5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000SE ABS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 PM

2000SE ABS Sensors

Earlier in the year, I broke both my front ABS sensors during a front end job on my 2000 SE. I didn't replace at the time, but with winter coming up, I would like to get the ABS working again.

I was looking to get some used ones (the $150 new price is pretty steep), but I was trying to determine if it has to come from another 2000? All the part numbers between to the 2000 and other 5th gen years are different, so I'm thinking they are different parts. I also thought I read somewhere here that after 2000, they got rid of the tranny speed sensor and began using the ABS sensor for those applications (i.e., speedometer), so I guess it wouldn't be a surprised if the ABS sensor was changed after 2000 as well.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 PM

There may be different part numbers, but I doubt they're that different and as long as the connectors are the same, you can most likely use the other part with a slight modification. For example, I had to replace a right rear ABS sensor on my 2001 I30 and my buddy had a sensor from a 5th gen Maxima laying around. The connectors matched (as did the cable length)... but we had to use the I30's mounting bracket as the Max's bracket was different. The wire just kinda wrapped around / fit into the bracket so not difficult at all to modify. I'd recommend once you find a place with used ones (from any other 5th gen Max), remove yours (brackets and all), bring to the seller and compare yours with what you're looking to buy. Should be pretty easy to tell. BTW - Once we replaced the sensor, the ABS light went out immediately... no need to remove the negative battery terminal like reseting the SES light. Hope this helps!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by UConnJack
Earlier in the year, I broke both my front ABS sensors during a front end job on my 2000 SE. I didn't replace at the time, but with winter coming up, I would like to get the ABS working again.

I was looking to get some used ones (the $150 new price is pretty steep), but I was trying to determine if it has to come from another 2000? All the part numbers between to the 2000 and other 5th gen years are different, so I'm thinking they are different parts. I also thought I read somewhere here that after 2000, they got rid of the tranny speed sensor and began using the ABS sensor for those applications (i.e., speedometer), so I guess it wouldn't be a surprised if the ABS sensor was changed after 2000 as well.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks!
Nissan was changing ABS sensors through these years. In 2000 all of them were coil type, just spool of wire wound on a iron kernel. In 2001 they started to move towards solid state sensors which are not compatible with 2k. IIRC in 2001 it depended on AT/MT version of the car, I forgot which one is compatible with 2k. Later they switched entirely to solid state sensors.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
Nissan was changing ABS sensors through these years. In 2000 all of them were coil type, just spool of wire wound on a iron kernel. In 2001 they started to move towards solid state sensors which are not compatible with 2k. IIRC in 2001 it depended on AT/MT version of the car, I forgot which one is compatible with 2k. Later they switched entirely to solid state sensors.
Thanks, this is very helpful, although unfortunate since it really limits where I can get them used. I know you said you couldn't remember whether a 2001 MT or AT might be compatible with a 2000 (MT, BTW), but do you know where I might be able to find out? I could always call a service depatment of course and try to get it from them, I guess.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by UConnJack
Thanks, this is very helpful, although unfortunate since it really limits where I can get them used. I know you said you couldn't remember whether a 2001 MT or AT might be compatible with a 2000 (MT, BTW), but do you know where I might be able to find out? I could always call a service depatment of course and try to get it from them, I guess.
Sorry, I slightly misled you - it 'looks' like 2000 and 2001 all models use the same sensor. 2002/2003 MT still use the same while AT use incompatible one.

Source: FSM for corresponding year, Brake section -> Service Data and Specifications -> ABS Wheel Sensor. I concluded the above by looking at the Resistance of the sensor - new ones don't use coil anymore so it is meaningless to speak about their 'resistance'. Parts department if they're good could be more precise of course.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 AM

DaveB charged me $100 for a new one.