5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tokico HP Blues for 2010 - Where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 PM

I recently called Dave B and theres another thread floating around with recent prices of the parts in the diagram above in THIS thread. I'm not sure if theyre similiar to the "prices" you have listed with THIS same diagram in this thread ROCH.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54

Dave B, and to my local Nissan OEM guy, here are the prices.

#5 16.68 Dave B all per pair
#7 78.28 Dave B
#8 20.04 Dave B
#10 36.60 Dave B
#12 35.04 Dave B
#13 27.32 Dave B
#15 21.28 Dave B all in US dollars of course... so 235 US to do both sides!!!
If anyone plans on replacing all of it, they might as well start looking at coilovers.

Ksports, Megans, and D2s are all i the $800-$900 price range.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by PininFarina456
If anyone plans on replacing all of it, they might as well start looking at coilovers.

Ksports, Megans, and D2s are all i the $800-$900 price range.
I am not going to disagree with your other option, and as I stated in the original posting the pricing was given last summer when there was a discussion on parts to replace so the pricing is quit old and only a gauge as well the pricing is related to replacing with OEM parts, which as we all know can be quit dear in pricing when compared to what is available in aftermarket.

So please only use the info as a guide, which was all it was intended for.

Last edited by Ghost_54; 02-08-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:45 AM

Re-reading this thread, I think some good info actually worked its way in, so even though I finally bought the struts yesterday, I won't delete the thread... just let it fade away.

Besides, I really want to hear back from the other 2 members who are doing their HP install before I am. That would make for interesting reading.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 AM

So, where'd you get 'em, and what'd you pay Rochester?!

....inquiring minds.....

I SO need to do this....uh, right AFTER the FI Cleaning!!

i SO want a new car.

gr
Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
So, where'd you get 'em, and what'd you pay Rochester?!
From the eBay tip that PuppetMaster suggested. The store is "Motorsports Direct":

http://stores.ebay.com/Motorsports-Direct

I paid $313; zero tax; free shipping.

You know, I don't think I ever said this, but there's nothing actually wrong with my original struts. They work just fine, but are 7 years old, and I want that new-suspension feel with a slight upgrade. I suppose I could sell them online here... Do you think anyone would want 2003 SE struts with 56,000 miles on them? If so, what's a fair value?

(For those of you who didn't know -- the struts on the SE were actually OEM manufactured by Tokico for Nissan, and were not the same struts as those that went on the GLE and GXE.)
Old 02-09-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
I SO need to do this....uh, right AFTER the FI Cleaning!!
OMG, you still haven't done that yet? Man, that whole discussion about FI cleaning between you and I... that's so last year.

Get off your butt and take car of your car, GhostRider.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 AM

Yeah - I know man....I feel so, cheap and duplicitous!!

Kinda put it on the back burner until I had a little more cash in the bank...oh, and then there's that whole V-Day thing coming-up to put another dent in my wallet.

If I had an extra $300, I think I'd buy these HP's today!

Thanks for the info.

gr

Originally Posted by Rochester
OMG, you still haven't done that yet? Man, that whole discussion about FI cleaning between you and I... that's so last year.

Get off your butt and take car of your car, GhostRider.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:39 PM

Hey 5th gen's. Dont want to thread hijack but you can follow my progress on a similiar upgrade here. I'll have pictures as the progress continues, should be getting in the shocks and struts next week and the install will be friday the 18th.

http://forums.maxima.org/advanced-su...s-upgrade.html
Old 02-13-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy Toes
Hey 5th gen's. Dont want to thread hijack but you can follow my progress on a similiar upgrade here. I'll have pictures as the progress continues, should be getting in the shocks and struts next week and the install will be friday the 18th.

http://forums.maxima.org/advanced-su...s-upgrade.html
I appreciate the heads-up. Subscribed and watching.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm considering Tein S Techs springs with Tokico Illuminas. If anybody has this set-up please let me know how the ride is and post pics if possible. If i don't get a response within a few days I'll likely be ordering them and post a review and some pics of the finished product.

Last edited by Anity; 02-13-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Anity
I'm considering Tein S Techs springs with Tokico Blues or maybe KYB struts. If anybody has this set-up please let me know how the ride is and post pics if possible. If i don't get a response within a few days I'll likely be ordering them and post a review and some pics of the finished product.
Please participate in threads until you can start your own. It's not hard.

Classic hijack.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry for the hi-jack Rochester, I'm new, obviously, and didn't intend to.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:42 PM

In the next 2 weeks, I'm going to order a full set of Tokico HP Blues. They'll be riding on stock springs, with MOOG front mounts. It seems the average eBay pricing for a new set is $330 shipped.

I know that "where to buy" threads are almost immediately out-dated. So with that in mind, I promise to delete this thread after buying the Blues.

But for the next couple of weeks, does anyone have any leads?

Don't forget about the Bing Ebay BIN discount! Currently it's at 8%. I checked last week and it was at 10%. It fluctuates all the time though.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what exactly is the bing ebay BIN discount?
Old 02-13-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Anity
what exactly is the bing ebay BIN discount?
http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/howtouse.aspx

Oh and Rochester, I forgot to ask. How come you're not getting springs?
Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

is there any major difference in ride quality between the HP blues and Illuminas?
Old 02-13-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 02maxdude
is there any major difference in ride quality between the HP blues and Illuminas?
It's not really a fair comparison, because Illuminas have adjustable dampening. Meaning you can make the ride as tight (harsh) or as loose (soft) as you want. Although there's probably a setting on the Illuminas that approximates the fixed dampening characteristics of the HP Blues. But that's just conjecture on my part.

To continue the point on differences... Coilovers have adjustable dampening and height (to lower your stance). And coilovers with pillowball mounts can adjust for camber (angle).
Old 02-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ahh i see...reason i ask is because i recently installed the HP's and im not to happy with it. IMO it feels like im driving my old civic with blown suspension and not my beloved maxima or maybe i was the unlucky one to receive defective HP's. so im considering on switching to the Illuminas.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

forgot to mention im using tien h-tech springs..
Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 PM

ahh i see...reason i ask is because i recently installed the HP's and im not to happy with it. IMO it feels like im driving my old civic with blown suspension and not my beloved maxima or maybe i was the unlucky one to receive defective HP's. so im considering on switching to the Illuminas.
Oh, snap! Well, I guess I'll find out for myself in a couple months.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 PM

02 maxdude, did you replace any other parts when replacing the suspension? Or was it just the shock and struts swap out. Have any pics of the install?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

no i didnt replace anything else...maybe thats the reason for the not so good ride ....hmm...is it important to change or cut those strut covers? nah sorry tippy toes i didnt get to take any pics. ill b sure to take some when i switch to the illuminas.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:41 AM

I don't recall the spring rates on the H-techs, but I know they were less aggressive than the S-techs (slam-ola!).
Methinks the H-techs are too stiff for the Blues....blues are pretty mellow, so I'm told.
Illuminas on a higher setting, might be a better match for the H-techs.

I didn't replace ENUFF parts of my suspension last time i switched, namely the strut hat seats, and bellows (boot + bumpstops).
I suspect i may need new inner/outer ties rods too, but not sure until I get in there and mess-about with the parts.

Depending on your mileage, you may want to consider replacing some of the aformentioned bits and pieces when you swap to Illuminas, just to keep things "tight".

gr
Old 02-15-2010, 07:51 AM

no i didnt replace anything else...maybe thats the reason for the not so good ride ....hmm...is it important to change or cut those strut covers? nah sorry tippy toes i didnt get to take any pics. ill b sure to take some when i switch to the illuminas.
Trimming the BUMP STOPS on the bellows (dust boots) is only necessary if you have lowered your ride height more than, i'll say 1.5".
With the extra (stock) length of rubber (bumpstop) there is less travel in the stroke of the strut from top to bottom, and you'll make contact with the top of the mount sooner.

If you are bottoming-out excessively, then regardless of the drop, it's probablly a good idea to trim about .5"-1" off the solid rubber bumpstop at the top of the boots.

With my progress/illumina combo -- even after trimming the bumps, i was still bottoming-out EXCESSIVELY....it was terrible -- but handled SO GOOD!!

gr
Old 02-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im having the same problem. it feels like the two front struts are bottoming out on every bump i hit, thats probably because didnt trim the bump stops right..? i just want to lower the car a bit but still maintain a smooth ride.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:01 PM

i just want to lower the car a bit but still maintain a smooth ride.
Those plans seem mutually exclusive.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 AM

i like adjustable illuminas for $100 more
Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 AM

im having the same problem. it feels like the two front struts are bottoming out on every bump i hit, thats probably because didnt trim the bump stops right..? i just want to lower the car a bit but still maintain a smooth ride.
YOu need to go do a bit of searching on h-techs and spring rates to find out what the other guys are recommending that have these springs.
This thread isn't really about how to trim bumpstops or how h-techs handle.
Sorry dude.

gr
Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i shall do so thanks for the help
Old 02-25-2010, 04:40 AM

My Blues finally showed up yesterday. It took a while, but since I'm not installing until April, it doesn't really matter.

Fantastic price. Very happy. Can't wait for the install.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My Blues finally showed up yesterday. It took a while, but since I'm not installing until April, it doesn't really matter.

Please update when installed. I my blues on my car for about 2 years and I loved the way the fronts felt but the rears sucked. The rear end didnt feel planted at all. They are not stiff enough in the rear and the car never felt right. Even when you push on the rear end by hand it was way to soft feeling. The stock shocks feel better to me. I guess blues should be used with lowering springs instead of oem springs. I sold them to another org member who has lowering springs and he loves them.....
Old 02-25-2010, 05:56 AM

HEy Bondo --

Could you clarify as to what springs/tires/wheels/ and other susp mods you were running with your Blues??

Give us the full monty so we can compare apples to apples.

gr
Old 02-25-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Please update when installed. I my blues on my car for about 2 years and I loved the way the fronts felt but the rears sucked. The rear end didnt feel planted at all. They are not stiff enough in the rear and the car never felt right. Even when you push on the rear end by hand it was way to soft feeling. The stock shocks feel better to me. I guess blues should be used with lowering springs instead of oem springs. I sold them to another org member who has lowering springs and he loves them.....
I plan on sharing my assessment come April.

From everything I've read here (exhaustively), the overall opinion is that Blues work best with OEM springs. So I don't know what to do with your experience; it feels upside-down. I'm not saying it's mistaken - not at all. It just conflicts with the general consensus.

I'll bump this thread again mid-April.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:08 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

UPDATES????

(lol)
Old 02-25-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
UPDATES?
OK, funny guy. Clearly struts that are just barely better than stock won't help your quarter-mile monster go any faster.

But for those of us who drive their Maxima to the office every day, and their kids to dance class... well, you get the point.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 AM

I got them yesterday as well, its a huge box for struts. I have putting them on with HR springs. Hopefully it will turn out great!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I plan on sharing my assessment come April.

From everything I've read here (exhaustively), the overall opinion is that Blues work best with OEM springs. So I don't know what to do with your experience; it feels upside-down. I'm not saying it's mistaken - not at all. It just conflicts with the general consensus.

I'll bump this thread again mid-April.
The research I did said exactly what your saying. Everything I read said blues are 5-10% stiffer than stock so I was suprised to find out that's not the case. They do ride better than stock because of the better dampening quality. I figured better dampening quality=stiffer shocks, but that's not true. I never had any problems with them during my ownership unlike my year old OE shock that is now blown..
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 PM

So bumping up this thread, I finally installed the blues a week ago and heres a few pictures. It was my first time and installation took longer than everyone I bet. Having the correct tools and impact gun is highly recommanded. One of the 8 years old rear strut bolt was PITA to take it out. Overall I am happy with them and not bad for price overall. Rochester and others, you won't be disappointed!

Stuff...

HP blues strut/HR springs

Before

After

Old 03-23-2010, 05:25 AM

6spd -
Good onya M8!
It might be a little early, but how about some driving impressions of the new setup?
Pls tell your tire size/brand too with psi's, and any other susp. mods you have on the car - just for comparison's sake.

I'm wanting to get some blues on my h&r's as well....hoping they get rid of the sloppiness I'm feeling with my current OEM/H&R combo.
It's just "jittery" all the time, and I want it to be smoooove.

thks,
gr

Quick Reply: Tokico HP Blues for 2010 - Where to buy?