5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oil Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Oil Problems

i have a quick question, i have a 2k3 TE 6 Speed with 126k miles and i have some really bad oil problems. I know this model is bad for oil burning, and im installing the catch can this weekend, but i have to add a quart of oil every 600 miles and that seems really high. One time like right when i got the car at 116k, i didnt really know about the oil problem so i didnt check the oil(i was used to checking once a month) and then one day, the engine got noisy when i would decelerate, and the oil light would flash on. I immediately added 2 quarts of oil and did an oil change the next day, but i only got 3.5 quarts out, meaning i only had 1.5 in there when the light came on. Before and after this happened, i noticed that the top end when the engine is warmed, and especially when its cold is very noisy. I know my front valve cover has a little leak and i plan on replacing the gasket soon. Im thinking i may have a clogged oil passage and was wondering if there is a procedure for flushing the oil system? Also, i have heard something about changing the rear valvecover to the 6th gen one, but when i look them up on courtesy parts, they are the exact same part number. Any Ideas or advice? I really dont want to do a motor swap right now, so im trying to do some prevetitive stuff.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 PM

A qt every 600 miles is pretty excessive, I think the ones that do burn oil burn about a 1/2 qt per 1000 miles. Sounds like something else is amiss, perhaps a precat problem that scored the cylinder walls and is letting oil escape through the exhaust system.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:29 PM

I've driven my car now for approx. 55k miles. It's always burned oil. It's usually about 1qt/1k miles, but it's been as bad as 1qt. in 300 miles! I've tried a lot of different weights and brands, but the problem persists. Synthetic makes the oil loss problem worse. I'm running Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic now and it's slurping it up at 1qt./1k miles, or about what it burns with regular oil. This is the best I've done with synthetic oil. In the future I'm just going to run cheap 5W-30 and deal with it. The engine still feels the same power wise and I get the same fuel economy that I always have so I'm not worried about it.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
A qt every 600 miles is pretty excessive, I think the ones that do burn oil burn about a 1/2 qt per 1000 miles. Sounds like something else is amiss, perhaps a precat problem that scored the cylinder walls and is letting oil escape through the exhaust system.
Is there any way to check for this?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an 02 maxima se and had the same problem about 1 qt every 1000 miles. At 130,000 It died went through the troubleshooting( I have limited experience on cars) and narrowed it down to 2 cylinder and finally blown head gasket. I could not afford the cost of a shop so as of now I have removed engine and pulled apart during which time I realized part of my oil problem was it being sucked through pcv. Oil being low often may have caused other problems, find out tomorrow if heads are shot. I am sorry for rambling but my main question is can i put a 2005 maxima motor in my 2002 because for some reason i can find one with lower miles that is actually cheaper than the 2002.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:06 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

i had the same issue with my 02 changed the rear VC since it was bad but it was still burning alot of oil i had to change the engine
Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 AM

Agreed: 1qt per 600 miles = something BAD has happened internally.
@ 126k, you're technically due for a Timing Chain, and a major tuneup anyway.

Mine's been burning since day one -- and like others, i just watch the dipstick, and feed the hole.
I've never gotten worse than 1qt in 1k miles....never been THAT bad, in fact.
82k orig owner miles, and she's still running well.

You have two choices:
1. fix/replace the engine (and yes, a 2004+ motor IS your best bet) due to updated Piston Rings.
If You drop a 5.5gen in there....SAME issue.
2. Dump oil in it, and run it till it dies.

If you're not experiencing any major power loss or rough running, poor mileage etc -- there's really no harm in buying CHEAP OIL and feeding the ***** till it gives up the ghost.

Either way -- you need to start thinking about plan B with THAT motor.
Sorry man.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 12-07-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 AM

where is a good place to get engine rebuild parts for this motor? im not opposed to rebuilding, because I have the know how and a motor builder for a good friend, so i can do it, and it would be awesome to learn even more about this motor. Im going to replace my pcv valve and do the catch can this weekend, im also going to check my rear spark plugs, and at least get new valvecover gaskets, if not 6th gen valve covers.

Is there any way to just replace the rings?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by atyson474
I have an 02 maxima se and had the same problem about 1 qt every 1000 miles. At 130,000 It died went through the troubleshooting( I have limited experience on cars) and narrowed it down to 2 cylinder and finally blown head gasket. I could not afford the cost of a shop so as of now I have removed engine and pulled apart during which time I realized part of my oil problem was it being sucked through pcv. Oil being low often may have caused other problems, find out tomorrow if heads are shot. I am sorry for rambling but my main question is can i put a 2005 maxima motor in my 2002 because for some reason i can find one with lower miles that is actually cheaper than the 2002.
What do you mean being sucked through the PCV? like improperly sucked through it? because isnt that what the catch can mod is supposed to collect, the oil that gets sucked in along with the blowby?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 AM

I can't help you on the engine re-building -- but I CAN tell you, that I can recall nobody resolving any major oil consumption issues simply by replacing the Front or Rear VC's.

Moderate to heavy Oil consumption in the VQs is unquestionably due to bad
rings / sealing, is only solved by replacing them.

Nissan had a SERIOUS issue with the Piston Rings on i-4 engines, and actually DID a recall -- but unfortunately, wasn't as severe in the V-6 platforms, hence: no recall for us.
I'd suspect Nissan sourced the VQ rings from the same manuf., but since the failure rate wasn't as severe...well - you get the idea.

If you have the ability and access to a shop/mechanic -- don't bother doing the VC's until you do the entire rebuild -- or you'll simply have to do it again.

good luck.

gr
Old 12-07-2010, 06:28 PM

Mine burns oil pretty bad to me, slows a little when I add a bottle of Lucas but next year looking to get a newer engine 04 and up!!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:07 AM

Lucas helps, do a seafoam to clean out all that mess.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 AM

If I remember correctly the 04 valve cover switch was supposed to stop the oil from seeping into one of the rear sparkplug cylinders. My 03 burns oil too; about a qt every 1500 miles. I drove to my mom's house for Thanksgiving and forgot to check it and when I started hearing that "dragging chain" sound I knew I was low on oil. I checked it and found that I was over 2qts low. Added the oil and everything is back to normal again, btw I use either Castrol or Pennzoil high mileage 10w40.