5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cleaning 5.5 gen throttle Body - with pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Cleaning 5.5 gen throttle Body - with pics

my 5.5 gen has been having issues stalling when its started after the engine is warmed up so i am thinking it was the MAS thats dirty or the throttle body. I took the intake tubes off and see that the butterfly is a bit dirty. i have attached some before pics and will take more after im done and update the status of the stalling. My one question is in order to manually move the butterfly i just have to have the ignition in the ON position correct?

Old 08-09-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by wish2345
My one question is in order to manually move the butterfly i just have to have the ignition in the ON position correct?
I thought it was don't move it manually, only move it electronically with the pedal (with they key in 'on').
Old 08-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ridinwitha35
I thought it was don't move it manually, only move it electronically with the pedal (with they key in 'on').
i had my wife sit in the car with the key on and pressed the gas pedal and the butter fly didnt open. When the key gets turned off the butterfly opens and then shuts
Old 08-09-2009, 05:34 PM

i had my wife sit in the car with the key on and pressed the gas pedal and the butter fly didnt open. When the key gets turned off the butterfly opens and then shuts
Put it in gear.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Put it in gear.
must have missed that step. ill try that tomm, thanks
Old 08-09-2009, 08:42 PM

Pretty sure if u move it manually u risk screwing it up and getting a CEL. However i've heard people get cel's and some people don't. Never new the culprit..
Old 08-09-2009, 09:02 PM

DONT move the butterfly..i learned the hard way and had to replace the throttle body....
Old 08-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by streetuner
DONT move the butterfly..i learned the hard way and had to replace the throttle body....
+1, electric.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by streetuner
how much was a new throttle body?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:31 PM

I moved my throttle body's butterfly.

I completely removed it from my car and sprayed the crap out of it with THROTTLE BODY cleaner, opened the butterfly, and wiped it until it was clean.

It did not damage anything.

I DID get a CEL and it was a pain to get rid of, and here's why.

Its the fact that the ECU adjusted to the gook that was in the throttle body.
It opens the butterfly valve more, to keep the idle stable.

But when you clean it, more air can flow, but the ECU is still assuming that the dirt it still there, so the butterfly valve is open more than required, causing a high idle condition.

Check out this thread, particularly post #44 by me. It goes into more detail.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post6917270
Old 08-10-2009, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by ricerocket336
how much was a new throttle body?
My rebuilt from Rockauto was ~$100.

My CEL related idle relearn from the dealer was ~$40.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:27 AM
Cletus

dont do it...

i had to replace the throttle body and ECU after I did it
Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Unklejoe

Its the fact that the ECU adjusted to the gook that was in the throttle body.
It opens the butterfly valve more, to keep the idle stable.

But when you clean it, more air can flow, but the ECU is still assuming that the dirt it still there, so the butterfly valve is open more than required, causing a high idle condition.
wrong...you moved the throttle plate so the ECU tries to put the idle to where it should br...then the throttle goes to where it thinks it should be...the difference between the two is the reason for the idle problem.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 AM

so i shouldnt even clean the TB or just dont manually move the butterfly ?
Old 08-10-2009, 01:08 PM
No more Maximas...

FWIW I have NEVER had an issue with a VQ35 DBW TB, regardless of how I played with it, ignition on or off. On the car, removed. Hell, stripped one down, put it back together, still worked a treat.

And as said, the ECU will not move the throttle plate unless the ignition is on, the car is in gear and you're pressing the gas pedal (when it's not running, of course).
Old 08-10-2009, 02:19 PM

^^i agree. i have unhooked mine and cleaned it. took it apart and put back together. i never had a problem either. some are just tempermental i guess...
Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 PM
You embarrass me.

I want to do this, but have a feeling with my luck, I'll join the "need a new TB crew"
Old 08-11-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I want to do this, but have a feeling with my luck, I'll join the "need a new TB crew"

Well, for about $100, you can get a brand new-rebuilt shiney TB....and not clean the old one.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
wrong...you moved the throttle plate so the ECU tries to put the idle to where it should br...then the throttle goes to where it thinks it should be...the difference between the two is the reason for the idle problem.
I beg to differ.

The TPS is what tells the ECU where the throttle plate is. No matter what you do to it, nothing changes with the TPS. I can take my throttle body out, move the butterfly 1000 times, plug it back in and it will run perfectly fine.

The ECU simply adjusted to the dirt in the throttle body, so it automatically opens the butterfly more to compensate.

The ECU can't tell that the dirt was removed, so it doesn't know to put the butterfly back to the default spec. So now the butterfly is open as if there was dirt in there still, but theres not, so we have a high idle condition.

Most people can just do an idle relearn and the high idle condition will go away.

I had so much dirt in mine, that it was too far out of spec for the relearn to take. I even had one of my friends with the Consult II try to do a relearn, and it would not take.

If the idle is too high, the ECU will not let the relearn take, so what I had to do was unplug my front 3 fuel injectors to force the idle lower, which allowed the relearn to take.

This procedure is pointed out clearly in NISSAN TSB NTB05-067.

The reason they "say" you need a new ECU and throttle body is becasue the new ECU is set for the default butterfly spec.

There is no reason you would ever need a new throttle body unless you physcally damaged something. Period.

If anyone wants the TSB, I can email it to them, just let me know.

It seems that not alot of people know about that TSB, as my friend who is a tech at Nissan had no clue and he told me to just replace the ECU. It seems that its a problem with 2002-2005 Nissan vehicles.

Last edited by Unklejoe; 08-11-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 AM

I beg to differ.

The TPS is what tells the ECU where the throttle plate is. No matter what you do to it, nothing changes with the TPS. I can take my throttle body out, move the butterfly 1000 times, plug it back in and it will run perfectly fine.

The ECU simply adjusted to the dirt in the throttle body, so it automatically opens the butterfly more to compensate.

The ECU can't tell that the dirt was removed, so it doesn't know to put the butterfly back to the default spec. So now the butterfly is open as if there was dirt in there still, but theres not, so we have a high idle condition.

Most people can just do an idle relearn and the high idle condition will go away.

I had so much dirt in mine, that it was too far out of spec for the relearn to take. I even had one of my friends with the Consult II try to do a relearn, and it would not take.

If the idle is too high, the ECU will not let the relearn take, so what I had to do was unplug my front 3 fuel injectors to force the idle lower, which allowed the relearn to take.

The reason they "say" you need a new ECU and throttle body is becasue the new ECU is set for the default butterfly spec.

There is no reason you would ever need a new throttle body unless you physcally damaged something. Period.

It seems that not alot of people know about that TSB, as my friend who is a tech at Nissan had no clue and he told me to just replace the ECU. It seems that its a problem with 2002-2005 Nissan vehicles.
can you e-mail me the TSB - Wish2345@aol.com
Old 08-12-2009, 06:50 AM

I beg to differ.

can you email me the TSB to ricerocket336@yahoo.com thank you
Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 AM

Emails sent.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:56 PM

well if you do this and have the high idle code...p.m me i have the 5.5 gen idle relearn procedure
Old 08-12-2009, 02:59 PM

i am hopfully going to do this in a few hrs. Its been rainy a lot and the times its nice i have no one to help me hold down the pedel . i will post updates
Old 08-12-2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxima dude
well if you do this and have the high idle code...p.m me i have the 5.5 gen idle relearn procedure
Cool.

Also, if the relearn procedure doesn't work, or resets after you restart, PM me and I can send you the TSB.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:31 PM
No more Maximas...

It's not like it's a trade secret or anything.

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

Or the FSM...
Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 PM

UPDATE :
cleaned the TB out really good and seems to have fixed my problem. I will update if it comes back
Old 08-14-2009, 05:27 PM

wish2-5, so what method did you ultimately use?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:48 AM

i just turned the key on and put the car in drive. put a brick on the gas pedel to open the butterfly and used TB cleaner and wipped it out good. pretty simple
Old 09-07-2009, 09:29 PM

I beg to differ.

can you email me the TSB to hassan.ahmad04@gmail.com thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by DragonX0104
can you email me the TSB to hassan.ahmad04@gmail.com thanks
Sent.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:27 AM

i just turned the key on and put the car in drive. put a brick on the gas pedel to open the butterfly and used TB cleaner and wipped it out good. pretty simple
did that give you a light?
if that didnt why talking out the tb would throw a code? weird.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 PM

Don't move the throttle body manually. Only move it with the ignition on and gas pedal. I tried this on the G35 and had some problems but you can try the procedures from the link below to see if the CEL will get reset. Read the last post by me for what I did different

http://g35driver.com/forums/intake-e...g-now-cel.html
Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Relearn Procedure

Could you please send me the relearn procedure. I have the same problem with my 2000 Maxima Se. Can't get the idle to correct itself after throttle body cleaning.

95supersport@gmail.com
Old 09-17-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by spotdaddy
Could you please send me the relearn procedure. I have the same problem with my 2000 Maxima Se. Can't get the idle to correct itself after throttle body cleaning.

95supersport@gmail.com
Your max doesnt need a relearn, its only for the 5.5 gen which has an electronic throttle as opposed to a 5 gen such as yours which has a drve by wire throttle... can someone confirm this cause i could be talking out of my a$$, but i think something else is wrong...
Old 09-18-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by bocian
Your max doesnt need a relearn, its only for the 5.5 gen which has an electronic throttle as opposed to a 5 gen such as yours which has a drve by wire throttle... can someone confirm this cause i could be talking out of my a$$, but i think something else is wrong...
i can confirm a$$ talking. Electronic= drive by wire.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 AM

Glad I haven't had any problems with my throttle body, since it seems like your rolling the dice on cleaning it, might work out for you and it might not.....someone should make a successful video of cleaning it .....
Old 09-18-2011, 10:58 AM

How much good are you actually doing with cleaning the TB from just the front? What if you unplug and remove it to clean both sides and potentially not even touch the butterfly? This is why engine mods and tricks seem scary to me. Maybe if there was a video like mentioned above i would dive in and add 100whp to the butt dyno.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:54 PM

if you unplug the throttlebody your guaranteed to have to perform the relearn

Quick Reply: Cleaning 5.5 gen throttle Body - with pics