5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Problem..Tranny not wanting to shift!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:00 PM

New Problem..Tranny not wanting to shift!

ok... So my original thread was me doing the Transgo Shift kit. Turns out after the shift kit, the 3rd gear clutch pack were bad... So what did i do? i had the tranny swapped for a good used one.

Tranny goes in, I call to check on how it went? they said the transmission doesnt wanna shift outta first... oh really now?! I go down to see the car... I drove it.. sure enough, it doesn't wanna shift!... I kept playing with the throttle througout the RPM's, not so much luck, but i had slightly better luck manually shifting the auto.

Light finally comes on.. P0720 and another one i cant remember... I changed both of the speed sensors... why not right? sure.. but the tranny shifted correctly ONCE.. then after that? nope... The light gets cleared, they said try to drive a lil bit to see if it starts to catch... Nope.. nada...So he determines that i just must have a bad tranny but i had to pay for the install ofcourse. Now.. I called the junk yard again, they sent another free of charge. Cool!

Now... finally gets there, i drop off the car... got finished today... but oh wait?! It doesnt wanna shift! JUST LIKE THE LAST TRANNY! hmm... now i'm getting a teensy weensy lil bit upset...

Went through the whole argument, said he called Nissan and they think it could just be the TCM...Oh really now... why wasnt this checked on my last tranny? don't know.... But now i have another tranny that just went in and it's doing the same thing..

So what do i do? go take it to a tranny shop? for them to tell me i may have to have a rebuild? Do i just go get a used TCM to possibly see if its that? again... dont know.

Same symptoms as last one, the original tranny didnt have this problem but the last tranny and now this have the same symptoms?! odd... Could it be i have two defective tranny's? possibley but highly unlikely... They are warrantied as well...

Not sure what to do folks... I need some assistance because my patience just wore quite thin...

anyone?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have you looked through the diagnostics in the service manual? I've got a link to them in my signature. There may be some other sensors involved with transmission shifting.

fyi, I've got a TCM for sale. Its the XXXXX-XX960 model. There's a tsb out there to replace the XXXXX-XX900 with XXXXX-XX901. Your symptoms dont sound like those mentioned in the tsb.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Also, are you using the VB from the original transmission?

I'm looking through my 2001 servive manual, for the symtom: A/T Does Not Shift: D1 ® D2 or Does Not Kickdown: D4 ® D2 (Cont’d), outside of the transmission components is says to check throttle position sensor. IIRC, the tps on the 3.5l engines is very sensitive if removed and must be relearned.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:35 AM

hmm...

Yea i checked the revolutionary sensors and swapped them and same problem

so i should check the TPS i assume..

This is just rediculous... i really would hate to take it to nissan and get raped for this.

I dont even have codes on yet. Does the dealer have a scan tool that can find any codes before the light pops up?

and anyone know what the tps looks like? i searched through that manual and looked for the diagram and just saw that one pic on page 246...but it's not too clear to me.

any help would be great.. maybe i can swap with my cousin's tps..she has an 03...just to see if that's it i guess.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 AM

OH and yes its the original vb that came with the tranny....both of them actually
Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 AM

oh and also, if i dc the TPS, will i need to reset the computer or something?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:41 PM

ok... update... i tried to do that reset thing where i let the car warm up, then turn the key to ON for 5 seconds then off for 10 seconds like 20 times... and then when i started the car, it just died... and now it doesnt wanna idle right... BUT i noticed that right after i got the tranny swapped the first time.

any ideas?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:03 AM

wow... nobody?