5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this?
Yes. I would love to embellish the inside of my Maxima
92.86%
No. I don't care what the inside of my Maxima looks like.
7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Redline Goods door inserts interest thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Redline Goods door inserts interest thread

So I've been communicating with Redline Goods regarding building custom door inserts for our cars. Maciek has interest in this, but would like me to send him one of them so he can take measurements. I am going to do that as soon as I take one of the doors panels off and find out how they come off. I also need to know if they are all the same size. I will try to get busy on this next week.

Eventually, he may be able to offer a group buy if enough of you show interest in this.

Is this something that you would be interested in or not?

Last edited by rroderiques77; 10-23-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:18 PM

Want.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:15 AM

What type of pattern are we talking about here? Regardless, it sounds interesting.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:10 AM

Oh wow, I never thought of that. My interior is Frost Cloth, like yours.

Yes. Definitely yes. Good one, Roy.

I like the wording of your poll choices.
  1. Yes, because I am smart and good-looking.
  2. No, because I'm a douchbag who punches kittens.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-24-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:43 AM

I want plad.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 AM

Sounds good depending on price point
Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 AM
You embarrass me.

Yes. Definitely. I spoke to him a while back about it, but never got around to sending them out. They are pretty simple last time I checked. A bunch of push clips and probably some light adhesive.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Froggmann
What type of pattern are we talking about here? Regardless, it sounds interesting.
Probably anything you want really. I am thinking about matching my center console look.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Oh wow, I never thought of that. My interior is Frost Cloth, like yours.

Yes. Definitely yes. Good one, Roy.

I like the wording of your poll choices.
  1. Yes, because I am smart and good-looking.
  2. No, because I'm a douchbag who punches kittens.
Or,

1. Yes, because I like myself because I'm strong.
2. NO, because I hate my car. I just drive it because I can't afford anything decent like a Civic

Originally Posted by scottygill
Sounds good depending on price point
Shouldn't be that expensive as the rest of its product is relatively cheap considering the good quality.

Originally Posted by lux97Max
hehheh o im just selling these

Delete your post now dipsh1t.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:07 PM

well, back on topic a little. i actually sent some inserts to redline to get custom ones made... although it was for a 4th gen im sure they will do it for you. its pretty pricey though. pm me if you wanna know what i had to go through... and im still working on them...
Old 10-25-2010, 05:41 AM

While likely available info elsewhere, it's still on-topic to this thread... so how do you remove the door panel inserts?

And for the mod who cleaned up this thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Rochester; 10-25-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:44 AM

i want crown royal inserts
Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by phatboislim
i want crown royal inserts
I was thinking PBR myself.

I am not sure how to take off the inserts yet. Someone said they held on by clips or something to that nature. I will find out soon.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:00 AM

when i redid the inserts in my teg to black tweed, it was held on by adhesive upholstery glue..
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Banned

Sounds great i love the idea wouldnt mind matching my center console look 2.
i think the inside is just as important as the outside

Last edited by Clashez; 10-25-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
when i redid the inserts in my teg to black tweed, it was held on by adhesive upholstery glue..
That's always an option, to use upholstery glue for the leather over the cloth, and then tuck it into the edges.

But I know, I've seen FS threads for OEM leather inserts as whole pieces. I'm just wondering if you have to take the door panel off in order to remove the insert.

I suppose I could slip a flat-head into the panel and see if it unclips. I hate doing that blindly, though.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:24 AM

i havent removed the door panel to see how its applied, persay. as far as i know its just, where it is, no reason to necessarily remove the door panel. but when i did the teg, i did it so i could prep where i was going to apply the glue and also so i wouldnt have any excess glue sprayed anywhere in the car.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 AM

I am down for that.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 AM
You embarrass me.

Before anyone tries prying their inserts, I'm 99% sure there were clips securing them to the panel itself. I wouldn't want anyone to have a bent insert. Take the door panel off, it's really easy.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Before anyone tries prying their inserts, I'm 99% sure there were clips securing them to the panel itself. I wouldn't want anyone to have a bent insert. Take the door panel off, it's really easy.
If you would save us the search, zero, since it's on topic... how do we do that, please?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 AM

what Rochester said
Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 AM
You embarrass me.

Front door panels (from memory)
1. Remove screw cap from door pull and remove screw.
2. Take a flathead screwdriver wrapped in a towel, and pry door handle surround off by separating at forward most point.
3. Unclip armrest panel and disconnect power window/lock connection. If driver's door, disconnect memory seat (if applicable) and trunk/fuel lid plugs.
4. Remove screw cap near dashboard/mirror area and remove screw.
5. Pull triangular mirror surround piece towards you from top.
6. Reach towards bottom of panel and pull to release clips from door itself. Work your way from the bottom towards each side of panel.
7. Once all clips are released, pull door panel up close to the window to slide seal out. Make sure to disconnect courtesy light plug.

Hope this helps. If you even tried this without opening said door first, step away from a car.

Last edited by zero2sixtyZ; 10-25-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

No need to remove the door panel. The inserts are glued to the front and it doesn't appear to be access from the back. The rear door inserts are a couple of inches longer than the fronts. So, I will have to send one of each. It will be a little tricky to glue the new inserts as there will be nothing to clip onto. I am open to suggestions...anyone??

Old 10-26-2010, 04:36 AM

the hardest part of this would just be to make sure the fabric dimensions are conducive to being able to be seated evenly around the seams without being short
Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM

You CAN easiliy remove the entire insert from the back of the door. I know because I have done it. I put 9" midbass speakers in my door and removed the insert and added CCF behind it. There are seven tabs that are easily bent up from the back side once the door panel is removed.

Zero2sixtyZ's process is correct except that you don't need to remove the side mirror's triangle piece. Below are pics of the panel removed.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:25 AM
You embarrass me.

I knew I wasn't going crazy.

I mentioned the triangle just as a precaution when lifting the panel up so it doesn't dent/scratch the panel itself.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I knew I wasn't going crazy.

I mentioned the triangle just as a precaution when lifting the panel up so it doesn't dent/scratch the panel itself.
It's not a bad idea, but sometimes people break them removing them before pulling the door panel off too. It is really simple to take the door panel off, you just need to care more than a Best Buy employee does.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Thanks for the pics Piokej. They were very helpful as I haven't had the chance to remove my door panels (again) to inspect how the inserts would be applied. Looks like it is pretty straight forward.

Even though SinCity Max is going back to stock, I'm still going to finish this project. The inside of the doors look naked without any fabric in it and I also want to know how well Redline Goods made my inserts. I will try to get them installed next week. Plus it would not be beneficial to sell the car with the driver's side panels completely naked.

EDIT: One thing that does suck is scraping all that old foam material off. Very boring and tedious.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by pionkej
You CAN easiliy remove the entire insert from the back of the door. I know because I have done it. I put 9" midbass speakers in my door and removed the insert and added CCF behind it. There are seven tabs that are easily bent up from the back side once the door panel is removed.

Zero2sixtyZ's process is correct except that you don't need to remove the side mirror's triangle piece. Below are pics of the panel removed.

So the inside of my insert does not have those clips to de-attach it from the door panel like yours. There is no way to remove the door insert without cutting it off. The only way to attach the covers are from the outside. I wonder why mine is like that. I see yours in an 03. Maybe the 02s are different. That is the rear panel I have pictured. I checked the front one and it is the same. And yes, I did remove that crappy fabric lining and the clips are not hiding behind it

I guess I will attempt them from the outside, but it is not going to be easy that way.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
I wonder why mine is like that. I see yours in an 03. Maybe the 02s are different.
Maybe the difference is due to cloth vs. leather?

pionkej's interior is factory leather, whereas yours is cloth.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Maybe the difference is due to cloth vs. leather?

pionkej's interior is factory leather, whereas yours is cloth.
Yeah, maybe. So are his door inserts leather?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
Yeah, maybe. So are his door inserts leather?
Sure looks that way from his picture. Look how the material is stretched as it wraps around the panel. There's that, and the fact that most SE's came in leather. There are very few of us with cloth SE's out there. (Even fewer without a sunroof.)

What the heck are you doing, anyway? I thought you parted your car down and were selling it? Or are you just going to de-mod all the performance out of it, and turn your little beastie into a highway cruiser?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

So I was able to peel the plastic lining OFF THE PANEL.

Using all purpose glue, I glued the fabric to the plastic insert and will let it sit overnight. Much like the armrest cover, this application shoud settle just fine.

One thing I have to figure out is how I am going to glue the platic piece back on the door panel. I will not be able to secure it with clips, but the plastic is somewhat hard, so it should hold up when glued.

Last edited by rroderiques77; 12-20-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Sure looks that way from his picture. Look how the material is stretched as it wraps around the panel. There's that, and the fact that most SE's came in leather. There are very few of us with cloth SE's out there. (Even fewer without a sunroof.)

What the heck are you doing, anyway? I thought you parted your car down and were selling it? Or are you just going to de-mod all the performance out of it, and turn your little beastie into a highway cruiser?
My wife is probably going to be driving it after it is completely demodded. Even if I was selling it, I wanted to finish this project. I hate leaving unfinished business behind. Besides, Redline Goods is doing the other side free of charge as long as I provide them with detailed instructions. I figured this way others can take advantage of this knowledge.

And besides, I can't have fun anymore because it is being demodded? WTF?? LOL!!!!

Last edited by rroderiques77; 12-20-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:19 PM

There are very few of us with cloth SE's out there. (Even fewer without a sunroof.)
That's me.

Black SE 6MT, cloth interior, no sunroof, manual HVAC controls, non-LSD, non-Bose...
Old 12-21-2010, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by nismopc
That's me.

Black SE 6MT, cloth interior, no sunroof, manual HVAC controls, non-LSD, non-Bose...
I almost think we can take pride in this, although I do enjoy the luxury of the Meridian package, a sunroof and BOSE (although the latter two are not always enjoyable...)
Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by nismopc
That's me.

Originally Posted by tcb_02_max
I almost think we can take pride in this, although I do enjoy the luxury of the Meridian package, a sunroof and BOSE (although the latter two are not always enjoyable...)
Sometimes, but usually it's regret that I feel. Back in Fall 2002, I never thought I'd have this car 8 years later. And yet, here I am, modifying it and taking better care of it than the day it rolled off the carrier.

In other words, if I knew then that I'd feel this way about my car after all these years, I would have bought a fully optioned TE 6MT in Polished Ti.

I think there's a lesson learned there somewhere.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

So here is the finished product. Not as tight of a fit as I wanted, but it looks better than the original.

BEFORE

AFTER

Old 12-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Im sorry to sound rude, but that could be done better RRoderigues. I had to tell it to you.. i know there must be a better way of doing it.

If RedlineGoods is willing to make these, il take some in black Alcantara diamond quilted with red stitching, with a matching shifter boot of course
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by s1mply_v
Im sorry to sound rude, but that could be done better RRoderigues. I had to tell it to you.. i know there must be a better way of doing it.

If RedlineGoods is willing to make these, il take some in black Alcantara diamond quilted with red stitching, with a matching shifter boot of course
I agree. I don't like the way the pattern looks. But another way of doing it? There is no way to remove the insert from the panel.

Redline Goods will do these. That is the whole purpose of this thread. As far as a better way of putting them on, I would love to get your take on it.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:12 PM

OEM leather door inserts FTW (obviously not in YOUR car rroderiques, but for those who have leather seats...)

Quick Reply: Redline Goods door inserts interest thread