5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Alignment alright?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 04:02 PM

Alignment alright?

Hi everyone,

I just got my car aligned on Friday and I was wondering if anyone could help me determine if it's ok.

Toe was .08 for both, everything was good except for camber for the right side was .6 while driver side was .1 It feels alright once the car's rolling, but from a stop, if I put it in gear and start picking up slowly, (as in if you were to let off your brakes and let the car start rolling from a stop in an auto), the steering wheel moves to the right slightly, but enough that you should adjust it. Don't have the numbers on me right at this moment, but can put them up in a bit. Would the camber be the cause for this? Tire Pressure was measured and all are even at 33 PSI. I doubt it's torque steer cause I'm coming nowhere near flooring it.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM

Everything's in spec from what I remember from using my buddy's alignment machine.

Camber shouldn't make a vehicle pull by any means. All camber is doing is tilting the top of the tire inward or outward...not side to side.

However, even though our cars do have a pretty decent-sized range for what is considered "in spec" for our camber amount, considering it's non-adjustable and you have a different reading for both sides, I'd check to make sure all your endlinks, sway bar bushings, struts, strut mounts, tie rods, etc, are healthy and not worn or bent.

As far as pulling to the right, are you sure it's not just the crown in the road? I know with my car lowered, I feel it pull a lot harder on the far-most inner or outer lanes on the interstate. It might also be possible that you have a slightly sticky caliper, or a bearing that's starting to wear out.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the reply, I actually just had alot of my suspension changed including kyb gr2 shocks n struts, moog mounts, moog sway bar links,bushings, tie rod ends and ball joints. It might just be my imagination, but I'm pretty certain the steering wheel tilts to the right slightly when the car starts from a stop.

I'm not hearing any noise from bearings and just took off my brakes to inspect the pads cause I was planning on switching them out but they seemed to be in good condition. I'll take another look though. Tires are also new Hankook ventus v4's at the oem recommended size 225/50/17 and stock SE rims installed over the summer. I wasn't sure if it was the camber that caused the problem.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Just because a bearing isn't making any noise doesn't necessarily mean it's not on its way out.

Bearings don't start actually making noticeable noise until they're way far gone. In fact, they might be making noise, it's just being cancelled out by other sounds, like the motor, road noise, etc.

As far as the camber thing, if everything is new, I wouldn't fret too much. 0.1 and 0.6 are so close, that there's no reason to worry. 0.5* is not going to affect driveability at all.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:43 PM

o ok. The only thing I'm worried about is if it'll affect longevity of the tires. If from the sounds of it things are alright, and the slight steering pull at start up isn't anything significant, then I'm pretty happy. I think it takes about 7 seconds before the car starts pulling out of the lane
Old 11-14-2010, 07:46 PM

Half a degree of camber won't (shouldn't) wear your tires funny. If you're worried about it, once you hit 8 or 9k miles, rotate the tires and check for any uneven wear. It'll be glaringly obvious by then.

Rotating your tires will definitely help extend their lifespans, though.

Does the car actually start to drift only to the right after 7 seconds or so? At what speeds? And how hard does it drift?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:50 PM

Yea, I plan on rotating them probably every half a year. I didnt exactly time it or anything, its just a little guess. It doesn't always do it too so I guess it's the road. If it does, its like a slow lane change when going around 40 to 50. at higher speeds it seems to track better. Thanks alot for the help btw, everytime I see slcpunk i think about that dog getting owned lol