5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM

Transmission problems...

I think my throw-out bearing is gone. If I push the clutch pedal down, the car makes a very loud squeaking noise (sounds like really bad belt squeak) if I release the clutch and leave the car in neutral, no noise. When I push in the clutch and put it in gear, the car will violently jerk/shake when I go to take off. I almost have to give it more gas; else the engine will die.

Pretty sure this is the symptom of a really bad throw-out bearing, but I just want to make sure it's not the pilot bearing.

If it is the tob, then I'll just go ahead and order a new one, clutch and pressure plate. Resurface/check the fly wheel or maybe just order a lightweight aluminum one. Not sure if those are recommended for our cars or not.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:12 PM

Something else I forgot to mention, symptom wise. If I press in the clutch pedal while the car is idling, it puts a load on the motor, almost killing it. Which should do just the opposite.

Transmission in neutral, clutch pedal up. Nothing seems wrong.
Press the clutch in, squeaking noise that's really, extraordinarily loud plus the motors gets loaded and wants to die. Transmission still in neutral.

I'm thinking I'm just going to replace the pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and the throw out bearing. Shouldn't take no more than a day.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 PM

The bearing is definitely fubar, the fact that it loads the engine when you step on the clutch makes me think the thing had seized up and does not spin. If that's true, inspect the pressure plate that there is not excessive wear from the bearing. If your not grinding gears when shifting, the flywheel and pilot bearing are most likely ok.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The bearing is definitely fubar, the fact that it loads the engine when you step on the clutch makes me think the thing had seized up and does not spin. If that's true, inspect the pressure plate that there is not excessive wear from the bearing. If your not grinding gears when shifting, the flywheel and pilot bearing are most likely ok.
Well I just tried to leave from a friends house today, to head back home. The car would NOT shift into any gear while the car was running. I had to turn the car off, then put it in the gear I need, then start the car. I basically just made a lap around his driveway and got him to give me a ride home.

Prior to this, it didn't really give me any trouble. I do have a small leak somewhere in the hydraulics, so I had to bleed the clutch every 2 - 3 months if I didn't keep an eye on the fluid level.

One thing I did notice, usually when going through a drive through and that's the faint "hmming" coming from the transmission. Pretty sure it made the noise if the car was in neutral and I didn't have my foot on the clutch. Once I pressed the clutch in, it went away. Pretty sure that was the noise of the throw-out bearing, early warning signs that it's going to go out soon.

If the TOB is seized to the input shaft...am I looking at having to replace the input shaft? If I can get it off, would it be ok? The car has 145k miles on it and I've owned it since ~60k miles and I have never replaced anything in the transmission. So I'm pretty sure it's probably due for a clutch replacement.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Anyone used the EXEDY OEM clutch kits?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:37 PM

im having the exact same problem. Clutch pressed squealing noise. im hearing an occasional pop as well..help
Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by seshead
im having the exact same problem. Clutch pressed squealing noise. im hearing an occasional pop as well..help
I am 99.9% positive it's the throw-out bearing.

I ordered clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and MT-90 today. Will be tearing her down Monday or Tuesday to replace it all. I will most likely take lots of pictures when I do this, unless my sister doesn't give me my camera back!

Basically, if you press in the clutch the shift fork pushes the throw-out bearing against the rotating pressure plate, to disengage the clutch. This bearing is designed to move with the pressure plate, so if it becomes damaged it'll cause problems and noises when you press the clutch in.

I think my problem is a little worse though, as mentioned before, the throw-out bearing is seized up. So when it makes contact with the pressure-plate, it doesn't want to move and slows down the pressure plate as well, which causes the load on the engine and also aids in the abrupt/violent shaking that occurs when it goes into gear. One thing is wanting to stop it, the other is wanting to turn it.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 PM

The throw-out bearing was TOASTED! Came out in like 20 pieces.