5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My brother backed into my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:11 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

My brother backed into my car

I stayed over at my brother's house the other night (memorial service for a friend close to my brother's house I was attending) and when he turned his wheel to avoid the trash can and recycling bins he forgot to bring in the night before, he hit my rear passenger door with his back bumper.

On the plus side, at least he hit the door that had all the door dings in it and I know he will pay for the repairs. He did the last time-about 3 years ago his wife backed into my old 626. His driveway is the most dangerous place I've been over the last few years!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Got Retrofit?

Ouch that hurts. Never park in the driveway again.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

haha damn dude...thats gotta suck so bad, you should have seen my car last week, someone backed into the front of my car and dinged it up pretty bad
Old 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I stayed over at my brother's house the other night (memorial service for a friend close to my brother's house I was attending) and when he turned his wheel to avoid the trash can and recycling bins he forgot to bring in the night before, he hit my rear passenger door with his back bumper.

On the plus side, at least he hit the door that had all the door dings in it and I know he will pay for the repairs. He did the last time-about 3 years ago his wife backed into my old 626. His driveway is the most dangerous place I've been over the last few years!

With your name and your sig pic, I keep thinking that your car is always clean and detailed 24/7. Its wierd to see a pic with your car dirty lol. OT I know. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by 94maxteamrtv
With your name and your sig pic, I keep thinking that your car is always clean and detailed 24/7. Its wierd to see a pic with your car dirty lol. OT I know. Good luck with the repairs.
Either the weather has been crap, or by the time I get detailing other people's cars all day and get home, it is dark. Just another reason to hate winter.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 AM
You embarrass me.

At least it's limited to the door and didn't extend into the rear quarter panel. Hope you get it fixed soon! ... and cleaned as well, haha.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Fight Fight Fight... LOL....
Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 AM

When I saw the thread title and your screen-name next to it, I thought, "Oh crap." Most people here have figured out how well you care for the appearance of your car. I'm genuinely sorry to hear about this, Scott.

And I'm glad you see an upside, with the dings and all. The admission that you even have dings in that car is kind of a shocker unto itself. I have one, after 7.5 years. And I hate it.

Good luck with the color matching on that gorgeous dark gray metallic. Hope it works out well.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 AM

that will buff right out.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:01 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Taking it down to my friend's body shop in the morning for an estimate. The guy does amazing work, recommend him to all my customers. Might go in tomorrow if he can have it done by Friday, otherwise I'll take it in next Monday. I'd hate for it to be a 4 day job and my brother have to pay for a rental an extra two days if my car has to stay over the weekend.

I'd love to have the hood repainted too (stone chips) but the way the weather has been killing my business the last few weeks I think I'll wait until it warms up and dries out.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Sorry o hear that sir.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I think could easily just find another door the same color as your car now...and just swap out the doors

at least the car is still drivable
Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Taking it down to my friend's body shop in the morning for an estimate. The guy does amazing work, recommend him to all my customers. Might go in tomorrow if he can have it done by Friday, otherwise I'll take it in next Monday. I'd hate for it to be a 4 day job and my brother have to pay for a rental an extra two days if my car has to stay over the weekend.

I'd love to have the hood repainted too (stone chips) but the way the weather has been killing my business the last few weeks I think I'll wait until it warms up and dries out.
Sorry to hear about the incident Scott, sounds like you have a really good relationship with your brother. I am sure you have your car looking as great as it always has in no time.

I have two very small dings that bother me every time I approach my car, and have often thought of getting my hood repainted from the stone chips.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear that, but glad you can fix up that dent as well.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
I think could easily just find another door the same color as your car now...and just swap out the doors

at least the car is still drivable
Depends on what my brother's insurance is willing to pay for. Estimate was $990.81 to repair the door ($200 more for a new door skin), repaint and blend in the paint on the rear bumper and front door. Really the only way to do it right. Even with a replacement door off another car you can still have paint matching issues since grey lustre is a metallic.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:30 PM

That sucks man. Let me wife borrow my car the other nite and she cranked the wheel into a curb and gashed up my rims.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 PM

Yea, that sucks. Are you really going to ding your brother for a rental car?

The wife tells me last night, "I put a scuff in the bumper". Man, that really pisses me off and I go off on her about if you can't back up you shouldn't be driving. I calm down, check it out-not bad at all, ( but it all adds up).
So now she has accumulated 2 "scuffs", 1 on the rear bumper and one one the rear fender and the smashed tail light assy. and pushed forward rear quarter, (which was repaired through insurance-$1700), all in 7 months! To think that she drove the "old" car for 8 years without an at fault mishap-WTF?
I held my cool and said, "listen, next week the weather is supposed to be nice, so we'll go out and practice backing up." It's my last attempt before I hide the keys and banish her to the "old car". She says I care more about the car than her. I have been married for a long time. I just got the car. I'm just sayin'.

Sorry to rant on and semi - jack your thread.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by spock
Yea, that sucks. Are you really going to ding your brother for a rental car?
He offered, doesn't matter now that he turned it in to his insurance company. They will put me in a rental.

My brother understands that in my business (detailer), I can't cheap out on cosmetic repairs to my car. Accidents happen, that's why you carry insurance. If it was reversed and I backed into his car, I'd do the same.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:29 PM

Aw man, sorry to see that happen to such a nicely kept Maxima Scott. As the car in the picture is dirty though, I can't bring myself to believe it's yours anyway though.

PS, I bought a Dewalt 849 off Craigslist a few days ago, as per your recommendation. I've been looking up videos on the internet and reading all I can about how NOT to take clearcoat off with this monster. The funny thing is the first video I see explaining the proper way to use a rotary on You tube is your's!

Anyway I tried it out on my wife's '91 Maxima and it made the part of the hood I used it on look WAY better. I'm now just worried about taking too much clearcoat off. Luckily I ended up buying a paint thickness gauge a few weeks back as HF had it marked down to $9.50. It makes a difference having a better idea of just how much the Dewalt is eating through.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Dropped my car off at the body shop this morning. My brother's insurance company put me in a Pontiac G6. Kind of a bland driving experience but it is pretty quiet. My car should be ready on Thursday. Probably going to have some (if not all, depending on cost) of the door dings removed too.