5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to remove the Automatic Climate Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:19 PM

How to remove the Automatic Climate Control Module?

Okay, searching the forum isn't getting it done for me. I'm seeing numerous discussions about changing the bulbs once the module is out of the car but I need some help getting the module out of the car first! This is on the 2002 GLE.

I removed the glove box and the kick panel on the passenger's side of the center console but that doesn't seem to give me much access to the module. I found a screw hiding under the ashtray but it didn't really do much either. It looks like I need to remove the wood trim around the shifter first but don't want to force the thing and end up breaking it. The parts diagram I was looking at suggests that the wood trim has some tabs underneath that hold it in place. Do I simply place something under one edge of the trim and start prying?

I found a sticky on replacing the bulbs but the link seems to be broken.

Thanks!

Last edited by slo-ryde; 05-29-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:01 PM

You start out as if you are removing the radio. You have to pop up the plastic plate that covers the top of the center console around the shift lever. Start by removing the ash tray and there is a phillips screw that you remove. Use a flat screw driver (BE careful - scratches) to pry up the rear corners. there are clips on the sides maybe an inch from the rear corner and another clip (both sides) approx at the front of the shift lever opening. Disconnect wires for ash tray light and cigarette lighter. then the plastic piece around the radio and climate control (The bezel) comes off with a screw in each corner. But the top 2 screws are hidden by the piece with the air vents in it. There are clips just like the piece on the console you removed, so pry up the corners of the air vent piece with a screw driver. The radio and climate control sections are attached to the bezel when you lift it off/out.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You start out as if you are removing the radio. You have to pop up the plastic plate that covers the top of the center console around the shift lever. Start by removing the ash tray and there is a phillips screw that you remove. Use a flat screw driver (BE careful - scratches) to pry up the rear corners. there are clips on the sides maybe an inch from the rear corner and another clip (both sides) approx at the front of the shift lever opening. Disconnect wires for ash tray light and cigarette lighter. then the plastic piece around the radio and climate control (The bezel) comes off with a screw in each corner. But the top 2 screws are hidden by the piece with the air vents in it. There are clips just like the piece on the console you removed, so pry up the corners of the air vent piece with a screw driver. The radio and climate control sections are attached to the bezel when you lift it off/out.
Thanks for the info! I'm a little unclear on the bezel part, on my car it looks like the climate control and the 6 CD stereo have separate bezels on them. But maybe it's really just a single bezel?

Also, on the center vents (top of the stack) do I simply pry straight up along the bottom edge to get it loose?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 PM

the bezel part around the radio and climate controls is one piece. calling it a trim piece or a bezel is somewhat mis-leading. its more like a frame holding the other parts.
Also to make things a little clear, when I say remove the ashtray, you have to take the entire tilting door out, not the little "bucket". When you open the ashtray, you will see a screw on one of the top corners, which you remove. then the other side of the ashtray assembly is held in by a "pop" catch that you have to pull out on. For me, this is the hardest part of the job.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
the bezel part around the radio and climate controls is one piece. calling it a trim piece or a bezel is somewhat mis-leading. its more like a frame holding the other parts.
Also to make things a little clear, when I say remove the ashtray, you have to take the entire tilting door out, not the little "bucket". When you open the ashtray, you will see a screw on one of the top corners, which you remove. then the other side of the ashtray assembly is held in by a "pop" catch that you have to pull out on. For me, this is the hardest part of the job.
I'm guessing we have slightly different configurations? On my car the two modules have their own bezels and I can see a gap between them. I'm going to get some pictures once I have all of this torn apart and I'll post them here.

I managed to remove the wood trim around the shifter once I found a good place to start prying on it. Getting the first clip to pop loose was the hard part but I have that off now and didn't need to remove the tilting door part of the ashtray.

Now I see two screws that are holding the bottom part of what looks like a sheet metal frame, with these screws removed I can pull out slightly on the lower end of the frame and the climate control and stereo move as a unit. I managed to lift up the center vents enough to peek in there and can see the two screws holding the top of the sheet metal frame. But I'm not having much luck getting the center vent to come free. With the kick panels off I can just barely see what looks like a clip on the inside of the vent assembly but don't have any way of getting to it. From what I'm seeing so far it looks like the vent assembly needs to be pulled straight back to release it from the dash but I just don't have anything to grab.

I'll give it another go in the morning when I have better light.

Last edited by slo-ryde; 05-29-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 PM

Found this article showing center vent removal

http://www.tss-radio.com/images/NS-50-00.pdf

I just checked this on my car and the two clips are visible when looking directly into the vent openings. It looks like I'll need to pry the clips up on both sides to release the vent assembly. Then the stereo and climate control modules will come out as a unit.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:10 PM

As for getting the top center vents off.... Just pull.... Hard.

The clips on the vents are extremely rigid and nothing but force gets that piece off.

I have had mine off a few times. Have not broken or damaged anything from pulling hard.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by CraigSE
As for getting the top center vents off.... Just pull.... Hard.

The clips on the vents are extremely rigid and nothing but force gets that piece off.

I have had mine off a few times. Have not broken or damaged anything from pulling hard.
I just can't find anything to grab hold of when pulling on the vent. I found a nice article showing the location of the tabs and how to get to them from inside the vent openings so I'll give that a go in the morning.

I'll post some pictures once I get everything disassembled.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by slo-ryde
I just can't find anything to grab hold of when pulling on the vent. I found a nice article showing the location of the tabs and how to get to them from inside the vent openings so I'll give that a go in the morning.

I'll post some pictures once I get everything disassembled.

Thanks!
get a flat head screwdriver warped with cloth pop it open.
use same way for the shifter trim too. remember to remove a screw inside your ash tray before you start to pop the shift trim.
and FYI, no need to remove the glove box.

heres a write up of how to remove your headunit and aircon control
http://www.shiftice.com/Maxima_02-03...dio_repair.pdf

Last edited by jasonmax; 05-30-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:30 PM

Success!

Originally Posted by jasonmax
get a flat head screwdriver warped with cloth pop it open.
use same way for the shifter trim too. remember to remove a screw inside your ash tray before you start to pop the shift trim.
and FYI, no need to remove the glove box.

heres a write up of how to remove your headunit and aircon control
http://www.shiftice.com/Maxima_02-03...dio_repair.pdf
Thanks for the link. I know it sounds simple but if you've never had the trim off it's hard to know just where to pry or pull on these things. And most of this trim is expensive to replace if it ends up broken. I had the glove box out to wash the cabin filters and thought it might help me find some clues on how to get the vent assembly out. The kick panel on the right side of the console was another thing I pulled off in the search for clues.

After a little research and some serious eyeballing I could see how the center vent is designed to be removed (it is pulled straight out of the dash). It took a few minutes and several screwdrivers but I finally have the center vent assembly out of the car. Now that I have it on the desk it's easy to see why it puts up a fight. It has a total of six springy tabs holding it in and two on the bottom appear to need a special tool to retract them during the removal process. This might be something for the dealer to remove in the future if I ever end up tearing the center stack out again.

So, now that I have the climate control assembly in my bloody hands the rest is a walk in the park. I'm guessing the local Nissan dealer will have to special order these bulbs.

Thanks to everyone for the help and hints!

Last edited by slo-ryde; 05-31-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

There's a video on youtube on how to replace the stero on a 2000 Nissan Maxima. It easy to follow and works for 00-03 models.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nucho
There's a video on youtube on how to replace the stero on a 2000 Nissan Maxima. It easy to follow and works for 00-03 models.
Cool! I never thought of checking youtube. My center vent was much harder to remove than the one in the video though. It took some serious prying and pulling to get it out.

I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to pick up some bulbs and will ask how the techs remove the vent.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlp2KuWpoFI
Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by djshwini
Sic Video for people who dont know how to do a radio or take out the whole center console!!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 PM

i know its a old tread but very helpfull
Old 02-17-2013, 02:25 AM
RR5

Put rags over the trim for the shifter and you can rest the entire radio + bracket on that, helps to remove the wire harness clips if you don't have to also hold it up.