5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SSV4 Suprastick 5.5 gen worst mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:11 AM

SSV4 Suprastick 5.5 gen worst mod

So today I attempted to install the SSV4 on my 5.5 gen. The wiring was easy some what. still haven't figured out the

1.) cruise control buttons for the up/down shift.
2.) the automatic shift table for regular driving

When I put the unit into manual mode I cant use the cruise to select gears like I set it up. When I go to enable cruise the cruise light in the dash comes on and the set light flashes constantly. I can only up shift and to do that I have to turn the cruise button on, off, on, off, on and that how I shift up and up only I have a total of 10 codes some pending and some permanent codes for shift solenoids, my A/T trans light flashes when I turn the car on.

So here are my questions:

How many wires control the cruise control on the 5.5 gen?? and where should i tap??
Does anyone have a factory shift table they are already using and are satisfied with using the SSV4

I dont have much time to trouble shoot and play around my time is short and thought this was going to be an easier install.
From 1 ORGER TO ANOTHER HELP HELP HELP

336.682.6489 Its that serious
Old 09-19-2009, 07:34 AM

no suggestions???
Old 09-19-2009, 09:01 AM

prob nobody know how to deal with it on a 5.5...
Old 09-19-2009, 09:22 AM

**** i know that im so frustrated right now
Old 09-19-2009, 09:37 AM

You going to mess with it today
Old 09-19-2009, 10:08 AM

sitting outside now wired to my car looking like a geek.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 PM

try posting or linking this in the all motor section
Old 09-19-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by KiNgJaMEs

How many wires control the cruise control on the 5.5 gen?? and where should i tap??
Does anyone have a factory shift table they are already using and are satisfied with using the SSV4
Download the FSM for your year. All the information for the cruise control, such as the circuit, will be there.

I did not use a factory shift table. I dont like the way the A32 TCM shift points are set up. I started from scratch and worked on it until I was satisfied.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You hookup the Suprastick, it doesn't work from the cruise control and then you ask how to connect it?

That should have been your first step.

Do what whlimi said, download the fsm and check it out.

I will tell you one thing, it definately won't work unless you have a switch that disables the cruise and enables the suprastick, you can't control 2 things from the same circuit and leave all the wires connected.

PS There is only one switch on the cruise that goes direct without any resistors and that is the Main switch which turns the cruise on and off, all the rest go through a resistor network and I doubt its possible to get it to up/down shift without modifying the cruise switch which would also disable the cruise functionality. Get a separate switch setup and mount it on the dash or get paddles.

Last edited by Jime; 09-20-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jime
You hookup the Suprastick, it doesn't work from the cruise control and then you ask how to connect it?

That should have been your first step.

Do what whlimi said, download the fsm and check it out.

I will tell you one thing, it definately won't work unless you have a switch that disables the cruise and enables the suprastick, you can't control 2 things from the same circuit and leave all the wires connected.
Werd ^^^
Old 09-20-2009, 01:34 PM

I hear everything that yall are saying. I wanted to know if anyone had this setup on a 5.5 gen already me and surratt (aka PNP UTEC harness) he is a guru i would say. have had problems thus far. it has been a problem just connecting the SSV4 to the comp and keeping it connected. we have tried XP, and Vista computers and haven't had luck keeping it up. and no its gotten to the point i cant enter the main screen when it asks for me to press 1, it doesn't recognize it it just freezes up. maybe i have a faulty unit or maybe not.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:10 PM

I hear everything that yall are saying. I wanted to know if anyone had this setup on a 5.5 gen already me and surratt (aka PNP UTEC harness) he is a guru i would say. have had problems thus far. it has been a problem just connecting the SSV4 to the comp and keeping it connected. we have tried XP, and Vista computers and haven't had luck keeping it up. and no its gotten to the point i cant enter the main screen when it asks for me to press 1, it doesn't recognize it it just freezes up. maybe i have a faulty unit or maybe not.
My unit did the same thing out of the box. I could see the startup screen in hyperterminal but I could not get past that screen. Turned out to be a loose communication wire in the serial connector coming out of the SSV4 unit. Sent it back to Garrett and got it back in about a week and everything functioned perfectly. That connector isnt meant to take a lot of stress and you will end up with wires coming loose inside the connector if you bend or pull on it too much. This may or may not be your case. Make sure all the settings in hypertermial are correct and try it with Flow Control set to Hardware and try it set to None.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by whlimi
My unit did the same thing out of the box. I could see the startup screen in hyperterminal but I could not get past that screen. Turned out to be a loose communication wire in the serial connector coming out of the SSV4 unit. Sent it back to Garrett and got it back in about a week and everything functioned perfectly. That connector isnt meant to take a lot of stress and you will end up with wires coming loose inside the connector if you bend or pull on it too much. This may or may not be your case. Make sure all the settings in hypertermial are correct and try it with Flow Control set to Hardware and try it set to None.
appreciate that. didnt know it was that sensitive
Old 09-21-2009, 12:40 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

yo

did you ever get the shift table to edit??
Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM

no i cant get into the shift table. i think the unit is spazn. i can hear it working though, i can still hear it clicking as if it changing gears. but its not because i disconnected them from the solenoids, and i clipped the wire to the cruise so i can use that now. im calling Mr. Rowe tonight when I get off to see what the problem could be.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:26 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

no i cant get into the shift table. i think the unit is spazn. i can hear it working though, i can still hear it clicking as if it changing gears. but its not because i disconnected them from the solenoids, and i clipped the wire to the cruise so i can use that now. im calling Mr. Rowe tonight when I get off to see what the problem could be.
hmm, it could be the cable coming out of the ss, like that guy was saying, cuz we was having probs just connecting.

reading what Jimmy said, the cruse control wire needs a switch on it, so u can have 2 modes, a ss mode, and a normal mode that actually does the cruse control.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You are using a null modem cable?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 PM

It doesn't say it is but i using a Null Modem adapter and still no go.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 PM

has anyone used the SSV4 on Vista with a 64 bit OS??
Old 09-29-2009, 02:00 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

yo u ever figure anything out?

i meant to call u back but it was 11 and i figured u had to wake up early as hell for work
Old 09-29-2009, 03:44 PM

naw man still at a stand still
Old 10-10-2009, 08:06 AM

Update into the program and shift table, just need some help in the shift table.