Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/617908-what-do-you-do-make-your-engine-look-pretty.html)

Rochester 10-12-2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz (Post 7771596)
I've been in touch with Terry from zeetoyz. Since he lives so close we are going to test fit the 03 z caps on my car. I'll keep you posted

If I lived in the same town as this guy, I'd be doing the same thing. It's a good opportunity, getting a hands-on opinion about something, instead of just pictures on the inter-webs.

knight_yyz 10-12-2010 08:50 PM

Hopefully I will have time wednesday morning to meet him. I have a few things to do but if time permits I will meet and take a few pics

maxima dude 10-12-2010 09:41 PM

i got sumtin instore for you guys soon... i might do it soon or in the spring...my bay will look like new ;)

jowo9 10-12-2010 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by maxima dude (Post 7772409)
i got sumtin instore for you guys soon... i might do it soon or in the spring...my bay will look like new ;)

Well tell us what it is!!! Don't leave us hangin' like that! :(

maxima dude 10-13-2010 04:23 AM

^^^ loll i cant that wuld ruin the surprise...and no it doesnt consist of takin my motor out and cleaning it or anything like that ;)

Rochester 10-13-2010 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by maxima dude (Post 7772620)
^^^ loll i cant that wuld ruin the surprise...and no it doesnt consist of takin my motor out and cleaning it or anything like that ;)

Ruin the surprise? You think you're the first person to glue Justice League action figures to your engine cover?

I don't think so. :squint:

rroderiques77 10-13-2010 06:46 AM

BTW John, DressUpBolts does sell the M8 master cylinder nuts which do happen to be 1.25 pitch in different types of colors. I went ahead and ordered gold. I also ordered new fender bolts (stainless Allen with black plastic washers).

Rochester 10-13-2010 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77 (Post 7772705)
BTW John, DressUpBolts does sell the M8 master cylinder nuts which do happen to be 1.25 pitch in different types of colors. I went ahead and ordered gold. I also ordered new fender bolts (stainless Allen with black plastic washers).

I believe the main Negative Cable is bolted to a tranny bracket with a M8 Nut, as is one of the main water pipes to the engine on the transmission side. But with all your turbo hardware, you might not be seeing the tranny-side of the block.

How about replacing the three M8 bolts on your VIAS plate to match the DressUpBolts.com hardware?

Black plastic washers? :p Show me.

Rochester 10-13-2010 04:52 PM

This is probably the first and last time I'll ever be in a position to say this, but I just painted my dipstick. :nervous:

Krylon semi-gloss black for plastics. Very stealth now, and one less thing yellow.

rroderiques77 10-13-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 7772710)
I believe the main Negative Cable is bolted to a tranny bracket with a M8 Nut, as is one of the main water pipes to the engine on the transmission side. But with all your turbo hardware, you might not be seeing the tranny-side of the block.

How about replacing the three M8 bolts on your VIAS plate to match the DressUpBolts.com hardware?

Black plastic washers? :p Show me.

Yeah. The main water pipe and neg. cable nuts are buried and not worth my time replacing them. I can barely see them. I actually like the look of the stainless bolts on the VIAS. I will show you why later.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/2...ackwashers.jpg

rroderiques77 10-13-2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 7773447)
This is probably the first and last time I'll ever be in a position to say this, but I just painted my dipstick. :nervous:

Krylon semi-gloss black for plastics. Very stealth now, and one less thing yellow.

Join the club. I have my dipstick painted as well. Black that is :D

jowo9 10-13-2010 05:25 PM

I just did a bunch of engine cleaning today... man it's hard to keep that thing clean when it's a daily driver! I tried some steel wool on the timing chain cover area (I think). It isn't perfect, but looks better now. And I cleaned my front valve cover as much as possible. Then I did that throttle body wire thing that you did Rochester, with new wire loom. Ran it directly under the engine cover. Relocated the wire that's mounted to the passenger strut tower and filled the holes with some black plastic hole plugs.

Every time I look at that engine bay, I am overwhelmed with the crazy amount of things I could do to it to make it look better. I guess an 8 year old DD will show some oxidation/rust/wear pretty much everywhere. I'm not gonna stress if it's not perfect (which it is FAR from). Oxidized pipes and rusted bolts are just a part of life I guess :)

Rochester 10-13-2010 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9 (Post 7773478)
Then I did that throttle body wire thing that you did Rochester, with new wire loom. Ran it directly under the engine cover. Relocated the wire that's mounted to the passenger strut tower and filled the holes with some black plastic hole plugs.

You're talking about that tuck thread. Yeah, that was fun stuff.

Originally Posted by jowo9 (Post 7773478)
Every time I look at that engine bay, I am overwhelmed with the crazy amount of things I could do to it to make it look better. I guess an 8 year old DD will show some oxidation/rust/wear pretty much everywhere. I'm not gonna stress if it's not perfect (which it is FAR from). Oxidized pipes and rusted bolts are just a part of life I guess :)

Sounds familiar. It wasn't until this summer that I got this nuts about detailing the engine bay, and it wasn't until this thread. Sure, I had done a few things almost unintentionally, but nothing like recent efforts.

So, anyway, I blame you, jowo9. :squint: It's all your fault.

Oh, and I want pictures. Let's see this work.

ctsmith39 10-13-2010 05:52 PM

Now those sure are purrrrdy looking bolts

Rochester 10-14-2010 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77 (Post 7773464)
Join the club. I have my dipstick painted as well. Black that is :D

I'd take a photo, but the front IVT sensor and front VC bolts are all seriously corroded. Still trying to figure out what to do about the VC bolts. :slant:

And besides... it's a dipstick.

vball_max 10-14-2010 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 7773944)
I'd take a photo, but the front IVT sensor and front VC bolts are all seriously corroded. Still trying to figure out what to do about the VC bolts. :slant:

And besides... it's a dipstick.

Its alright John.....we really dont need pictures of your dipstick..... :eek:

zero2sixtyZ 10-14-2010 07:10 AM

:laugh:

Rochester 10-14-2010 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by vball_max (Post 7773962)

Uh oh. That reads like a double-dog dare.

rroderiques77 10-14-2010 09:00 AM

Man, trying to plug all the holes in the engine bay is a task in itself. Going to need tons of different size hole plugs. They do make a difference though.

jowo9 10-14-2010 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by vball_max (Post 7773962)

Go ahead and ask him about his knob :) maybe you can get him to post pics of that too hehe. I heard it's getting a bit worn down :wall: ;)

(sorry John, couldn't resist)

vball_max 10-14-2010 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77 (Post 7774152)
Man, trying to plug all the holes in the engine bay is a task in itself. Going to need tons of different size hole plugs. They do make a difference though.

Maybe you could use Rochester's dipstick to plug your holes?

:hide:

Rochester 10-14-2010 10:10 AM

:facepalm:

vball_max 10-14-2010 10:17 AM

sorry John.......that one was waaaayyyyy too easy. :laugh:

zero2sixtyZ 10-14-2010 10:21 AM

Okay, this is where I leave the conference room.

Rochester 10-14-2010 10:22 AM

I know, I know... dipsticks, shift knobs and hole plugs.

The jokes write themselves.

knight_yyz 10-14-2010 10:38 AM

Well, I met with Terry from zeetoyz today. The weather sucked but we were able to test fit a few things.
His washer cap fits as a replacement. The coolant reservoir is a little tight but not a problem in my book. The power steering cap he makes fits over the existing cap. You have to trim the tabs, but. That is how it works on the z as well to keep the seal.
He also makes an aluminum cover for the dipstick. He also has aluminum caps for the a/c lines.
We are meeting again tomorrow to test fit the brake and clutch caps. Oh, and he makes a really cool oil cap.
You can get polished, or anodized red or blue. You can check the www.zeetoyz.com website to seehis work. He will make sets for us without the z logo.
If anyone is interested in a set, I will start a g
auging interest thread and see if can get enoug
h guys to get a discount. Right now the washer,coolant and power steering caps go for 60 US.

knight_yyz 10-14-2010 10:44 AM

i forgot to mention that I'll be taking pix of everything on my car tomorrow. All colors.

trooplewis 10-14-2010 10:45 AM

I prefer a nicer lipstick shade than black...too Goth for me.

rroderiques77 10-14-2010 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by vball_max (Post 7774246)
Maybe you could use Rochester's dipstick to plug your holes?

:hide:

:laugh:

rroderiques77 10-14-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz (Post 7774281)
Well, I met with Terry from zeetoyz today. The weather sucked but we were able to test fit a few things.
His washer cap fits as a replacement. The coolant reservoir is a little tight but not a problem in my book. The power steering cap he makes fits over the existing cap. You have to trim the tabs, but. That is how it works on the z as well to keep the seal.
He also makes an aluminum cover for the dipstick. He also has aluminum caps for the a/c lines.
We are meeting again tomorrow to test fit the brake and clutch caps. Oh, and he makes a really cool oil cap.
You can get polished, or anodized red or blue. You can check the www.zeetoyz.com website to seehis work. He will make sets for us without the z logo.
If anyone is interested in a set, I will start a g
auging interest thread and see if can get enoug
h guys to get a discount. Right now the washer,coolant and power steering caps go for 60 US.

Does he have anything for the power steering reservoir? Other than the normal ugly chrome reservoirs that are all over E-bay?

knight_yyz 10-14-2010 12:50 PM

Just the caps AFAIK

Originally Posted by rroderiques77 (Post 7774362)
Does he have anything for the power steering reservoir? Other than the normal ugly chrome reservoirs that are all over E-bay?

knight_yyz 10-15-2010 09:16 AM

As promised, I met with Terry again today. Good news!! All his caps fit. I'll post pics when I get home tonight. I took pics with oil cap, coolant, washer, PS, brake, clutch, and oil dipstick cover. He had a full set of blue minus the clutch cap. Also took pictures with red for PS, washer and coolant caps only. He didn't have the other caps in red.

Who needs one of my intakes? Knight needs some blue caps lol

Forgot to mention he also has LP and HP a/c caps

Rochester 10-15-2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz (Post 7775707)
Who needs one of my intakes? Knight needs some blue caps lol

For those lurking in this thread and don't know what you're talking about... let's see pictures and prices for these mid-pipes you're selling.

jowo9 10-15-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 7775715)
For those lurking in this thread and don't know what you're talking about... let's see pictures and prices for these mid-pipes you're selling.

Yeah, that'd be nice. I'm getting a JWT Pop, but am still debating whether or not I want a midpipe, or to leave the stock Helmholtz resonator in place. So... many... decisions!!! :vqman:

knight_yyz 10-15-2010 08:44 PM

Ok, here are the pics of the caps installed on my car...For those with crappy monitors the color is almost identical to an 03 350Z

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...z/bluecaps.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p.../bluecaps2.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p.../bluecaps3.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...z/bluecaps.jpg

here are the red caps, he didn't have a full set on hand but you get the idea...

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...yz/redcaps.jpg

And here is a closeup of the dipstick cover in polished aluminum

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p.../bluecaps4.jpg

knight_yyz 10-15-2010 08:50 PM

Here is my short ram midpipe installed on another Maxima with an AEM dryflow filter
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10...resize%203.jpg

Here is my extra short ram for those who want to run a pop charger with a little more tube, or want to run an aftermarket velocity stack from BPI or Vibrant

https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/...4/IMG_1627.jpg

I don't have any installed pics for the 3.0 engine, but I make them for those guys as well

Pipes are 70 shipped from Canada. Wish I could go lower but it costs over 20 to ship these things.

knight_yyz 10-15-2010 09:16 PM

I'll be selling my greddy oil cap and buying everything this guy has for my car. I didn't take any pics of the A/C caps but hopefully when we work out a price for the whole set he'll have a few made up. I love the oil cap, it is easier to get undone, and no logo to get crooked.

Rochester 10-16-2010 05:21 AM

I like the oil cap insert, because I like the uniform look. And I think I like the dipstick cover, but I'm not sure. As to the plastic caps, the only one that's appealing to me is the washer fluid cover. The others seem somewhat bulbous.

IDK, Ray... there's something unnecessarily obvious about drawing attention to reservoir caps... which is why I'm going OEM black instead of this hideous yellow. However, it does all match nicely, what with the blue nuts & bolts you've been buying. And once you get your engine bay cleaned up, I'm sure it will all come together nicely.

After you buy your caps, I'd like to see more photos of this aluminum dipstick cover, please.

knight_yyz 10-16-2010 08:37 AM

http://www.zeetoyz.com/tn_RO-Z.jpg

remove the Z cutout

It's a two piece cover, has a "top" and a "bottom" which screw together

knight_yyz 10-16-2010 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 7777149)
I like the oil cap insert, because I like the uniform look. And I think I like the dipstick cover, but I'm not sure. As to the plastic caps, the only one that's appealing to me is the washer fluid cover. The others seem somewhat bulbous.

IDK, Ray... there's something unnecessarily obvious about drawing attention to reservoir caps... which is why I'm going OEM black instead of this hideous yellow. However, it does all match nicely, what with the blue nuts & bolts you've been buying. And once you get your engine bay cleaned up, I'm sure it will all come together nicely.

After you buy your caps, I'd like to see more photos of this aluminum dipstick cover, please.

I don't think the caps will look as obvious once I get all the hoses swapped to blue. But we shall see. If the weather would stay nice up here for a few hours I could finish off all my pipes so I can get around to installing everything.