5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Touring kit!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 07:32 PM

Touring kit!

I ordered the stillen touring kit from GR racing ($759) and it should be here early next week (whoo hoo!!!!!!)

I called around to a few body shops around here and the best i got was from Macco ($250 for paint and $100 to $150 for the install)

Do these numbers sound okay?

I'll post lots of pics as soon as the car gets back to my house!!
Old 12-18-2001, 07:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Numbers look very good. Paint is cheap, just make sure they do a good job and are a respectable shop and you have heard from references that they do a good job.

Painting is a art, some people who do only know how to do it but not the true technique.

Dixit
Old 12-18-2001, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Numbers look very good. Paint is cheap, just make sure they do a good job and are a respectable shop and you have heard from references that they do a good job.

Painting is a art, some people who do only know how to do it but not the true technique.

Dixit
Yeah, they said they could paint it for cheaper if i wanted a "lower quality" paint job, but since i ave a newer car he reccomended the highest quality paint job. Plus it's macco, they specialize in painting, hopefully they will know what they are doing
Old 12-18-2001, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Versace

Yeah, they said they could paint it for cheaper if i wanted a "lower quality" paint job, but since i ave a newer car he reccomended the highest quality paint job. Plus it's macco, they specialize in painting, hopefully they will know what they are doing
{on my 05 max}
Macco charged me $250 to paint my oem bumper and did a horrible job. I also had them paint my Stillen body kit for $200, they painted the front lip great and the sideskirts but they did a lousy job on the rear valence. I guess it depends on which employee you get to paint your car. I would not go there again with my new car.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:04 PM

whoaaaaaaaaaaa there, just cause is a Macco dont mean they can do a good job! They are known as a CHEAP place to get your car painted. Always has been and always will be. I mean come on, if they can paint your whole car for $400 with the TOP OF THE LINE paint, why does a real painter who is accredited charge over $2000+? Clearly it is because they do a lowsy job in masking, painting, and everything. Use cheap paint, cheap everything.

My suggestion like I said it talk to people and find out who is the best shop in your area and find out the prices.
Old 12-18-2001, 11:47 PM

Call your insurance agent, ask them who they use. Normally a good company like State Farm or Alstate has a rating list that'll keep you out of a jam.
Old 12-19-2001, 12:46 AM

Don't go to Maaco. Avoid them like the plague. They screw up almost every job they do, and when they do manage to get it right, the paint is so thin it falls off in a year anyway. I'm speaking from personal experience. Take your business elsewhere.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:19 AM

Ditto on the NO Maaco! Do some research and do it right the first time. Painting is an art and you want someone with a professional down-draft booth and the willingness to take the TIME necessary to do it correctly.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:22 PM

How bout that Earl Schieb place..
Old 12-19-2001, 06:04 PM

MAACO IS BAD!
Old 12-19-2001, 07:47 PM

i heard that maaco uses crayola colors as their paints
Old 12-19-2001, 11:19 PM

Hmmm... Interesting posts... i went there today to check out the facilities... they are pretty nice, a down draft spray booth, a full bodyshop, warranties on the paint... actually The guy i talked to was just finishing up the install of a bodykit when i came in. Are you guys sure about the no Macco?

He did say thay mettalic colors are hard to match, but with a flat black car he can get the paint to match perfect. They use sherwin Williams paint, lol not crayola, and they put a basecoat on and a thick clearcoat overtop.

Other prices were a little insane, like $1000 for paint and install from another place
Old 12-19-2001, 11:34 PM

Hmmm... Interesting posts... i went there today to check out the facilities... they are pretty nice, a down draft spray booth, a full bodyshop, warranties on the paint... actually The guy i talked to was just finishing up the install of a bodykit when i came in. Are you guys sure about the no Macco?

He did say thay mettalic colors are hard to match, but with a flat black car he can get the paint to match perfect. They use sherwin Williams paint, lol not crayola, and they put a basecoat on and a thick clearcoat overtop.

Other prices were a little insane, like $1000 for paint and install from another place
Its your car, dont say we did not warn you.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:11 AM

uh oh....

he's going to Maaco......
Old 12-20-2001, 07:11 AM

My best friend does custom paint here in Houston (Check out Big-os.com). He just won 1st and 2nd place in the Race Bike class for paint at the Houston AutoRama. I asked him what his thoughts were and...

He said he has seen a number of cars done at Maaco and their main downfall is the prep. He claims that they do not remove lights, grills, trim, etc. from the vehicle, they just tape. Also, they do a cursory run over the car with a "scotchbrite?" type product to rough up the surface rather than wetsand. Without a thorough wetsanding, the paint will not last...PERIOD! My bud, Ed, had a Porsche 911 that he and a friend wetsanded and removed all the trim, etc. and then sent to Maaco. Once they painted and cleared the car, Ed brought the car back to the shop and polished it himself...It turned out nice. Ed says Sherwin Williams is decent. If you can, upgrade to Glasruit Paint. Wetsand yourself and remove as much trim, lighting, etc. as possible to eliminate taping.

Good luck Bro!
Old 12-20-2001, 07:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Touring kit!

I ordered the stillen touring kit from GR racing ($759) and it should be here early next week (whoo hoo!!!!!!)

I called around to a few body shops around here and the best i got was from Macco ($250 for paint and $100 to $150 for the install)

Do these numbers sound okay?

I'll post lots of pics as soon as the car gets back to my house!!
is that $759 including the side skirts and the rear valence?
if it is, that's a really good price you got there.
Old 12-20-2001, 08:24 PM

Yeah it's 759 for everything... go to www.eatricezone.com and e-mail him. Those are his prices. Thanks for all the replies about Macco.. i appeciate it.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah it's 759 for everything... go to www.eatricezone.com and e-mail him. Those are his prices. Thanks for all the replies about Macco.. i appeciate it.
uh...nah...i already have my kits...touring lip with sides and the rear.
oh, btw...i got your email about my pics...and uh..well, i didn't take any yet, but i'm going to take some very soon. i'll send you some pics when i do tho.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by irvine78

uh...nah...i already have my kits...touring lip with sides and the rear.
oh, btw...i got your email about my pics...and uh..well, i didn't take any yet, but i'm going to take some very soon. i'll send you some pics when i do tho.
Sounds good... what color car do you have? The kit direct from stillen was 8xx.. where did you get your kit from?