5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TIRE WEAR CONCERN!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:58 AM

TIRE WEAR CONCERN!!

well as the snow approches my wisconsin weather iv decided to change to my green diamon snow tires on my OEM rims and take off my black ones. why? becuase i planned to store my max for the winter at the local storage facility until spring and drive my daily bucket (93 sentra) for the whole winter but last week it got butt ramed( i was at a stop light and a F150 ramed my rear becuase it was to slippery). and no insurence on the sentra eaither cuase i was already paying for the max so i didnt see why i should pay both when i only drive the max more often than the sentra. so unless i know how to ride the city bus my only sorce of trans portation is my max.(dont worry the bodykit is taken off). anyways off topic ha, so after iv got done paying a good 70 or so dollers for the mounting and balancing at the shop i came to to swap out the set only to find out an un-normal tire wear pattern. one side of my tire(both front) wore out faster than the center or the outer edge. with the tire in its normal rotation view the inside side thread is almost completely gone ware as the center and outter edge still have a good 10% or so left thread. and iv only driven these new spankin tires since spring thats like a little over 10Kmiles. a couple races here and there but nothing drastic. so i pounder and wonder and done more inspection that led me thinking of these possible cuases.(see below) the car dosnt pull eaither to the right or left but do so once in like many moons, not terribly but just a super light tug twords my wrist, it makes me confused if its my alignment or not becuase it goes back to being strait again.

possible cuase?
-camber/caster
-uneven spring rates
-alignment issue? toe alignment
-ball joints/control arm/bushings

yes thats that actual tire on the passenger front side, the driver front is simular to that but u can see some light inner structure of the tire. as u can see in this one its basically slicks lol and seems like its about to blow at anytime. ofcurse that white line on the left side is the inner strucutre of the tire.

sometime it makes me think if its the tire qulity but the likes of that is unlikely. please any inputs will help. im not to concern as of right now becuase i only drive my max to work and home and some convience shopping with in a radius of like 5 miles lol yea small town but lots of tuners. ill wait until income tax comes then do some serivce and with this freakin wisconsin weather where its butt effin cold one day but confortable cool 40 degrees the other its hard to predict whens the best day to do some service. thats right i dont have a heated garage. just a garage, garage.

Last edited by R34maxima582; 12-20-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:47 AM

The uneven wear across the tread is due to camber. Although, camber doesn't affect wear rate, so this is fairly normal and indicates there is another issue (if the tires have wore out prematurely). Also note the front tires will wear faster since they support more weight, perform the majority of braking, all the acceleration and turning loads.

The other issue is likely excessive toe, either in or out). When was the last time you had an alignment? Was it before or after the Teins?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2slow
The uneven wear across the tread is due to camber. Although, camber doesn't affect wear rate, so this is fairly normal and indicates there is another issue (if the tires have wore out prematurely). Also note the front tires will wear faster since they support more weight, perform the majority of braking, all the acceleration and turning loads.

The other issue is likely excessive toe, either in or out). When was the last time you had an alignment? Was it before or after the Teins?
it was b4 my tiens. at first i was told no need for alignement if im still driving strait. guess that proves it was just a myth and should had alignment done.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you're saying those tires were new 10k miles ago? that's insane.

you should ALWAYS get an alignment done when you're changing the suspension components.

I hope you're not driving those still...
Old 12-20-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by R34maxima582
it was b4 my tiens. at first i was told no need for alignement if im still driving strait. guess that proves it was just a myth and should had alignment done.
If the toe on both sides is the same, the car will track straight. Though, the total toe could be quite large causing unreasonable wear rates.

A good rule of thumb is if any suspension work is performed an alignment is a good idea. Some suspension work doesn't affect alignment angles/settings, but those are few and far between in a mac-strut car.

I'm guessing the rears didn't wear much?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2slow
If the toe on both sides is the same, the car will track straight. Though, the total toe could be quite large causing unreasonable wear rates.

A good rule of thumb is if any suspension work is performed an alignment is a good idea. Some suspension work doesn't affect alignment angles/settings, but those are few and far between in a mac-strut car.

I'm guessing the rears didn't wear much?
nope the rears are fine. yeah i should have done so but after puttin the the damn set on witch i spent pretty much the whole day and my back was killing me due to me having to do my self made me didnt wanna go to the shop right away. and then forgot about it -_- . stupid idea. then a dumb idiot budy of min said i its fine as long as it goes strait. thats the last time ill listin to him. thanks for the input.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
you're saying those tires were new 10k miles ago? that's insane.

you should ALWAYS get an alignment done when you're changing the suspension components.

I hope you're not driving those still...
yeah crazy eh? lol i should have checked on it more often then not. im always busy doin minor interior and engine tune ups that i forgot about tires. dont worry i switch over to my snow tires temperaly until i can get some new bushings(or if anything that needs to be replaced) and a alignment at the local shop.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by R34maxima582
yeah crazy eh? lol i should have checked on it more often then not. im always busy doin minor interior and engine tune ups that i forgot about tires.
After you get your problem fixed, it's OK to be more aware of your tread. And easy, too. Just every time you approach your car, you eyeball the tires. It's a good habit to get into.

That picture is of an insanely unsafe tire. Consider yourself very lucky.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 AM

With all the torque that one gets from the Max, I can't seem to understand why you wouldn't have notice you were getting more and more excessive wheel spin when you were doing your normal daily driving. I have Falken's on during the summer and they have about 75% good tread on them but even I have notice when the roads were even a bit damp it was becoming easier and easier to get wheel spin and this was there second summer season. I will most likely replace them for next summer to regain that stick to the road that new tires offer.

As the guys have already said, doing any type of front end work on the suspension requires a wheel alignment to ensure maximum safety and proper wear, I too am very surprised that you didn't experience a full tire blow out at high speed given the wear straight down to the inner core such as in your pictures. Doing a quick walk around of the car is always the best practice even if it just to make sure that the tire appear to have full air pressure and at least once a month check on all the tire lugs to ensure that they have not loosened off and are still nice and snug.

Remember your most precious cargo is depending on those tires to always be up to spec your ars and your family.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
With all the torque that one gets from the Max, I can't seem to understand why you wouldn't have notice you were getting more and more excessive wheel spin when you were doing your normal daily driving. I have Falken's on during the summer and they have about 75% good tread on them but even I have notice when the roads were even a bit damp it was becoming easier and easier to get wheel spin and this was there second summer season. I will most likely replace them for next summer to regain that stick to the road that new tires offer.

As the guys have already said, doing any type of front end work on the suspension requires a wheel alignment to ensure maximum safety and proper wear, I too am very surprised that you didn't experience a full tire blow out at high speed given the wear straight down to the inner core such as in your pictures. Doing a quick walk around of the car is always the best practice even if it just to make sure that the tire appear to have full air pressure and at least once a month check on all the tire lugs to ensure that they have not loosened off and are still nice and snug.

Remember your most precious cargo is depending on those tires to always be up to spec your ars and your family.
woo u wrote like a noval there but i read every word, word for word. thanks alot for the input. i do check for tire pressure bi-weekly or especailly when i go on a lil road trip like the next town over or somthing. id least expect my tires wear out that fast. lesson learned, guess id be more cautoius about my tire threads from now on.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 PM

Another decent rule of thumb: rotate tires every 10,000 miles or sooner; if using high performance tires, rotate every 5,000 miles or sooner (I use this for snows). Of course this assumes they can be rotated (non-staggered wheel/tires).