5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Automatic Trans Motor Mount Replacement Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 AM

Automatic Trans Motor Mount Replacement Options

Ok, so I'm trying to figure out the best, cheapest way to replace my 4AT motor mounts on my '02.

I'd LIKE to get the ES torque mounts, but in order for those to fit, I'd have to get a 6MT crossmember with the manual motor mounts on it, right? Or can I just keep my old crossmember and swap these onto it? :::
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...?prod=7%2E1114

On the ES website there, it says that those motor mounts will replace the electric auto ones, but they're just not electric. Is ES just selling the bushings in that link, or does that include the actual mounts too, and will they fit on the crossmember for the auto maxima?

I don't really want to get OEM replacements ($400+)... but what are all my options for replacing ALL FOUR motor mounts in my '02 4AT?
Thanks for any help. This has me thoroughly confused...

Last edited by jowo9; 12-06-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 AM

What you can do is get the full set of 4 motor mounts off ebay, none are electric and they are all MT mounts, if you want to go stiffer, then you can get the ES bushing pressed into those ebay mounts, they wont fit in the auto electronic mounts.

The difference is the mounts themselves, the crossmember itself is the same and MT mounts will bolt up to it just fine.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
What you can do is get the full set of 4 motor mounts off ebay, none are electric and they are all MT mounts, if you want to go stiffer, then you can get the ES bushing pressed into those ebay mounts, they wont fit in the auto electronic mounts.

The difference is the mounts themselves, the crossmember itself is the same and MT mounts will bolt up to it just fine.
Awesome. That sounds pretty good. Would anyone happen to have a link to the correct eBay set of 4? There seems to be several different listings...
Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...Q5fAccessories

I believe
Old 12-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What you can do is get the full set of 4 motor mounts off ebay, none are electric and they are all MT mounts
The mounts are actually auto...that is, the mount at the tranny on the driver side is auto specific, the other 3 are the same as for manual cars, but the torque mounts are not electronic. I just purchased a set for my 02 6 speed, and will need to buy the 6 speed tranny mount(auto and 6 speed are different for this mount) from Nissan as it can't be sourced elsewhere it seems, per a few threads on the topic. This set appears to be your cheapest solution, and seem to be identical to what I bought from another vendor who is not listing any at the moment.

Last edited by StevieB; 12-06-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by StevieB
What you can do is get the full set of 4 motor mounts off ebay, none are electric and they are all MT mounts
The mounts are actually auto...that is, the mount at the tranny on the driver side is auto, the other 3 are the same as for manual cars, but the torque mounts are not electronic. I just purchased a set for my 02 6 speed, and will need to buy the 6 speed tranny mount from Nissan as it can't be sourced elsewhere it seems.
Oh. Good to know. Well that works for me, because I'm auto but wanted to go with manual-style torque mounts and get the ES bushings pressed in.

This has been really good. Thanks for all the constructive info guys. I really appreciate it, and I'm sure others will too.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by StevieB
The mounts are actually auto...that is, the mount at the tranny on the driver side is auto specific, the other 3 are the same as for manual cars, but the torque mounts are not electronic. I just purchased a set for my 02 6 speed, and will need to buy the 6 speed tranny mount(auto and 6 speed are different for this mount) from Nissan as it can't be sourced elsewhere it seems, per a few threads on the topic. This set appears to be your cheapest solution, and seem to be identical to what I bought from another vendor who is not listing any at the moment.

**He is right, the transmission mount is designed for auto tranny
Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM

**He is right, the transmission mount is designed for auto tranny
And can you confirm that the ES bushings will fit in those eBay torque mounts? I know auto mounts are the wrong size...
Old 12-06-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
And can you confirm that the ES bushings will fit in those eBay torque mounts? I know auto mounts are the wrong size...
As you stated, the problem with the ES inserts is they won't fit on an OEM electronic auto torque mount. I can't remember if anyone has posted they used the ES inserts on the EBay mounts though, sorry. I haven't installed them yet, so haven't compared them to the OEM mount dimensions either.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:41 PM

Has anyone tried putting ES bushings in the eBay torque motor mounts?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:41 PM

Did you get these and install them yet? Pretty sure I need to replace mine but I was awaiting a review.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

why not diy your own polyurethane mounts
Old 12-13-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by vastmax
Did you get these and install them yet? Pretty sure I need to replace mine but I was awaiting a review.
No. I'll be doing them in the spring/summer. I'd still like to know if the ES torque mount bushings fit in the eBay mounts.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:52 PM

I've gotten those mounts from ebay for my auto. As I remember ES bushings come in 23mm in diameter, if you want I could check for you the size of those I have.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by shaks
I've gotten those mounts from ebay for my auto. As I remember ES bushings come in 23mm in diameter, if you want I could check for you the size of those I have.
You're thinking of the sway bar bushings. I BELIEVE the manual motor mounts are 90mm, so if you have those you could check and see if the ebay mounts are 90mm...

Oh, and how do you like them on your auto? Mine's auto, so I want to know if they're stiffer, etc...
Old 12-14-2010, 04:33 AM

I have put the ES bushing in the stock engine mount, but you need to weld a ring inside the mount so the bushing fit snug. It cost me 50$ to have a shop to do that for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:05 AM

I already have some poly bushing front and rear mounts but I dont want the care vibrating at idle like i've read on the org. I'll probably jsut pick up these ebay mounts and be done with it.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 AM

That listing seems to claim they're Nissan "OEM" parts. Whoever ordered them, did they come in Nissan baggies with the part numbers, or were they put together someplace in deep, deep China?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 PM

I've recently done the frt/rear mounts... Try and see if someone on the forum has a set of MT mounts and put the ES bushings in them. Thats the route I went. The vibration is minimal, don't make that a deciding factor.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
That listing seems to claim they're Nissan "OEM" parts. Whoever ordered them, did they come in Nissan baggies with the part numbers, or were they put together someplace in deep, deep China?
You need to read between the lines

Originally Posted by onlinewholesaleparts
BRAND NEW OEM QUALITY ENGINE MOTOR MOUNT SET 4
They are not OEM, they are OEM QUALITY.

I have the same ones and they are very nice quality and come in baggies, but with the company name and part #, not Nissan name and part #.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Suspension Yoda

Just clarifying some things - which have not yet been explicitly stated.

1. The ES poly mounts are not for all 4. They only make them to be pressed into the front and rear engine mounts.

2. The 'electronic' mounts are only on the OEM front and rear. The other two are not electronic, regardless of if you have auto/manual.

3. You still have to get OEM or OEM replacements for the other 2 mounts - the transmission and transverse mounts. The only way to stiffen these 2 up is to do the DIY poly mount.

Last edited by djfrestyl; 12-17-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
You're thinking of the sway bar bushings. I BELIEVE the manual motor mounts are 90mm, so if you have those you could check and see if the ebay mounts are 90mm...

Oh, and how do you like them on your auto? Mine's auto, so I want to know if they're stiffer, etc...
sorry, by mistake i put the other size even not realizing that was wrong

for me the difference is REALLY significant as I've gotten my car with messed up mounts. I got a set from ebay for 100 bucks - chinese ones, but didn't really care that much...

right now it's way better than with bad ones

I could compare them to my friends ride - he said that mine are softer than his, I'm not sure if he has oem, but probably he does.

After driving his car I could say that they are a bit stiffer when you shift onto drive position, but after that I can barely feel shifts.
that's all my experience for now, I have them on the car for 1000 miles now

as for oem ones - as all we know they are electronically controlled, I spoke to Dave B earlier couple weeks ago and he said to disconnect them if i still have genuine mount as they cause misreadings and problems in electrical system
Old 12-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Suspension Yoda

^^ True. A bad electronic mechanism can actually short your ECU.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
3. You still have to get OEM or OEM replacements for the other 2 mounts - the transmission and transverse mounts. The only way to stiffen these 2 up is to do the DIY poly mount.
DJ, I had ES bushings pressed into the torque mounts almost 2 years ago now. (very happy) Lately, I've been on-again/off-again with springtime plans to replace the passenger- and transmission-mount with new OEM parts. They're almost 9 years old, but only 65K miles.

What's your opinion on those plans? Worthwhile effort, or wasted money?

(This is a thread-***** move, but totally on-topic. Sorry, Joel.)

Last edited by Rochester; 12-19-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Suspension Yoda

9 yrs is a long time, but 65k isn't. Very hard to tell. Check if you can see any visual defects.

The ones in there now - were they decent quality or china eBay ones?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:00 AM

9 yrs is a long time, but 65k isn't. Very hard to tell. Check if you can see any visual defects.

The ones in there now - were they decent quality or china eBay ones?
The ones in there now are original equipment. I would be replacing my factory passenger- and tranny-mounts with new ones, is all.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Suspension Yoda

Oh, wow your car is low mileage. They wear less than the front/rear do. I'd still go with a visual check to see how they're holding up. Even if you have to remove them to check, the transmission mount is about 20 minutes to remove, the transverse is about 30.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Oh, wow your car is low mileage. They wear less than the front/rear do. I'd still go with a visual check to see how they're holding up. Even if you have to remove them to check, the transmission mount is about 20 minutes to remove, the transverse is about 30.
They're only about $100/each as OEM parts, so if they're getting removed, then they're getting replaced.

Thanks for the estimate on time involved. Shame you're so far away. (It's a big state.)
Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Suspension Yoda

Indeed
Old 12-23-2010, 08:00 PM

Ones I bought from ebay look and feel solid, definitely will last. I only installed the PASS mount, Too lazy to do the other 3. I thin they were still ok.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:00 PM

I would rather keep the electronic front and rear. I must do the tranny though.