5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Drove through water....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 AM

Drove through water....HELP! ~UPDATED~

So the wife drove into some deep water last tuesday morning and backed out of it. The car ran fine afterwards, until later that evening. I was driving home from work and it died sitting at a light. I thought it was out of gas, so I pushed it to a gas station and put some in it. it started right up, but would only idle. I messed with it for about 10 minutes (turning it off and on, pulling the air filter) and eventually it started and ran fine. I went to work and back without a problem the next day, but it died again wehn my wife was driving it that evening. Same issue, it would idle but not rev. This time it took about 2 hrs before it finally cleared up, but it drove fine afterwards. The next morning it started fine for me but started doing the same thing right after i pulled out of the driveway. Soon after that it died and has not started since. I pulled the codes and it is throwing P1612, P1122, P0021, and P0221. This could not have happened at a worse time financially, so I am trying to fix it in the most cost effective way possible. Could anyone give me some ideas where to start? Thanks in advance!!

btw: it is an 02 SE all stock, AT

Last edited by mattndawna; 09-02-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 AM

sounds like a maf issue to me
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 AM

I was thinking that and pulled it first. It was clean and dry, but could that be deceiving to me?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:59 AM

Because of those various fault codes (you've even got a NATS code there) and the fact that your issues were initially intermittent, and stating the obvious, it looks like water has gotten into some electrical harness connectors.......this could be a royal PITA. Was the airfilter bone dry? Can your wife give you an idea how high the water actually was? With the Ign. switch "ON" are all the dash lights on, and is the engine still "trying" to start/run?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 AM

yup, air filter was completely dry. There was water in the floorboards, so it was pretty deep. All lights work as they should, engine cranks as it should
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

change your oil now, and I would change your spark plugs. Same thing happened to my friend's car. First we cranked it without the spark plugs to force the water out of the cylinders (something that's already been done in your car) then I changed the oil. 13 quarts of coffee came out of her 2.0L ECOTEC which requires 4 quarts of oil.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:33 AM

does sound like a maf. the sensor's wire is very thin, and breaks easily. it may have dried out, but it could still be busted. look up the codes too if you can, go to autozone.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Play with my balls

- new wife
- profit
Old 08-12-2009, 12:28 PM

actually the MAF wire looked pristine and dry when i checked it. Should I still go this route?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
- new wife
- profit
Whats phase 2??
Old 08-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
- new wife
- profit
The three rules of life:
1. Never share your car
2. Never share your woman
3. Never share your car with your woman

Profit.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:29 PM

lol, think i will keep the wife, thanks....

I did look up the codes, and this is what i found

P0021 - IVT Control (Bank 2)
P0221 - Throttle Position Sensor Circuit Range / Performance Problem
P1122 - Electric Throttle Control Performance Problem

the P1612 is something to do with the security system...
Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 PM

As the car has run somewhat normally since the water episode I don't think it's the MAF and the dry airfilter element proves that no water got into the intake. I see no other way for water to get into the engine. Just make sure that your tranny vent hose (the open "hook") is still attached/hanging adjacent to the intake duct. But any electrical harness connectors including any sensor/component connectors that may have been underwater/soaked need to be checked for water and dried out. Silicone spray can be useful for displacing moisture out of electrical stuff. Systematically do the ones first that you are quite sure were underwater (start at the bottom and work up). Before disconnecting/reconnecting electrical connectors it is wise to disconnect (Ign. sw. OFF) the battery power.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:46 PM

currently working on this last suggestion.... anyone point me towards the sensor locations so that I can pay them a little more attention?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:34 PM

I would unclip every connector under the hood and psray them with CRC 556.

This is an excellent spray for displacing moisture.

Depending on how fast the wife was going when she hit the water allot may have sprayed up and hit the firewall. It may have caught there for a few seconds and submerged a few connectors. Since you get a Throttle position error that's one that's in that area.

I'd do the same with the Ox sensor connectors and anything else under the hood including the fuse area.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:13 PM

That is the spray i bought and am using. Where in that area is the TPS? Should I need to pull the airbox to get to them? Thanks, I am not the MOST mechanically inclined.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:17 AM

if anyone can tell me where the tps sensor and the ivt control bank 2 are I would be GREATLY appreciative. Thanks in advance...
Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 AM

Bump to see if someone can point me to the tps sensor and the IVT control bank 2 sensors... thanks!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the maf sensor doesnt have to "look" clean to be clean...i mean lol its small as hell. Clean it for good measure anyways b/c most cars I had to deal with that stalled out in the rain just had a bad maf sensor...if they weren't completely hydrolocked.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Whitebread
The three rules of life:
1. Never share your car
3. Never share your car with your woman

Profit.

Obivously you are not married, two points of your philiosphy goes right out the door w/the I do's....

Back to topic: Deffinitly change the oil, tps sensor:

the IVT control bank 2 sensor, could not find a pic but here is a thread discribing it's location:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-sensor.html
Old 08-17-2009, 07:09 AM

but wouldnt it throw codes relating to the MAF sensor if that was the case?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by max929
Obivously you are not married, two points of your philiosphy goes right out the door w/the I do's....

the IVT control bank 2 sensor, could not find a pic but here is a thread discribing it's location:
See if you can PM http://forums.maxima.org/member.php?u=83261 AKA CMAX03..I believe he has replaced the sensors you want to, he can probably be alot of help.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 AM

TY neal!! I greatly appreciate your help here! If I checked the oil and found no water at all, should I still change it? Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by max929

Ummm i hate to be the breaker of bad news but 2002 3.5 will have the drive by wire and will need the whole TB replaced.........

The 3.5 will not have a TPS like that cause that TPS is for a cable driven TB.

But i personally would troubleshoot the TPS before the VTC solonoids(can be very costly) But then again it could be just the cam shaft sensors which could be the issue as well

You can probley get a drive by throttle body for about 100 dollars. IIRC you can get one off any 3.5 that has the drive by wire

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 08-17-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:56 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Throt...Q5fAccessories

Something like this
Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 AM

here is where the camshaft sensors are

Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 AM

Do not worry about those damn fault codes right now, and the MAF sensor "element", which did not get wet. I don't think the water got up as high as the TB and the throttle actuator. The codes do not necessarily mean that it's related to a problem with the associated unit/component, or that it's only because of water contamination of the electrical harness connector of that component. The harness may have another mid-connector or sub- harness connector, and there IS, after all another end of the harness and another connector that does get connected at "the other end" (ie. the ECM for example). Some people are forgetting that this car ran after the "water event". The engine compartment harness alone has a whole bunch of "weather proof" (along with standard ones) connectors that after being submerged for even a short time could have allowed water past the weather seal and then "trapped" this water in the connector causing these issues. First, complete what fflint_18 has suggested and be systematic. Check every one. I don't like that NATS code. Have you pulled up the carpet? The harness/connectors in the center console/floor area should also be checked by the sound of it. I do not envy you!

Last edited by P. Samson; 08-17-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:52 PM

oh hell, so I should pull the carpet and check the ECU? This is in the front center console area? I will do this tonight, fingers crossed that all is dry
Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by mattndawna
oh hell, so I should pull the carpet and check the ECU? This is in the front center console area? I will do this tonight, fingers crossed that all is dry
it should be.. its a little elevated from the floor..

i'm lowered and i had to drive through some deep water at the gym while it was raining hard.. i didn't get water into the cabin.. it didn't help that my hood was halfway opened in the front.. it sucks when your alty dies and your car runs on a deep cycle batter for a couple of seconds.. lol
Old 08-18-2009, 05:37 PM

ok, how do I pull the carpet? I can put it back afterwards, right? This sucks, btw....
Old 08-18-2009, 06:13 PM

ok, how do I pull the carpet? I can put it back afterwards, right? This sucks, btw....
You've never checked your battery voltage throughout this thread, should be easier than dealing with the carpet.

Another idea - check/clean the connectors that are low in the engine bay. If alternator for example is as low as I recall on my 2k it could easily get it and then you might get all kind of problems.

Accelerator Pedal Position sensor is also close to the floor and is relevant to the some of the codes reported.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:35 AM

OK, Car is at the mechanic. He said he got it running, but it still wont rev. He cleaned all the connectors and sensors. He also said I need a new Throttle Body? He gave me a price of 324 on it. I think I found it on partsgeek for 122. Does this make sense to you guys who know a lot more than me? Thanks in advance...
Old 09-02-2009, 06:35 AM

chances are if it starts and idles fine, but when you press the gas and it wants to stall, you have a maf issue
Old 09-02-2009, 06:51 AM

I'd be very surprised if the TB was damaged. It didn't get wet. I predict that the mechanic will try replacing several parts chasing codes when the problem is in the connections or ECU.

I'd be looking at the ECU. If the carpet was soaked it would, over time, soak up to the ECU which is only inches higher than the floor AND has carpet right under it. That would explain why it got worse over time. A bad ECU could throw all kinds of codes and cause symptoms that don't throw any code.

BTW, I wouldn't change the oil ahead of schedule. You didn't suck any water into the engine.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Well the mechanic has replaced the throttle body, which has the TPS on it. He is now telling me the sensor at the pedal needs replacing, that it is putting out negative voltage? Anyone have any idea what part he is talking about? Thanks!!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:00 PM

Well the mechanic has replaced the throttle body, which has the TPS on it. He is now telling me the sensor at the pedal needs replacing, that it is putting out negative voltage? Anyone have any idea what part he is talking about? Thanks!!
You did mention the floor board did get soaked, so i dont think he is lying abt the pedal sensor, but has he at all checked the ecu? is only inches, only inches fron the floor board water or the moisture from the water might have made its way into the ecu. Ask him to check that out prior to changing anything else and making you dig into your pocket

Umair
Old 09-04-2009, 08:42 PM

Hmmm, if only someone could have predicted this before it happened.

It would have been nice if he had checked that before replacing expensive parts that were working fine.

The pedal sensor controls the drive by wire throttle. It lives at the very top of the gas pedal. When you press the pedal it moves the pedal sensor instead of pulling a cable like on an older car. The sensor tells the computer you're pushing the pedal and sends a signal to the throttle body to open or close. It's just a complicated way to replace a simple system that always worked fine.

The mechanic should know what voltage the pedal sensor should put out.
I'd be doubtful of the pedal sensor since it's higher up and doesn't come in contact with the carpet.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:07 PM

update... the car just went to the dealer after months at the (small) mechanic. It will idle fine, but will not rev past 2k. It has a new throttle body and accelerator pedal (with sensor). The mechanic said all voltages check out fine and he has no clue as to what could be wrong. It is still throwing p1122 and p0507 codes. The mechanic said he spoke to the local nissan dealer and they told him i need a new ecu and throttle body and it would be 1800 to 2k at least! I had it towed to a dealer that I trust a lot more than the one he spoke to, so I guess I will see what happens when i hear from the dealer on monday. It would be nice to be armed with a little knowledge when i talk to them so I am reaching out to the org for any wisdom you can impart. Thanks guys, I miss my max!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 02:17 PM

was the MAF ever replaced? Did you ever try unplugging all the connectors and letting them dry?
Old 11-07-2009, 02:36 PM

nope, never replaced the MAF. Didnt seem warranted from the info I got here and what the mechanic found. Unplugged all connectors and sprayed them out with electrical cleaner then let dry before reconnecting. The mechanic also spent hours going through all wires and connectors looking for corrosion and cleaning/drying things.

Quick Reply: Drove through water....HELP!