it.

Long story short, they said they could give $5000 on a trade in for my 2002 Maxima SE. I thought this was a severe lowball. My car is super clean with 75K on the clock and a ton of mods. Although custom modifications can decrease the value of a car, as well as normal depreciation, KBB trade in value for 'fair' condition is nearly $5500. Also, I don't know how I'd feel if my car were sold to just 'anyone.'

Just wanted to get your opinions on whether or not maybe some of you have received offers like this, or is this maybe just the sad truth when it involves trading in our babies! Please leave your thoughts, and hopefully I won't be the only one to feel like I would be getting screwed. Thanks in advance!

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=
Old 07-05-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by dutch078
Long story short, they said they could give $5000 on a trade in for my 2002 Maxima SE. I thought this was a severe lowball. My car is super clean with 75K on the clock and a ton of mods. Although custom modifications can decrease the value of a car, as well as normal depreciation, KBB trade in value for 'fair' condition is nearly $5500.
That's a low-ball value on the car, but about all you're going to get out of a trade. With push-back, you might get $6000+, but big deal, right? Granted, the car will be on some lot right away for over $8k, but that shouldn't matter to you. These things are what they are unless you find a motivated buyer. A car dealership is not a motivated buyer. They are a motivated seller.

Originally Posted by dutch078
Also, I don't know how I'd feel if my car were sold to just 'anyone.'
If you feel that way, (and that's a pretty understandable feeling), you need to try and sell it yourself.

The dealership is leveraging your desire for the Infiniti against your sensibilities regarding the value of your Maxima. If you want the Infiniti (also understandable), buy it, then sell the Maxima afterwards. You are not in charge if you associate those two transactions.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:20 AM

i say definitely sell it on your own, its going to save you a whole lot of $$$ plus you can make sure it is going to a good home
Old 07-05-2009, 12:54 PM

I understand exactly how you feel about your car. I sold my 97 to get my 03 and I still think about it sometimes because I basically gave it away for $4k. I did manage to sell it to a friend I knew would take care of it. As the others here suggested, pull your mods and sell it on your own.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:02 PM

my friend you are better off selling your car to an individual seller, those dealers always want to rip people off, they offer me $2000 for my 2k Max with 90k miles on it...
Old 07-05-2009, 07:22 PM

I might be interest if you decide to sell, send you PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:05 AM

After selling cars at dealerships for over 5 years I can tell you one thing for sure. KBB, NADA, Edmunds etc... are not accurate.

Dealers can look online and see what a particular car is seelling for at auction at any time. They can put in the year, mileage, condition and options and see what they've been going for over the last couple of days at auctions all over the country.

I've seen people come in with a print out from KBB that was thousands higher than what we could go buy the car for at auction. The auctions also let us return the car within a couple days if we find a problem. If we buy one on trade in we're stuck with it.

I'm not saying they wont lowball you. They will. The dealer has to inspect it, possibly put money into it and sell it cheap enough to move it off the lot fast. If the car sits too long their cost goes up and the value keeps dropping as time passes.

You're always better to sell the car yourself if you can. It doesn't sound like you're in a hurry so that's probably the way to go.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:16 AM
Suspension Yoda

Just to add, in regards to the mods you have on your car, part them out. You'll NEVER get the money you spent on mods back unless you sell them separately.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 AM

I am in the Midwest, but for a frame of reference, here are three somewhat recent Maxima transactions I know of:
--2001 Maxima SE manual - 99k miles - No sunroof, No Bose, No Leather, 16" wheels - Traded it in on a brand new Mazdaspeed3, got $6500 for it with the original offer from the dealer of $6000. This transaction was in Fall of 2008.
--2001 Maxima SE automatic - 84k miles - Bose, Sunroof, Leather (non heated), 17" wheels - Bought from a private party for $6000. Transaction in June 09.
--2002 Maxima SE Manual - around 80k miles, Bose, Cloth seats, Sunroof - Purchased from private party for $6000. Also in June 09.

I think once you tell them (if you are, that is) that you are ready to buy it right then and there, but only if they give you $XXXX for your car, I am sure they will work with you.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 AM
keep it metal

Thanks for all the info guys. I can only mill something over in my head for so long! Sometimes you just need a level headed opinion or suggestion that's not really vested in the situation. This whole deal really came about on a whim, so I wasn't planning (or expecting) all this to happen so quickly. I knew in my head that I would be better off selling the car on my own, preferably to someone who would care for it the way I have; but then the whole instant gratification regarding the Infiniti came about! I'll keep everyone posted.