5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A little help plz..

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 PM

A little help plz..

Ok, when I pull up my windows all together, it seems like the car loses power and all the windows roll up slower. another thing is when I use my gas popper button all the lights dim in the car..

could these be related or has this happened to anyone else??
Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by BigOgre
Ok, when I pull up my windows all together, it seems like the car loses power and all the windows roll up slower. another thing is when I use my gas popper button all the lights dim in the car..

could these be related or has this happened to anyone else??
Was the engine running those times? If it was - sounds like alternator issue if not- battery. Does it start normally or it also turns slowly? Check/clean the battery posts in any event.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:02 PM

Since you mention the fuel door release, I assume the car's off. Whatever the case, it's battery related. Either your battery isn't charged, can't hold a charge, loose battery connections, bad grounds or popped fuses (sometimes they pop but don't visually look like they have) somewhere, or a short to ground somewhere.

I would start with a visual inspection of your battery connections (make sure they're tight, and clean off some of the corrosion).

Measure your battery before starting the car & after you've started the engine. Should be around 12.6V before & at least 13.8V with the engine spinning the alt.

A short to ground will cause the battery to slowly discharge. You can check this by measuring battery voltage about 10 minutes after a long drive and then after a couple hours. Normally the alt is charging the battery when you drive & when you cut off the engine, the battery will read a little higher than it actually is, which is why you wanna wait a little bit before measuring. If you measure your battery at 12.8V and then 4 hours later at 10.8V, you could have a short somewhere.

How's the car start? Does it sound like the starter is "struggling"?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 AM

my guess would be alternator or battery too
Old 08-10-2009, 05:29 AM

Whenever using small electrical things like windows cause a noticeable drag on the system (i.e. light dim), my first suspect is usually the alternator. Get a system check.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:57 PM

I took my battery to autozone and they hooked it up to their machine and it said "good battery". But then again it is the Nissan battery that I assume came with the car back in 01.. lol

IIRC I used the gas popper while the car was still on..
Everytime I start the car it starts like a champ!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Roll the windows up one or maybe two at a time. Seriously, all 4 at the same time does require a bit of current. Suprised the circuit breaker hasn't blown.
Does the gas door popper dimming your lights really both you that much? It's probably tied to the same circuit as the int. lighting. Do you get gas every day, once a week and how long to you hold the button down? Isn't it like a second? So the lights just do a quick flicker? Is it honestly that annoying? If the battery and charging system are checking out OK, how are all the connections to the battery? Any corrosion on the terminals? Check for poor grounds ect.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:08 AM

21 questions? lol jk

Umm all i have to do is roll up the front two windows and they start to slow down..
I fill gas almost every 2 weeks or so..
yes the popper is only pressed for a second but if that can help lead to the a problem then its worth mentioning.