5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

rear brake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 PM

rear brake question

I have a rear caliper that is dragging a little so i am going to replace both rear calipers, rotors and pads. When I look at pads there are pads specified for cars produces before 10/00 and after 10/00. I'm assuming the calipers i am going to be replacing with with be whatever the updated design was so i should be getting the after 10/00 pads right?

For clarification my car is built in like 11/99 I believe but for sure before 10/00
Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 PM

bump, i would love to be able to get all the parts ordered tonight
Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 AM

My dad went through this on his 2k. I wish I remember what the differences were.

I wouldn't order the "newer" style parts just yet. Either do some research, or wait til someone else chimes in, but I remember having to get the VIN on my dads car to get his brakes done properly.. (Back then, he bought all his stuff from the dealer)
Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

The cut-off is 6/01 I believe. Get whatever parts match your production date.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:18 PM

on tire rack the cuttoff for is 10/00. I ran into this when i had to replace my clutch slave cylinder. Nissan updated the design and the newer one replaced the older one. When i look for calipers i dont see any differentiation between before or after 10/00 anywhere.

here is the tirerack link: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...0&autoModClar=

I already ordered things because last time i drove my maxima i was about 40 miles away from home and noticed what felt like a flat tire. I got out of my car and walked around it and just standing next to the right rear tire i could feel the heat coming off the rotor. I let it cool and continued driving and it didn't bind up or head up the rest of the way home but i need to get everything replaced asap.

Anyway i went ahead and ordered new rotors, and a set of after 10/00 pads. As soon as i get my calipers off i'll go get new ones since there is a $75 core on each of them and i will be able to tell for sure if i should have gotten the pre or post 10/00 pads and i'll let you guys know. I'll try and take some pics of the differences in the pads too
Old 03-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

What is your production date? You should have bought parts based on that...
Old 03-25-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
What is your production date? You should have bought parts based on that...
Here is my reasoning. The last experience I had with this was with my slave cylinder for my clutch, where nissan updated the design which became the new replacement for all previous years, in that case it was backwards compatible all the way back to 95.

I have a feeling nissan updated the calipers and the caliper i am going to be getting is going to be the post 10/00 design which will take the post 10/00 pads making my production date irrelevant. Also when i called around for caliper prices none of the parts stores even gave me an option for pre or post 10/00
Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 AM

You're supposed to use the parts specifically for your production date range. That means for pre 10/00 gen 5's you get pre 10/00 calipers. For post 10/00 you get post 10/00 calipers. If the maker of the pads differentiates, then get those for your date range too.

Why? Because Nissan could have replaced their ABS assembly, master cylinder, or any other brake components at that time, and if you mix and match you may be moving too much or too little brake fluid into the caliper when you apply the brake.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
You're supposed to use the parts specifically for your production date range. That means for pre 10/00 gen 5's you get pre 10/00 calipers. For post 10/00 you get post 10/00 calipers. If the maker of the pads differentiates, then get those for your date range too.

Why? Because Nissan could have replaced their ABS assembly, master cylinder, or any other brake components at that time, and if you mix and match you may be moving too much or too little brake fluid into the caliper when you apply the brake.
I may be wrong but aren't the abs sensors on the hub?

Also people do brake swaps all the time to 6th gen brakes or the 300zx dual piston caliper bbk setups without doing anything to the components upstream without problems.

I completely agree in theory but even when i call the nissan dealership they don't give me an option of different calipers and the parts guy couldn't find any further information regarding it when i bring it up. Worst case i send the wrong pads back to tire rack and pick up another set here in town, lesson learned and everybody here will know for the future but until then i guess i'll just have to wait until my parts show up.

by the way the nissan dealer wants $380 per caliper just for the part no installation
Old 04-12-2010, 01:45 PM

ok, so here is what i learned. The calipers are the same for all years at production dates. The part that is different is the piece that holds the pads in place for the caliper to compress. It is the piece that you take off with the 17mm bolts and is not part of what you get when you purchase new calipers. (at least from auto zone, rock auto shows them as part of what you get. The pre 10/00 pads have wider side tabs other than that they are identical.

I just ended up running back to auto zone and buying the right pads locally so i have a set of Satisfied Pro Ceramic VS Pads for models made after 10/00 that I paid $35 for that i need to sell I will sell them for $30 shipped. you can see them here: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...0&autoModClar=
Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Okay if your referring to the oo maxima you can use the one that says after 10/00 from tire rack I have the same one I bought my caliper from autozone $75 and my rotors from tirerack and hps pads that stated after 10/00 and they was a direct replacement so it should be a problem and to be honest I order pads from other sites before and they never ask anything about pre/post dates but like I said they fit can even show the pics
Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Sorry don't want anyone to get confused I said they should be a problem .......meant to type they shouldn't be a problem. ......and right after I put the caliper and pads on spray painted them both blue look sexy with the brembo slotted ill put a pic in my profile so y'all can see
Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by reminessin
Okay if your referring to the oo maxima you can use the one that says after 10/00 from tire rack I have the same one I bought my caliper from autozone $75 and my rotors from tirerack and hps pads that stated after 10/00 and they was a direct replacement so it should be a problem and to be honest I order pads from other sites before and they never ask anything about pre/post dates but like I said they fit can even show the pics
The after 10/00 pads fit in the holders but the tabs on the side were smaller so they had a bit of play up and down. I bet they probably would have stayed in there but i wasn't willing to risk it for $40
Old 04-12-2010, 04:01 PM

So it work out good then rite? U got the before one rite? And u said the after one's clip is smaller funny because my hold them good in there owell as long as it works and its secure I guess
Old 04-12-2010, 04:19 PM

Well I put the pic in their take a look if u will
Old 04-12-2010, 04:43 PM

Well I put the pic in their take a look if u will
I didnt see any pictures of your rear brakes...

So it work out good then rite? U got the before one rite? And u said the after one's clip is smaller funny because my hold them good in there owell as long as it works and its secure I guess
I bought both the pre 10/00 and post 10/00 pads when all was said and done. the only difference between the two was the width of the "wings" on the side the pre 10/00 being wider. The post 10/00 pads fit in my holder but had a lot of play to them so i got the right pads and now everything is fine
Old 04-12-2010, 05:34 PM

Whoops sorry wrong pic ill put the rear on there also .......well at least everyone know what to get now