Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Chirping sound coming from engine ... (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/622627-chirping-sound-coming-engine.html)

gdal 10-16-2010 06:07 PM

Chirping sound coming from engine ...

Hey guys,

I have noticed a chirping sound coming form the right-side of the engine (closest to the air intake). It only happens first thing in the morning or at idle.

TIA,
G

CraigSE 10-17-2010 12:20 PM

Is it rotational based or is it constant?
I was going to suggest pulley bearing, but not if its on the battery side of the engine..

gdal 10-17-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CraigSE (Post 7778586)
Is it rotational based or is it constant?
I was going to suggest pulley bearing, but not if its on the battery side of the engine..

it's definitively rotational based. It's a high-pitch squeak that sounds more like a chirp... I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure is coming from the battery side.

michael454rs 10-17-2010 04:31 PM

i have a chirp also but mine is coming from one of the pulleys dont witch one lol

Mr. Brett 10-17-2010 05:21 PM

Well, take a stethescope and poke it down in there. It'll tell you which pulley is squealing real fast.

It might also be an over-tightened/loosened, or worn belt.

datsunzcar84 10-17-2010 09:35 PM

I had a sound similar to this . In the morning or when it was raining it was annoying. Turned out My main bolt was missing on my alternator... And let me say it's a pita to get to.
Sorry just my .02

gdal 11-03-2010 11:37 AM

The chirping/squeaking noise is coming from the clutch. It goes away when press the clutch pedal. I can hear it whenever it's on neutral and I'm not pressing the clutch pedal.

Any advice? Is the clutch going bad?

kbohip 11-03-2010 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by gdal (Post 7799658)
The chirping/squeaking noise is coming from the clutch. It goes away when press the clutch pedal. I can hear it whenever it's on neutral and I'm not pressing the clutch pedal.

Sounds like it's the throwout bearing. My parents used to have a '90 Pathfinder which made the same noise. They never got it fixed and so far it's still going. I think it's only had around 20-30k miles put on it since the noise first started though. Actually, it could also be a pilot bearing.

When does the noise occur? Does it happen when the clutch is pressed in or when the trans. is in neutral? Bah, nm. For some reason I completely missed your last post.:o As I said before though this sounds like it could be a bad throwout bearing.

mandyfig 11-03-2010 12:48 PM

Surre it is not the alt?

Nelsito65 11-03-2010 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by gdal (Post 7799658)

I have a Chevy pick up truck with the same issue. The chirping goes away as soon as I tap on the clutch. I noticed that the clutch pedal sits much higher than the brake pedal and I have thought about jamming something at the base of that pedal so it sits at a level closer to that of the brake, but I'm not sure if that would cause damage to the clutch.
As previous posters have noted, I've found some information that also points to a throwout bearing. Another one suggested pumping some grease through a grease nipple on the bell housing of my truck, which I haven't tried yet.

gdal 11-11-2010 06:09 PM

I did some more research here and it seems that the input shaft bearing is going out ... pretty penny ... ouch

gdal 11-12-2010 05:25 PM

I need to get it checked ... it just sounds like a squeaky belt and it doesn't happen all the time. The clutch seems fine and its quiet.

Any advice fellas?

coldfear13 11-12-2010 05:29 PM

I get that too at very low RPM, got it checked out, guy said when the belts are changed it should go away. Also it happens more often after rainy weather. Dont think it should be much of a problem it its just a sound and no difference in car's behavior.

gdal 11-12-2010 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by coldfear13 (Post 7810950)
I get that too at very low RPM, got it checked out, guy said when the belts are changed it should go away. Also it happens more often after rainy weather. Dont think it should be much of a problem it its just a sound and no difference in car's behavior.

I had my belts and tensioner replaced and the noise is still there. It's just annoying ... I'm concerned because I hope is not the input shaft bearing, but I'm not having any issues/weird noises coming from the clutch.

The noise is more noticeable when it's colder out and like I said before it's not coming from the acc. belt area. It's coming from the tranny housing.

Thanks

nelledge 11-12-2010 10:48 PM

As previously mentioned, it's most likely your TO bearing. Classic symptoms.

OT - Why are people continuing to post about the belts and pulleys when OP stated it was from the driver side AND later stated it was correlated to clutch pedal movement? :confused:

maximadave 11-13-2010 10:20 AM

my Max is doing the same. It is the throw out bearing Mine has been making noise for the last 3+ years.